K1600GTL in my garage for demo this weekend. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

K1600GTL in my garage for demo this weekend.

I have spent about 2-3 hours on the K1600GTL demo. I have it until Tuesday (it pays to be the friend of a dealer).

I have to tell you guys honestly. I have a K1600GT on pre-order, and although I am impressed with the K1600GTL, I don't know if I want to part with my K13GT.

I like the ergonomics a bit more on the K16GTL. I sit in it, not on it like my K13. The I6 is very nice...yes it is impecably smooth, makes nice sounds and has bags of power. However, my K13 does much the same with the exception of feeling a little "grainy" at times when I roll into the throttle, which is never a bother.

The GTL felt heavy to me. Heavier than what I am used to anyway, and heavier than I would want. In spite of that the steering was so light, and the bike handled extremely well. Not better than my K13, but very impressive.

Wind protection with my Aeroflow set up is better on my K13GT than the stock K16GTL. I'm sure the aftermarket will have answers to that, and to be fair protection on the GTL is still very good. I just felt a bit more wind on my hands/arms.

I also noticed some engine heat on my left foot/leg, and that's something I never feel on my 13GT.

So honestly guys, unless a K16GT test ride is significantly different to my K16GTL test ride, I'm probably going to pass on my pre-order.

The K13GT remains the champion of sport-touring bikes in my opinion. I think I am more pumped up for the water cooled 130hp boxer in a nice light and updated RT, which is bound to have the cool features of the new K16's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1,001.5 KB
ID:	13200   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	986.9 KB
ID:	13201   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	13202   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1,007.0 KB
ID:	13203   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	998.3 KB
ID:	13204  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 5:57 pm
Veteran

Interesting on the heat report. Notice any more turbulence behind the shield than the K1300GT? Pillion report on that?

I'm more curious as to how much damage any accidental tip-over does to the 6-cylinder and if the engine is affected -- if and when it happens. I can see the water pump being taken out on a right-side knock down via the foot brake lever. BMW seems to make the 6 more destroyable ($$) in the accidents than their older LT 4-cylinder model that had some modicum of fairing guards. You need to knock the 6 over onto both sides and see what damages incur for a test. The outside cylinders seem to be prone to a bust and could wipe out a big $$ engine if they crack open on a fall over. I've had enough of the $4,500 upsets to the plastics and mufflers on the K1200GT for a lifetime.

Our local dealer has sold zero of the 6-bangers, but has a demo they've been riding. Don't know if it's the economy or what, but they aren't in hot demand around here, but seems most dealer owners I've talked to say the same as well as the Honda G-W Lovers Association here. The quad-dealers are moving some stock though to farmers.

Don't know why you would want a water-cooled Boxer RT either. Harley has had a fair bit of issues with coolant leaks on their V-Rods with their water-cooled Porsche-designed engine. God only knows why the Honda CBR's overheat and blow coolant everywhere. Our local H-D shop doesn't even have a V-Rod on their floor now and might not for the foreseeable future. I doubt if BMW would do any better with a water-cooled Boxer until a decade or two later when they finally sort it out like their final drives 'that never go bad' (ahem!). Water-cooled is just more stuff to go wrong, maintenance by $$ dealers and special tools, more weight, and it's really not needed. I'm not signing onto buying a water-cooled Boxer at all. It's a proven design, and if they screw with it, it'll be a disaster with a major change every 2-3 years to correct 'deficiencies.' Simpler is better, but BMW manages to mess that up in short order by going over-techy and often creating another mess to straighten out the first mess (3-4 cam chain issue changes on the K44 series? And how many anti-warping airbox variations on the K1200's. Fuel-strips, and now back to old-style floats?). No doubt BMW coolant will be $50 a gallon too, plus the vacuum pump to install it.

Next will be a water-cooled lawnmower. Ugh!

Mack
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Interesting on the heat report. Notice any more turbulence behind the shield than the K1300GT? Pillion report on that?

I'm more curious as to how much damage any accidental tip-over does to the 6-cylinder and if the engine is affected -- if and when it happens. I can see the water pump being taken out on a right-side knock down via the foot brake lever. BMW seems to make the 6 more destroyable ($$) in the accidents than their older LT 4-cylinder model that had some modicum of fairing guards. You need to knock the 6 over onto both sides and see what damages incur for a test. The outside cylinders seem to be prone to a bust and could wipe out a big $$ engine if they crack open on a fall over. I've had enough of the $4,500 upsets to the plastics and mufflers on the K1200GT for a lifetime.

Our local dealer has sold zero of the 6-bangers, but has a demo they've been riding. Don't know if it's the economy or what, but they aren't in hot demand around here, but seems most dealer owners I've talked to say the same as well as the Honda G-W Lovers Association here. The quad-dealers are moving some stock though to farmers.

Don't know why you would want a water-cooled Boxer RT either. Harley has had a fair bit of issues with coolant leaks on their V-Rods with their water-cooled Porsche-designed engine. God only knows why the Honda CBR's overheat and blow coolant everywhere. Our local H-D shop doesn't even have a V-Rod on their floor now and might not for the foreseeable future. I doubt if BMW would do any better with a water-cooled Boxer until a decade or two later when they finally sort it out like their final drives 'that never go bad' (ahem!). Water-cooled is just more stuff to go wrong, maintenance by $$ dealers and special tools, more weight, and it's really not needed. I'm not signing onto buying a water-cooled Boxer at all. It's a proven design, and if they screw with it, it'll be a disaster with a major change every 2-3 years to correct 'deficiencies.' Simpler is better, but BMW manages to mess that up in short order by going over-techy and often creating another mess to straighten out the first mess (3-4 cam chain issue changes on the K44 series? And how many anti-warping airbox variations on the K1200's. Fuel-strips, and now back to old-style floats?). No doubt BMW coolant will be $50 a gallon too, plus the vacuum pump to install it.

Next will be a water-cooled lawnmower. Ugh!

Mack
As mentioned, less wind protection than my aerflowed K13. No pillion observations.

Geez.

The boxer has to get water cooled to meet emissions.

I have owned about 20 bikes in my lifetime with the exception of two, they were all water cooled and never had any problems.

I find it a little odd to preordain a design flawed before it is even birthed. What is it with this place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 9:43 pm
Enthusiast

Not sure about coolant issues with vrods. Until recently i had one and have been active on the 1130cc forum. Dont remember much mention of that. They are pretty much bullet proof compared to the harley airheads (and modern bimmers, for that matter. )
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 11:34 pm

,,,hey ENG943, what u thnk? will the fancy front turn signals off the 1600 fit the 13?

just thinkin.....

kbikeinbc
07 k1200gt
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 10:14 am
Noob

My impression of the GTL is about the same as yours. Nice bike, but heavier than my K12. The GTL seemed a little sluggish until I put in Dynamic mode, then it seemed to zip along pretty nicely. As much money as my current bike has cost me, I still love the ride better than any other bike I've ridden. When it finally wears out, then I may look to the GTL. Hopefully, by then all of the kinks will be worked out on the new model.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 12:11 pm
Addict

Thanks for the report.

I buy a new to me bike every 10 years or so.....

Hoping BMW gets the bugs worked out of the 16GTL by 2017.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 12:21 pm
Enthusiast

Interesting write-up eng, thanks for sharing. Love all the pics, although the real gem in your fine garage is the yellow tricycle...

Admittedly GMack is my homeboy and an interesting contributor to this forum (to say the least!) but I must give BMW the benefit of the doubt with their engineering & design changes. Yes I wish all their motorcycles and cars were red letter perfect and never broke down or showed signs of poor engineering but this is the real world. As I tell my kids every day, we live in a terribly imperfect world and must make the best of it.

I'm unlike most members here as I recently took up riding so I can't overtly boast that I've experienced every motorcycle make and variant since the beginning of time. I can however impart of all the bikes I've ridden on my short list, for my riding style and likes BMW makes the best overall motorcycle - period.

I love my 2008 K12GT and have pampered it for all the 9,400 miles it's been ridden thus far. I also like the K16GT and will give it a fair shake when I'm in the market for a new ride.

Thanks again eng.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Thanks for the write up. I especially liked the front view picture of both bikes and the good reality check that the current ride many of us are on is an amazing. As amazing as the new K16? Maybe not for all of us but the existing K12/13 is a great option for many well beyond the cost difference between the outgoing and new models.

I too test rode the K16GTL but that test ride talked me into ordering one, not out of it. Three days after placing the GTL order I hopped on the K12GT and took off on a four day, 1,200 mile trip which reminded me what an outstanding bike that is.

A lot of people will be picking up used K12/13GT's at very reasonable prices and I think they will be very happy with the value they get out of the bike.

'12 K1600GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode