30 amps for the stebel? Doh!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2011, 8:43 pm Thread Starter
DrD

30 amps for the stebel? Doh!!!

After ending up nearly T-boning a lost-in-the-ozone driver, I realized I needed the stebel nautilus horn. OK, bought it along with the wiring kit. Opened all of it up today and found out the relay has a 30 amp fuze in it. Holy Batman!! 30 amps?? Are you kidding me?

My accessory block only has a 15 amp fuze. I was going to wire the horn relay to the block, but I am pondering this now. I guess my block is too tiny.

Has wiring this bad boy of a horn to the battery caused any Canbus issues? I know the fuze is for a healthy margin beyond what the horn will pull, but that is a heck of a lot of current to draw.

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2011, 9:07 pm
Veteran

Go direct to the battery. Never had an issue with mine. Works great. Just wish I had 2 some times!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 2:59 pm
Rookie

Steibel Wiring to Battery

I just completed a dual Steibel installation (one on right and other on left) and wired them both to the battery. Relays and 20 amp fuses for each. I cut the wires to the existing horn and connected them to a Radio Shack wiring block...separating the positive and ground into two isolated sections of the block. Then connected positive and negative trigger wires from this block to the relay for each horn. Now when I hit the horn button both horns go off at the same time and no electrical problems on the bike.

I used "Grif's" bracket and relay approach on the right (found on this site) and the usual bracket and relay mounting of the horn on the left (also found on this site).

I had previously wired dual Steibels on my RT so I know it could be done with wiring blocks as described above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Dual Stebels!? Holy crap!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 7:02 pm
Addict-oholic

QUOTE=chuckwilmot]Dual Stebels!? Holy crap![/QUOTE]
Well you have to be heard in the Big Apple, so I guess 2 horns is the way to go!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Veteran

I rode in the NYC metro area for years. Never thought ANY amount of volume was enough. (Insane traffic. But you can find that lots of places.) Plenty of times I wished I had a rocket launcher though.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2011, 7:32 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
I just completed a dual Steibel installation (one on right and other on left) and wired them both to the battery. Relays and 20 amp fuses for each. I cut the wires to the existing horn and connected them to a Radio Shack wiring block...separating the positive and ground into two isolated sections of the block. Then connected positive and negative trigger wires from this block to the relay for each horn. Now when I hit the horn button both horns go off at the same time and no electrical problems on the bike.

I used "Grif's" bracket and relay approach on the right (found on this site) and the usual bracket and relay mounting of the horn on the left (also found on this site).

I had previously wired dual Steibels on my RT so I know it could be done with wiring blocks as described above.
Can you feel the bike slow down from the sound pressure wave that results from triggering the horns?

Shattered any windshields yet?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2011, 8:21 am
Veteran

My thoughts exactly!!! Never heard of anyone doing that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Dual Stebels!? Holy crap!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Rookie

Dual horns

As noted, every rifding environment is different and one must make adjustments as necessary. 25+ years of riding here has taught me key syrvival lessons about auditory and visual conspicuity. The background db level here is very high. Traffic moves very quickly, aggressively and the moving traffic margins are very close (measured in inches).

The steibels mount on this bike facing out to the side...not forward. With two horns mounted, each side of the bike gets an equal amount of sound volume so I'm covered evenly around the entire bike.

The best set-up I have had on a previous bike was an air horn with two small trumpets facing forward on the bike. The forward facing of these etrumpets put the sound out in front of the bike and at a pitch that had its own unique "signature" vs. the background noise. It was very effective in allerting traffic to my presence.

This is a hight horn usage town and horns are a means of communication here. There are three levels of horn usage. Most popular is the "short-toot" which lets other drivers know you are nearby and to stay alert. Second most popular is the longer "horn-blast" which is a "hurry up" or "move-it" signal to get slow or stopped traffic to get moving again and stop delaying our progress.

The third and least used type of horn is the "flip-off" version. Because of the constant traffic and continuing lower level horn usage things generally do not escalate to this third level often...at least in Manhattan proper. Everyone knows traffic sucks here so most people are used to the discomfort the traffic brings and handle themselves fairly decently using horns as described above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode