Bike predicament - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Bike predicament

The guy I sold my 87 K75S to wants to sell it back. Price is right, $2200. He really wants me to have it I can tell, I was the original owner. The price represents about a $1000 loss for him, plus he did a bunch of work to it (electric fan for example, and braided stainless brake hoses).
But what would I do with a K75 and a 07 GT?? Too similar. The K75 is a nice commuter and I really do love that particular bike. The GT better for cold and rainy weather, better protection. I suppose I could just store the K75, it would be dumb to store the GT in my opinion.
Just commiserating. I don't want to keep the guy hanging long. The present owner even said if I decide to flip it I could make a few bucks at that price. I sold it with 93K and now has 98K miles.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
The guy I sold my 87 K75S to wants to sell it back. Price is right, $2200. He really wants me to have it I can tell, I was the original owner. The price represents about a $1000 loss for him, plus he did a bunch of work to it (electric fan for example, and braided stainless brake hoses).
But what would I do with a K75 and a 07 GT?? Too similar. The K75 is a nice commuter and I really do love that particular bike. The GT better for cold and rainy weather, better protection. I suppose I could just store the K75, it would be dumb to store the GT in my opinion.
Just commiserating. I don't want to keep the guy hanging long. The present owner even said if I decide to flip it I could make a few bucks at that price. I sold it with 93K and now has 98K miles.
Depending on how many bikes you have in your stable all ready I would get it as a spare for when the GT needs to be in the shop for 6 months or more.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 9:17 pm
Rookie

I say go for it, one can never have too many bikes, and each is in it's own place, or has a place to ride.

2008 FLHT
2008 R1200RT
1985 K100 RT
1979 XS 650 Street tracker
Ridden everything,owned lots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2011, 2:02 am

I have the opposite problem...

Your predicament made me chuckle at myself.
I have a 1992 K75s in the garage that has just under 40k miles on it. I've had it for 7 or 8 years, it is a wonderful bike. I've put a ton of money into it, most of which was not necessary, but worthwhile. But I bought a GT late last year, and the K75 has not been ridden since then. I have lots of adventures on it, and lots of "sweat equity". I bought it at a time when my life was very stressful, and that bike was a relief.
I love the K75s. I can't seem to actually go through with selling it.

Being the original owner, I would probably buy it back (if I were in your shoes). But some people aren't as sentimental about vehicles as others. The price sounds good too. I don't think you would ever regret buying it back, but I'll bet some day you'll regret it if you don't.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2011, 10:01 am
Addict

Heck buy it. With that many miles on its still more dependable than the GT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:37 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Still struggling with the "where do I put it, what do I do with it" thing. My wife wishes I wouldn't get attached to inanimate objects like this, not fully "in" to doing this. I look at the GT and wonder just what the hell I want to go back for. Thanks for the replies, I always try to make sure everyone knows I've read them and appreciate them. HA HA to 1951 and KBMWRS. So far the GT has been pretty good to me though.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2011, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
HA HA to 1951 and KBMWRS. So far the GT has been pretty good to me though.
Mine was good to me as well for 88,000 miles then , but time will tell. Like I asked before how many miles do you have on it? I don't think one has ever made it too 150,000 miles without a major problem, just not the BMW legacy I signed up for.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2011, 9:41 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Sorry I didn't know I was being asked the mileage, yeah nowhere near that, just like 11 or 12K. I don't ride nearly as much as you, hell even the K75 I "only" put 93K on in 20 yrs.
EDIT: Of course your riding season is probably longer in SC than it is in WI, but no good excuse to not put more miles on, just other interests.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2011, 9:43 pm
Enthusiast

After nearly 25 years with my S as my main ride it would be very hard to part with. It's not just a great bike but spans a huge part of my life & memories. If it ever dies I think I'll have it stuffed and hang it on the wall.

1987 RED K75S
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I keep an extra bike around that is often used by friends and family when they are in town. If I did not have folks other than me who were using the extra bike I would not own a second bike. Too much time and expense wrapped up in keeping them maintained, inspected, insured. If I had an empty nest at home I may think of it differently but with young kids it is a challenge finding time for one bike let alone two.

Another factor is the age of the other bike you are considering. A few folks have mentioned it is getting more difficult to get parts for that generation of bike. I'm not sure how true that is but I know a couple of people who have used that excuse to update their bikes.

'12 K1600GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode