Found key at In-N-Out Atascadero - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2011, 9:51 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Found key at In-N-Out Atascadero

I received this message via another list that I subscribe to:
Quote:
Hope this message reaches this gentlemen. While eating with my family at In-N-Out on Tuesday June 7, at about 12:45. I was watching a gentleman saddle up on his K1200 GT with silver top case when I noticed he droped something. By the time I got out there to see that it was a key it was to late to flag him down. I turned the key in to In-N-Out's lost and found in case he back tracks where he's been. This is a black BMW key with a BMW motorad lanyard on it and not the emergency key either. So as a fellow rider please pass it on in case you know this person or can help!
If you think this is your key, it's at the In-N-Out in Atascadero.

2016 BMW R1200RS
2006 BMW K1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2011, 8:14 pm
Veteran

Wonder how he managed to leave without a key?

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2011, 8:49 pm
Addict

He probably has his top case keyed differently than the rest of the bike, common if it was bought later. But I sure hope that his last act was unlocking it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2011, 9:48 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Wonder how he managed to leave without a key?
Yeah, I wondered the same thing. "smiller" is probably right about the top case being keyed differently.

2016 BMW R1200RS
2006 BMW K1200R
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:00 pm
Veteran

Never thought of that since I don't have a top case, but if I did I sure as heck would rekey it to match the bike, unless this is impossible.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 9:37 am
Veteran

Quote:
Never thought of that since I don't have a top case, but if I did I sure as heck would rekey it to match the bike, unless this is impossible.
My top case was keyed to match the bike. I bought it with the bike, and I paid the dealer extra money to rekey it ($25? $40?). I remember thinking that they shouldn't have charged me for such a simple, stupid thing as a rekeying. I also remember being angry that I had to pay an extra $50 to order a metal spare key. That was in 2007.

Rekeying a lock isn't rocket science. I have done it many times, on many different types of locks. Often it is cheaper to buy the rekeying kit for your lock than to pay a locksmith to do it, especially if you move often, or help out family and friends by rekeying their locks. (If you time it right, you can be rekeying their locks while the others are moving the heavy furniture. At least that's how it works in theory. In practice, after helping move the furniture and everyone else goes home, you get to stay late and rekey the locks.)

----------------

I just bought a helmet lock from Pirates Lair.

http://pirateslair.net/HelmetlockGT.htm

It came in the mail yesterday. A BMW key cylinder was included, and packaged separately with a key inserted. Remembering that I paid a lot for a simple lock rekeying, I called the local locksmith. They said they would "try" for $49, but would have to see the cylinder first to know whether they had the parts for the lock. Next, I called one of the local dealers (not the one where I bought my KGT), and they told me that they would do it as a courtesy, no charge. I brought it to them yesterday afternoon, and it was done in five minutes. Nice people.

----------------

I am probably the only person to lock their key in a motorcycle.

I was having breakfast at yet another dealer in my area. At the time, I had the habit of turning the key to open, pushing it in with the key so the latch flap pops up part way, turning the key back to lock, and then putting the key in my pocket. I took my overpants off and put them in the side case, with the key still in the overpants pocket. The instant I clicked the flap closed, I knew I had locked the key inside. Even the dealer didn't know you could do that. I had to call my wife and ask her to bring the spare key to me. (I have never locked my key in a car, by the way.)

The same thing is possible for the glove box and top cases, too. You can set the key position to "lock" while they are still open. Click them shut, and they are locked at the same time, without needing the key. Consider it a feature, but it is a double-edged sword.

These days, whenever I take long rides, I wear a small badge holder with a zipper pocket. In the badge holder I keep emergency medical and contact instructions, a backup credit card, a small amount of cash, and the BMW "plastic" spare key to the bike.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 12:35 pm
Addict

Quote:
It's fairly easy, there's an online guide to DIY. If you have a working key that is, else it's a major hassle (you have to drill out the lock cylinder and replace it) so I hope he's got an extra at home.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 2:05 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

This has turned into a pretty interesting thread on misadventures with keys. Thus far, there's no indication that the key owner has seen this thread (or visits this BB at all) or has been reunited with his lost key. BTW, the poster of the original "found key" notice says that the thinks the color of the bike is dark gray (Graphite?).

2016 BMW R1200RS
2006 BMW K1200R
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 8:29 pm
Veteran

Well, at least we know for sure the dude is LONG gone, everyone KNOWS dark Graphite is the FAST color!!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 8:32 pm
Veteran

Any chance the key fob has a dealer name on it? Could maybe send the key to them with a description and they can connect the dots maybe?
Also, many many owners on the MOA website, maybe a similar attempt and finding the owner will work there. Maybe some MOA owner in that area will recognize the bike description (and top case. And air-headedness.) OK I shouldn't make fun, I know I've pulled bigger no-brainers than this.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode