Coolant replacement questions. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2011, 9:58 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Coolant replacement questions.

On my 07 12GT I just replaced the original special BMW coolant with the newest VW G12 coolant.

Temperature at highway and in town driving reads the same ( just over the second temp line in town when the fan kicks in)

The expansion tank has been reading between ther min and max mark level over a 3 ride period.

In testing 2 bars of pressure were maintianed for the required 5 minute interval.

My question(s)
1. If by chance I left a small residual amount of the original BMW coolant in the system will it be compatable with the VW coolant ( i.e will combining the 2 cause the residual amount to crystalize or jell?). If so how concerned should I be? When the temps really get up there do you think the VW coolant will do an adequate job?
If not compatable then either completely flush the system and replace the fluid yes?

2. How can one be completely sure that all of the air has been purged out of the system and no hot spots will occur? No air bubbles came out during the add/flush and I've run the engine 3 different times and opened the top vents to remove any last trapped air. No bubbles at all showed up in the drain hose or in the expansion tank throughout this process.

Any last thought on how I can get some piece of mind on this? I was thinking of parking on a steep hill over night and then opening the expansion tank. The idea is that overnight any possible air would have worked its way to the highest point and could then be let off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2011, 2:27 pm
Addict

There isn't much 'special' about the OEM coolant and I'm not sure why you would want to replace it with a specialty coolant like G12 since you open yourself up to compatibility issues for no good reason. But that said, I wouldn't let such concerns keep me up at night and you are probably OK. BMW doesn't provide a lot of specificity in terms of coolant requirements in their manual but FWIW I use and recommend a HOAT coolant like Zerex G-05 (an excellent and reasonably-compatible formulation that has become standard equipment in Ford and Daimler-Chrysler vehicles, and is the same formulation as the OEM fill in BMW automobiles.)

In terms of filling the system the only right way to do it is to use the vacuum bleed procedure outlined in the service manual (required because there are points in the system above the radiator and these may not be purged properly otherwise.) Any other method and you're on your own and that's not a place I'd want to be with a touchy slant-K engine.

Last edited by smiller; Jun 21st, 2011 at 2:35 pm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2011, 3:30 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
In terms of filling the system the only right way to do it is to use the vacuum bleed procedure outlined in the service manual (required because there are points in the system above the radiator and these may not be purged properly otherwise.)
Yep, if you didn't follow the procedure in the manual you will have air trapped in the system. Vacuum bleeding is the only way to get all of the air out.

James

06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

02 WR250F Stock

99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2011, 5:14 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
Yep, if you didn't follow the procedure in the manual you will have air trapped in the system. Vacuum bleeding is the only way to get all of the air out.
So is this something that can be done at home if you have a vacuum bleeder or best tackled by a dealer? I've never really seen a good answer addressing coolant maintenance on our bikes.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2011, 5:21 pm
Addict

No problem doing it at home, all you need is the tool. It's about $100, less than the dealer will charge you to do it once.

For details check out: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=16
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:43 am
Enthusiast

Thanks much for the clarification and link. Now I need to know where to buy the tools in question.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Thanks much for the clarification and link. Now I need to know where to buy the tools in question.
http://www.tooltopia.com/uview-550000.aspx or http://www.amazon.com/U-View-Vacuum-.../dp/B001DICJV6
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 2:37 pm
Enthusiast

Thank you again. I can never have too many tools!

Owe you a few adult beverages and a nice Tex-Mex meal at this point...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 6:53 pm
Addict

Note that you will need compressed air to operate the tool. But since you can't have too many tools I'm sure you already have a compressor...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:05 am
Enthusiast

Couldn't help myself and bought the Airlift device yesterday from ToolTopia.com. It was all of $110 plus free shipping. Must admit I'm rather fond of that site.

Yes, I do own a compressor. Nothing fancy but it'll work fine. Appreciate the follow-up as it never hurts to ask.

I must now secure a gallon or two of the Zerex G-05 coolant you alluded to earlier in the thread. Back when I was a kid working on cars ethylene glycol was ethylene glycol. Now there seems to be so many varieties of coolant and water wetters out there. A sure sign I'm getting old!

We've got some decent Tex-Mex places here in the Dallas/Richardson/Garland area if you're ever in town. Offer still stands.

And anyone local that would like to use this device to perform a coolant flush is welcome to borrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode