Selling my 2007 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2011, 6:08 am Thread Starter
KJG

Question Selling my 2007 K1200GT

Well, the economic times are taking a toll on my life and it seems as though I might have to part with my baby.

It's paid for, but the money I receive from the sale, could make things substantially easier for me. And... I can always get another one later.

Since this is my first bike in quite some time, my questions are... What's the best way to sell a motorcycle? Do you allow test rides? Payment?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2011, 8:12 am
Veteran

Depends on what you might have used in the past.
I put my previous bike on ebay (K75S). No bids, but then got emails after the auction asking what my bottom dollar is on the bike and sold it that way. Sold my brother in laws Buick Grand National the same exact way, AFTER the auction.
You can try craigslist, I've never used it before, but it could work. Could ask a dealer if they want to buy it or consign it for you.

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2011, 8:56 am
Enthusiast

Some people have had luck with cycletrader.com. Also, try the classifieds in forums like this one, i-bmw.com, bmwsporttouring.com and ibmwr.org. I have sold accessories on these forums and the listing price is generally free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2011, 9:59 am
Addict

Test rides are always a sticky issue, especially on a high-performance bike like the GT. You have to be concerned not only about damage to the bike but potential liability. I think the best idea I've heard is to tell the purchaser that he must complete the sale first, but has 30 minutes to bring the bike back (in unscathed condition of course) for a refund. That way the buyer has a way out if he finds any problems during the test ride and you are protected, since you no longer own the bike if any accident should occur.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2011, 12:24 am
Addict

I used Cycle Trader. I was very honest about the bike and offered a lot of pics. A guy flew up from LA to ride it back. I did offer a test ride but I tagged along on my GT. I would offer a test ride but the best way to confirm his return is to hold his license. This way he will be good riding and he probably will return for his license.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Noob

Sold my last bike on CycleTrader.com. Did not offer test rides and no one asked. Had a few people come by an look. I did get a few scammers from that route, but those are pretty easy to spot. I also placed ads on i-BMW, and a few forums, but all of the real contact came from CycleTrader.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2011, 12:20 pm

I sold my last bike through a dedicated motorcycle consignment sales business. The whole process worked very well. Many dealers will also sell on consignment which I think is a good way to go as they can provide financing for the buyer. Many who might like to purchase your machine don't have the means to just write you a check. I would be very careful about letting anyone take the bike for a test drive even if you know and trust them. Too many things can go wrong. As far as holding a license is concerned, anyone intent on stealing your bike is certainly going to give you bogus identification.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2011, 4:06 pm
Addict

Cash only. Even cashier checks these days are a problem.
I would only allow a ride in a parking lot somewhere.
Be careful of Craigslist scammers. In other words the person needs to show up with case to take the bike and the title.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Noob

Sold my bike on Craigslist. You do need to get to know the potential buyer a little. I said cash only, and my buyer paid me via PayPal before he ever showed up to get the bike. Everyone was happy. Hope this helps.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2011, 11:20 pm
Veteran

I've never given or offered a test ride. That said whenever I've sold a bike privately I've made sure the bike was Absolutely Immaculate, as perfect looking as I could make it. If a prospective buyer sees the care the bike has been shown test rides usually aren't an issue. If the buyer must have a test ride then payment in full in advance is required. You dropped it you own it. If they take the bike out ride it around the block and bring it back exactly as it was then give them the money back no harm no foul.

Payment: Cash, wire transfer, no checks of any type. ANY check can be faked or have payment stopped.

Place to sell the bike: Here! or any BMW site, i-bmw.com, Internet BMW Riders, BMW Sport Touring, ADV Rider.com, list it where BMW buyers will look.

I'll also add that it makes good sales sense to do any services, tires, repairs, remove stickers you think are cool, get the bike as close to perfect, clean,showroom stock as you can before showing the bike. A perfect clean bike leaves less room for bullshit haggling. Extras like tank bags and exhaust, extra lights are best removed if possible, since they only get "thrown in" better to sell the farkles separately.

Last edited by Erik; Jul 5th, 2011 at 11:26 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode