Finally had a brake warning alert - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:29 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Finally had a brake warning alert

The brake warning light came on and with over 46000 miles I figured the brake pads had finally worn down enough to wear through the sensor wire. Checked the front and rear brake pads and they had plenty of wear left. I did a continuity check on the sensor wires and rear pad passed but the front pad failed. I removed the cable ties and felt for a break down the length of the front sensor cable and found a weak spot where the cable had been flexing. Opened it up and found one of the wires broken and the other wire close to breaking. Repaired the wires with a little solder and tape and put everything back being mindful of the cable routing. I went for a ride this morning and at about 7 or 8 miles into the ride the computer reset and the light went out.
I know this is nothing new but with a lot of us long out of warranty this is an easy fix that retains the brake warning feature instead of shorting the wires together and doing without.

Bruce Hodges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
The brake warning light came on and with over 46000 miles I figured the brake pads had finally worn down enough to wear through the sensor wire. Checked the front and rear brake pads and they had plenty of wear left. I did a continuity check on the sensor wires and rear pad passed but the front pad failed. I removed the cable ties and felt for a break down the length of the front sensor cable and found a weak spot where the cable had been flexing. Opened it up and found one of the wires broken and the other wire close to breaking. Repaired the wires with a little solder and tape and put everything back being mindful of the cable routing. I went for a ride this morning and at about 7 or 8 miles into the ride the computer reset and the light went out.
I know this is nothing new but with a lot of us long out of warranty this is an easy fix that retains the brake warning feature instead of shorting the wires together and doing without.

Bruce Hodges
Bruce,

Thank you for sharing with the group. It is a good repair, and useful for everyone to know.

Just to be clear, the warning light is a nice-to-have failsafe, but you cannot depend on it. You MUST check your brake pads by visual inspection too. The problem is that the pad on the opposite side of the disk may wear out first, and it is not attached to the brake wear warning circuit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode