New horn and peg lowering kit - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2011, 7:46 pm Thread Starter
DrD

New horn and peg lowering kit

Yesterday I installed a Stebel Nautilus horn and the Verholen peg lowering kit on my '08 K1200GT. Both took longer than I thought (naturally), but both work great. Thanks to the help one can find here.

Grif: 30 amp fuse straight to the battery! Scary!

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Noob

Thanks for the post.

I'll be installing the same lowering pegs on my 07 K12GT soon. Can you share your installation experience/procedure/tricks/things you'd do differently?

Thanks much!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 8:08 pm Thread Starter
DrD

The kit instructions (mostly in German) do not mention the spring. In fact, there is not a hole for the end of the spring. If you are careful (and sweat and swear a lot), then you can get the spring in there when you insert the peg into the offset block. Other than that, I am still trying to figure out how to lower the brake lever; it feels about 1/2" high now.

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD
The kit instructions (mostly in German) do not mention the spring. In fact, there is not a hole for the end of the spring. If you are careful (and sweat and swear a lot), then you can get the spring in there when you insert the peg into the offset block. Other than that, I am still trying to figure out how to lower the brake lever; it feels about 1/2" high now.
The block seems designed so that the right angle of the spring matches the right angle of the block. Just "snag" the end of the spring around the corner of the block, then push the BMW peg holder into place so that the pin holes line up.

The hard part for me is getting the pins inserted through the lined-up holes. After a lot of frustration, a friend suggested that I put a little grease on the pins before trying to insert them. It worked like a charm! (Thanks - you know who you are!)

Another problem I have with the the Verholen extenders is the tight tolerances. The head of their pin wants to rub on the hex bolt that lets you adjust the angle of the extended peg. I finally solved it by flattening one edge of the pin head with a grinder. Looking down from the top, the head looks like a "D" rather than an "O". By lining up the flat side of the "D" with the hex bolt, the pin goes in easily.

There is no way to adjust the brake pedal height on the K1200GT or K1300GT, sorry. Only the gear shift lever is adjustable.

One of these days, I might try a brake lever extender. It won't lower the brake pedal height (I suppose it raises it slightly), but the brake lever sticks out farther with it installed. See:

http://www.pirateslair.net/brakeX800.jpg
http://pirateslair.net/PegGTlow.htm
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2011, 6:03 am
Addict

I just took the wunderlich lowering kits off of my 2010 RT.
They were very comfortable but I just got sick of grinding the peg studs in corners when being playful.
Ive done 5000ks on this bike and the studs are 2/3rds gone.
The kits not only lower the pegs but move them outboard as well which reduces lean angle even more.
The wunderlich kits also had the same fiddly issue with the return spring.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode