God I hate the "long" oil filter - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 8:04 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

God I hate the "long" oil filter

I had the "long" filter originally, but the dealer sold me the shorty one when I did my first oil change. To remove the old one I almost had to take the whole shifter off because it was so tight.
Today I did my next oil change (5W40 BMW synthetic, so first time I've had synthetic in it). Got the oil filter off just fine, had to just pry a little on one of the ridges on the perimeter of the filter, worked slick.
Went to put the new one on and "WTH", the old one FELL out of the bike, this one I couldn't get in place to save my a$$. Looked at the old one, looked at the new one, DOH, they sold me a long filter, geeez I hate this. At least I just had to remove ONE (the front screw for the shifter bracket), loosened the rear two and got it in place. BEEEware, if you buy a oil filter, make SURE they sell you the shorty.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 8:23 pm
Veteran

I like the big one.

More room to catch stuff like gear teeth, clutch bits, cam chain parts, broken bolts, valve retainers, cam lobes, guides, seal bits, piston pin clips, and sundry springs. That big kind of stuff that won't fit in the pleats of the shorty one. More is better.

Mack
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 9:08 pm
Veteran

You guys actually change your filters?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Addict

yeah I thought these bikes had the BMW engineered forever oil......or until your engine breaks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:59 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
You guys actually change your filters?
Look who's talkin' smack!

Yer just jealous 'cause you don't git to change filters. You just change engines between tow truck runs.

Mack
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2011, 12:26 am

FYI.....

K 1200 GT Oil Filters

Large
11 42 7 721 779

Small
11 42 7 673 541-01

kbikeinbc.....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Noob

Just picked up a new filter about an hour ago from the dealer for my '07KGT. I knew there were two different filters used for my bike and further read some postings on this site that taught me the filter ending with numbers 541 is the short and 779 is the tall. I specified the short and the dealer said that BMW suggests the tall for the 1200's and 1300's even though the short works fine....I think I may switch to K&N filters after this change anyway but in the meantime the short is easier to install and given what a mess it is to change oil on these bikes any part of it being easier is helpful.

JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I had the "long" filter originally, but the dealer sold me the shorty one when I did my first oil change. To remove the old one I almost had to take the whole shifter off because it was so tight.
Today I did my next oil change (5W40 BMW synthetic, so first time I've had synthetic in it). Got the oil filter off just fine, had to just pry a little on one of the ridges on the perimeter of the filter, worked slick.
Went to put the new one on and "WTH", the old one FELL out of the bike, this one I couldn't get in place to save my a$$. Looked at the old one, looked at the new one, DOH, they sold me a long filter, geeez I hate this. At least I just had to remove ONE (the front screw for the shifter bracket), loosened the rear two and got it in place. BEEEware, if you buy a oil filter, make SURE they sell you the shorty.

Christ's call is not an invitation to be on the right side; it is an invitation to become the right person. (John Ortberg)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2011, 12:53 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Look who's talkin' smack!

Yer just jealous 'cause you don't git to change filters. You just change engines between tow truck runs.

Mack
Actually the last change I had to literally tear the filter apart with a hammer and numerous asst screw drivers / chisels. Wrenches, socket ...didn't matter. The damn thing was stuck big time. Whom ever the last yahoo was that put that filter on ought to be drawn and quartered. (thing is though I think it was me! )

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode