The dreaded yellow triangle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 3:23 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

The dreaded yellow triangle

I got the yellow triangle this morning on the way to work. No symptoms. Just the alert in the display. Over the past three days, I have set the display to show the TPM, and I noticed that the rear tire was taking longer and longer to come up. Now it won't come up at all. Just dash lines for the rear. So I'm thinking the OBC got fed up and threw the error code.

During a phone call this morning, the dealership says the sensor is a $150 part ! ! ! That's not counting the labor to remove the rear wheel and get to it. Holy crap! I have an extended warranty, but my guess is that sensor won't be covered... we'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Veteran

Boy that triangle is irritating. Should be a way to clear it, at least for the duration of a trip/until the ignition is cycled. Hate it when I am low on fuel, and even more so when the sender is junk (again) and you constantly have that triangle on until you can get the durned thing fixed.
I wonder Chuck how much longer til you need a tire, would be good to be able to take the tire off for a good reason, labor should be no big deal then.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 9:05 pm
Addict

One wonders why an almost identical type of TPM wheel sensor for a car costs about $40-$50 at Autozone but for some reason BMW needs $150 for it. On second thought, it's not much of a wonder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 9:55 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Well, new news... I went by the dealership on my way home, and the chief wrench, a really good guy and very knowledgeable, thinks the brain needs to be reflashed rather than replacing a sensor. We shall see. At any rate, he says my extended warranty should cover it. I'm there tomorrow afternoon.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2011, 1:52 pm
Enthusiast

My rear sensor for some time now has taken a while before the pressure registers on the dash. Something the dealership (and Ken Meese) tells me is normal. Still makes me wonder when I'll be replacing mine.

Even my trusty GS911 won't help with this repair as the new sensor must be programmed to the specific bike using the God-like BMW computer. Hopefully Stephen at Hexcode will soon introduce that nifty feature in to the even more nifty GS911.

I just may be proactive about the dang sensor and order one online from the least expensive dealer (Max, A&S, etc...). Then when it finally goes belly-up, replace it myself and only have the stealership charge me to program it to my GT. Should save a few pesos, no?

Good thoughts your way Chuck. Let us know the outcome.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2011, 5:16 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Hopefully Stephen at Hexcode will soon introduce that nifty feature in to the even more nifty GS911.
He has strongly hinted that that feature is nearer away than farther away (great news) but no timeframe has been announced. Everyone keep asking for a TPM programming capability on the GS911 forum so we can get it prioritized!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Veteran

Can one even change the battery in the wheel's TPM if it has one? If it does and it's sealed, seems you are at their mercy.

The GS-911 might be able to alter the calibration or maybe shut the thing off from the display warnings, but if each wheel sensor has a battery, that won't be good for it.

Mack
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Can one even change the battery in the wheel's TPM if it has one? If it does and it's sealed, seems you are at their mercy.

The GS-911 might be able to alter the calibration or maybe shut the thing off from the display warnings, but if each wheel sensor has a battery, that won't be good for it.
The wheel sensor is intended to be replaced as a unit when the battery eventually dies (the battery is potted in place.) Each TPM sensor has an electronic serial number (so the TPM computer knows to display the pressure in your wheels and not your riding buddy next to you ) so when a sensor is replaced the TPM computer needs to be told the new s/n of the replacement unit. AFAIK that is all the GS-911 will do, meaning that if a user wants to replace his own TPM sensor when it dies he can just buy and replace the sensor on his own and use the GS-911 to set the new s/n, rather than having to take the bike to the dealer (who may be 150 miles away, as in my case) to do it. So a very valuable feature for people who self-maintain.

Back to replacing the sensor, it may well be possible to chip out the potting and replace the battery without destroying the unit, or it may not. I will probably play with giving it a try when the time comes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2011, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Well, the rear tire sensor got replaced. Those little gizmos are indeed expensive... $145 and change. While I was there, I was complaining about the engine bogging down at low RPM again, and they reflashed the software. Also, the battery was getting questionable (OEM battery from 2007), so that got replaced with a new Odyssey. I paid for the battery, and the extended warranty paid for the rest.

When I went outside to the bike, I saw that they had cleaned it up as well. So... nice job overall by Irv Seavers, and I'm a very happy customer! I truly enjoy going in there every time.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
He has strongly hinted that that feature is nearer away than farther away (great news) but no timeframe has been announced. Everyone keep asking for a TPM programming capability on the GS911 forum so we can get it prioritized!!
Now that I think of it, I did read the TPM programming was next on the agenda (or close). I'm amazed at what Hexcode rolls out with each successive GS-911 software release. It's an amazing tool.

And while on that same topic, I visited a friend this morning who owns a new K1600GT. Needless to say it's quite a bike with updates galore. Makes my 2008 K12GT look so antiquated in comparison. Almost want to lobby Stephan to deploy his talents on making the GS-911 compatible with the new K1600GT. One thing's for sure, I may want the new GT now but won't take delivery until Hexcode adds that bike to their stable.

Chuck - good news indeed about your bike. Glad it was resolved to your satisfaction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode