Storing Spare Windscreens - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2011, 9:33 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Storing Spare Windscreens

Windscreens for the KGTs can be bulky, and at the same time they are easily scratched. Does anyone have a clever way to store their extra windscreens so that they out of the way and protected from scratches or other damage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2011, 8:02 pm
Noob

Storing spare windshields

I've got a couple of windshields stored in the boxes that their replacements came in, wrapped in foam and bubblewrap. The one shield I didn't have a box for got hung on a nail in an out of the way spot in the garage.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2011, 10:51 am
Addict

I recently moved, so I had some of those furniture blankets made up of recycled bluejeans (and dusty bunnies and crushed bugs for all I know). I put my WS in the plastic bag that the new shield came in, wrapped it all in one of the blankets and stuffed it into the cardboard box from the shipment. Tapped it up and threw it into the pile at my storage room, never to be seen again. Clever enough?

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2011, 1:32 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
I recently moved, so I had some of those furniture blankets made up of recycled bluejeans (and dusty bunnies and crushed bugs for all I know). I put my WS in the plastic bag that the new shield came in, wrapped it all in one of the blankets and stuffed it into the cardboard box from the shipment. Tapped it up and threw it into the pile at my storage room, never to be seen again. Clever enough?
Well yeah, but:

* I don't have boxes for two of my screens. The new Aeroflow screen was installed by Paige at his shop. The original BMW tall windscreen was installed by the dealership before I took possession of the motorcycle.

* I would like a solution that allows me to store them safely, free of potential scratches, but where I can swap them in and out as the seasons (or my whims) change.

The idea of putting up long nails and hanging the windscreens by the screw holes is a good one. Obviously the screw holes will line up for multiple screens. I could sandwich old blankets between the screens. The only problem is that I don't have a lot of wall surface. Nearly all of the garage wall space is cabinets, shelves, workbenches, etc.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Sort of a poor man's solution but why not buy some big white 100% cotton t-shirts, sew the sleeves shut and use them as a big sock to cover the shields? If you have any box close enough to the right size you could then stack them on top of one another without the fear of them scratching one another?

Just make sure the shields are cleaned and waxed before you put them away...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2011, 8:08 pm
Noob

This is what I use

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I can actually store 2 windshields in a bag - I separate them with a piece of carpet underpad. Works great.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2011, 3:10 pm
IBR# 366

Is that even big enough for a GT screen? Have you seen how tiny some of those HD screens are?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 7:29 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Is that even big enough for a GT screen? Have you seen how tiny some of those HD screens are?
Yup, big screens aren't cool

With that said, it fits my Harley touring screen which is bigger than the stock GT screen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode