Pannier Bags - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 2:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Pannier Bags

My wife and I are leaving for a 18 day two up ride on our 2007 GT and as much as I love her she is not a light packer. She will fill up one pannier and 60% of our 49l top case.

We are heading to variable climates and expect rain and temps of 40-105, so I need to pack rain gear and all our rain and insulated jacket liners. Does anyone have a recommendation for storage on top of the side cases where we could stash our liners and rain gear when not in use that would not affect the passenger too much?

Thanks,
Mark in Chico
07 KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 5:54 pm
Addict

Has she done this before? If not I'd suggest she really won;t need all that she has packed and should lessen the amount in the top case to store the rain gear.

Just a suggestion.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:58 pm
KJG

I don't have any suggestions for storage, but I am highly envious of the 18 day trip. My dream is to take a few weeks and see the country on my GT.

Have a safe trip.

Ken

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 2:15 am
Noob

I fitted HD chrome rack to the 49ltr top case and secure an A Bagz (check out www.andystrapz.com ). Fill one pannier bag each and share a bag for cold weather gear plus laptop, camera bag etc in the top case. Use the Andy Strapz bag for water, snacks, jacket liners and wet weather gear.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 8:15 am

Packing

I understand your dilemma. I has always been a challenge to get the necessities and then find room for the niceties. Putting loose gear on top of the bags is an irritation for the passenger's thighs and will eventually do damage to the paint brought on by the constant wind buffeting, not to mention bag access is a pain, but it can be done with Rok Straps or small bungees.
Ken's idea re the HD chrome rack atop the 49L top case is excellent. I have used this on a previous model and it helps with some bulk. It is good for liners or other soft items. You did not mention a tank bag. If you do not have one, you would be amazed at how many odd and ends can be stored there. Basically, it's like camping; what would you rather do without for the next few days.
Have a great trip. Ride safe.
EJ
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 9:00 am
Veteran

You could always just get the wife her own bike.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 10:08 am
Addict

With the suggestion of adding a rack be careful of your Center of Gravity. The GT is already top heavy and two up with a full load (side and top cases full) that is a lot of weight high up not only for riding but also when parked (side stand).

Be carefull
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 10:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks everyone for you input, my better half and I have traveled extensively on the GT all over the western states and Canada have over 100K two up together on various bikes. BMW tankbag is well worn and stuffed with God knows what.

"Has she done this before? If not I'd suggest she really won;t need all that she has packed and should lessen the amount in the top case to store the rain gear".

You tell her!

"I don't have any suggestions for storage, but I am highly envious of the 18 day trip. My dream is to take a few weeks and see the country on my GT".

Have a safe trip.

Ken

Thanks for the good wishes, high point of my year.

"You could always just get the wife her own bike".

I will set up a Pay Pal account for donations

"With the suggestion of adding a rack be careful of your Center of Gravity. The GT is already top heavy and two up with a full load (side and top cases full) that is a lot of weight high up not only for riding but also when parked (side stand)".

Be carefull

I have seen previous threads on the rack installation and came to same conclusion that the CoG would be adversely affected. I think I will try small compression bags from Aerostich and strap them to the grab handles. We did a dry run in the garage and it might work. if not $50.00 down the drain.

Mark in Chico
07 KGT
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:47 pm

My wife and I have toured quite a bit together (both coasts of the US and abroad). In fact, the switch to the GT has been a bit of an upgrade in luggage space for us.

We've learned over time to pack less. We also spend time between trips (which are much longer than we'd like) figuring out ways (and buying gizmos) to reduce what we carry. It is often a nice mental health bonus to spend time thinking about something motorcycle trip related!

Trying to reduce the amount of stuff ends up being much more beneficial than making space for it. Bike weighs less, packing and unpacking during the trip is much easier and less stressful. And if you get a souvenir along the way, you have a little extra room for it.

I know that is easier said than done, and we still wrangle a bit when laying out stuff to pack, but in the end it has always been worth it. Have you considered going with lighter raingear (like Frogs Togs) or wearing something on the bike all the time that is water resistant for brief showers? Or wearing a jacket that can be "partial" raingear (then you only have to carry the pants?

Just some thoughts. Putting more weight high up is always a last choice for me.

Smilodon

2008 K1200GT
Deep Blue Metallic
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2011, 4:13 pm
Enthusiast

I finally got tired of arguing with my wife about leaving the hairdryer at home and bought a Uni-go 1-wheeled trailer. It just about doubles the storage space on my Wing and only weighs 60lbs. empty. It leans with the bike and you not know it is back there. I believe that some K-bike people tow Uni-go's also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uni-Goinroom.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	13263  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode