Stranded in the Alps (Transmission or Drive shaft?) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 4:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

Angry Stranded in the Alps (Transmission or Drive shaft?)

I am stationed in Germany and my wife and I joined a buddy of mine for a weekend touring the Alps through Switzerland and Italy on my 2007 K1200GT (US Specs). My bike has about 15,000 miles on it. While trying to pass some slower motorist is when I first noticed that the bike would not get up past 55-65 MPH no matter what gear I was in. Also at this time I noticed at 5000 RPMs that the tac would jump to 8000 RPM with no aceleration. After stopping to check fluid levels and look for any obvious signs, we continued on with the problem getting worse to the point that I the bike would go into gear, the clutch would disengage, but go nowhere. Thank god for ADAC (German AAA). 2 weeks later the bike was delivered to the BMW shop in Manheim Germany, and I am still waiting to here what the exact problem is, and was told that it would be probably August until the bike is even looked at due to a backlog in the service department.

Does anybody have any idea what may have gone wrong and is it a common problem?

Thanks

DP
2007 K1200GT
Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 5:11 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1274
I am stationed in Germany and my wife and I joined a buddy of mine for a weekend touring the Alps through Switzerland and Italy on my 2007 K1200GT (US Specs). My bike has about 15,000 miles on it. While trying to pass some slower motorist is when I first noticed that the bike would not get up past 55-65 MPH no matter what gear I was in. Also at this time I noticed at 5000 RPMs that the tac would jump to 8000 RPM with no aceleration. After stopping to check fluid levels and look for any obvious signs, we continued on with the problem getting worse to the point that I the bike would go into gear, the clutch would disengage, but go nowhere. Thank god for ADAC (German AAA). 2 weeks later the bike was delivered to the BMW shop in Manheim Germany, and I am still waiting to here what the exact problem is, and was told that it would be probably August until the bike is even looked at due to a backlog in the service department.

Does anybody have any idea what may have gone wrong and is it a common problem?

Thanks

DP
2007 K1200GT
Silver
Sounds like a clutch but ive never heard of another story like this one on one of these bikes.
Just one question, you didnt by any chance change the oil before your trip? if so what did you put in it?
While it must be very frustrating for you it gives me small comfort to know that even at the other end of the planet BMW service departments are as hopeless at understanding the process of prioritisation as they are here.
The guy who is booked in for his 1000klm service gets the same priority as someone stranded 1000 miles from home.
Good luck, I hope that it turns out to be something simple and low cost.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 6:32 am Thread Starter
Noob

Dadicool59,
Thanks. Still the same oil from the 12,000 miles service. Talking with some fellow riders(non-BMW), the best we can figure it is the clutch, drive shaft, or transmission. Just frustrating that I will losse the better part of a riding season and don't know exactly why yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 7:14 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1274
Dadicool59,
Thanks. Still the same oil from the 12,000 miles service. Talking with some fellow riders(non-BMW), the best we can figure it is the clutch, drive shaft, or transmission. Just frustrating that I will losse the better part of a riding season and don't know exactly why yet.
It is so hard to believe that the backlog on emergency work is almost 2 months from the mothership BMW itself!. This is not good PR for anyone that wants a BMW. So far, BMW North America is a slight bit more responsive. Most of our dealers, which are provately owned, so step up and get things repaired ASAP

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 9:09 am
Veteran

I'll see your Alps stranding and raise you Death Valley!

Sorry to hear it man, but could be worse. And yes the whole wait forever to get your bike fixed thing is just the icing on the cake and a slap in the face Spend boocoo bucks on the machine and get treated like shit. Just more of the same really. BMW's quality and reputation for excellence has long gone away. Buy one of their machines nowadays and it's a crap shoot. August is only 2 months away though. My bike spent 6 out of what was maybe an 8 month riding season last year in the multiple shops so I feel your pain. Hope you get it resolved sooner. Let us know what the outcome is.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Veteran

On the RT side, there have been instances of the driveshaft delaminating and spinning freely. I think the rubberized "torque/shock" bond breaks or something, but it usually results in the drive shaft tube getting beaten up too. Dunno. Maybe clutch?

But egad! Two months to even look at it? That has to be a record for shop slowness. If they are that slow, their parts procurement and repair time is going to be maybe another month? They need to hire some more mechanics. My local has only one BMW mechanic (for a multi-line dealer) and if he's sick it can get dragged out but not 3 months, three weeks maybe.

I'd like to see them try that same service concept thing with their car owners.

Mack
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 9:35 pm

No driveshaft problems yet, but my bike has been in the BMW shop for 5 months 3 weeks waiting for cam chain, valve guides and valves. Seems like BMW K1200GT heads, I wonder why on such an intermitant problem.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 10:55 pm

I hope it is not the clutch, They may tell you it a wear item and not covered under warranty. Cost me over 2K. Love my bike when its working good.Too many problems. Just got my bike back yesterday after a cam chain problem. Of course not covered. Last BMW for me.....

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2011, 9:15 am

Could the extended wait have something to do with it being a US model?

I know dealers here (in the US) don't want to touch anything outside the US market with a ten foot pole...

Smilodon

2008 K1200GT
Deep Blue Metallic
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2011, 5:45 pm
Veteran

You would think they would at least have the decency to diagnose the problem

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode