spark plug change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 4:44 am Thread Starter

spark plug change

Is there anyone that has done a write up on changing out the spark plugs?
Is it a tough job on this bike or just time consuming?
I have kinda heard that you have to drain the coolant and have a special tool for the coil packs, is this true?
Thanks
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:21 am
Veteran

Personally, I wouldn't do it and I'd let the dealer mess with it at some valve-check interval which could be a major pain if you need to change one of those shim/ball things. You'll need a radiator evacuation system too if you do it. If you don't have the $300 GS-911 tool, you might need that to shut off the Service Warning at the valve-check interval anyway.

I paid around $700 for the 'check & plug replacement' (4 BMW plugs were like $100 of that!) at about 17,000 miles. I think Meese on here did his and broke a coil in the process with Grif. I think the BMW plugs are some long-lasting ones anyway that are probably good for 100K miles too. That's the change interval on my car now and Toyota dealer insists they will last to maybe 130,000 miles and to leave them alone. He could easily make money changing them sooner than 100K miles, but either he's honest or just lazy. Platinums maybe?

Mack
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 3:51 pm
Veteran

As long as youse guys are on the subject. I have heard that it's very very seldom that the valves NEED adjustment, would it be totally out of the question to skip the check?

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 4:03 pm
Addict

BMW specs their expensive double-platinum plugs to be replaced at 24k intervals so most do it at valve check time, although neither check really needs to be done that often (other than perhaps the first one, to preserve your warranty.) Changing plugs alone (without a valve check) wouldn't be very efficient time-wise because you still need to tear it down and remove the radiator, etc. FWIW my plugs looked really good when I did my first valve check and they looked like they could have gone a lot longer.

And from what I've read it's pretty rare for a slant-K to actually need an adjustment, there are many bikes above 100k where they haven't been touched. As to skipping the check, I guess that depends on your nerve but the odds seem to be with you at least, for whatever that's worth.

BTW as an aside I tried to find an exact cross-reference for the OEM NGK plug but couldn't so I called NGK and asked where I could buy some (trying to avoid paying marked-up BMW parts prices.) Was told 'sorry, we are under contract to sell that item only to BMW.'
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 9:03 pm
Noob

Another thought....If you have an extended warrenty you might also want to read if they will still provide coverage with out proof of regular recommended services....

[CENTER]ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!![/CENTER]
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2011, 4:47 am Thread Starter

Angry

Thanks everyone.
I will most likely change them out in another 20,000 km.
The dealer changed them out at 30,000km I am approaching 60,00 now. I have had a lot of issues with stalling coming off the throttle and at idle when pulling to a stop.
I was thinking maybe a bad plug.
I have all the upgrades so I do not believe it to be the airbox or programing.
I am also running the boostplug.
I was sent another boost plug to see if possibly there is something wrong with it but he doesn't think so , but said give it a try and sent me out one free, Great service!!!
oh this is 2006 with the first gen computer. the only thing not upgraded
Kevin
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2011, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady
Another thought....If you have an extended warrenty you might also want to read if they will still provide coverage with out proof of regular recommended services....
I have a RPM ONE extended warranty. I jumped cam chain timing. RPM ONE DENIED claim because I did not have receipts for oil and filters. I called the places I bought oil n filters and they sent me copies. RPM ONE is still denying claim because I did not have the oil changed at a commercial facility. Beware of these warranty companies (ESPECIALLY RPM ONE) and make sure you save every receipt. No aftermarket stuff.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2011, 9:01 pm
Rookie

NGK makes an Iridium plug DCPR9EIX that is the equivalent of the OEM BMW plug and only cost about $9.00 each! however it is a major job to change the plugs on these bikes. the coolant vacuum system cost $3,600.00 so unless you are a dealer, not worth investing this kind of money for the system!! I bought the plugs before I knew of the magnitude of the effort involved to change them!!! I use NGK Iridium plugs in my Harley's and Moto-Guzzi's and fully expect to never having to replace them!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstevens
NGK makes an Iridium plug DCPR9EIX that is the equivalent of the OEM BMW plug and only cost about $9.00 each! however it is a major job to change the plugs on these bikes. the coolant vacuum system cost $3,600.00 so unless you are a dealer, not worth investing this kind of money for the system!! I bought the plugs before I knew of the magnitude of the effort involved to change them!!! I use NGK Iridium plugs in my Harley's and Moto-Guzzi's and fully expect to never having to replace them!
I don't know much about sparkplugs, but I bought the necessary vacuum fill equipment for far less than $3,600.

You can get a Mityvac MV4535 for just over $100 from Tooltopia. It is also available from other sources. To use it, you will also need an air compressor with a fairly high SCFM rating. I bought an inexpensive 2 HP, 8 Gallon, 125 PSI compressor from Harbor Freight. It was on sale for $79. The Mityvac MV4535 and the compressor have worked well together to do three drain/refills so far. I am due for another valve check soon.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2011, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstevens
NGK makes an Iridium plug DCPR9EIX that is the equivalent of the OEM BMW plug and only cost about $9.00 each! .....!
Good to hear about an alternative spark plug for the k12gt. I've been looking all over to find this. Can anyone second the good performance of this plug for our bike? Won't the bike tourn into a weird guyzmo if we fit ngk pluf into it?? lol

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode