New (to me) K13GT - new guy saying "hey" and some questions about bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 12:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New (to me) K13GT - new guy saying "hey" and some questions about bike

Hey all, I learned to ride in 2008 and picked up a new F800ST back then, and finally felt ready to upgrade to a K13GT. Found a perfect one up in Frederick MD and flew up to buy and ride it home yesterday. I love it! It's got just over 11k miles and all the factory options, even has LoJack and 49L rear topcase installed.

On the way home, in my limited 300 mile experience on the bike so far, I noticed that the engine was very smooth, except when you close the throttle very slightly, like say to slow down by a MPH or two. Doing so introduced a noticeable vibration. Is this common?

Also, I found the saddle VERY soft so I'll be looking for a replacement, but noticed the rear section of the driver's saddle was more firm than the front section by the tank - weird!

I'll probably be a regular here - nice to find a K specific board!

Brian
2010 K13GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 1:35 pm
Noob

Mine vibrates when decelerating as well. I've always assumed it was just part of having a shift drive, as none of my belt or chain driven bikes do it.

- Matt
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 1:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Mine vibrates when decelerating as well. I've always assumed it was just part of having a shift drive, as none of my belt or chain driven bikes do it.
Was thinking the same. My F800 has a belt drive and it's smooth upon decel, although it vibrates a lot more at all other times where the K is smooth at all times EXCEPT decel.

Brian
2010 K1300GT <- for sale
2003 540 touring Sport - supercharged, 6-speed, headers, exhaust, 500hp
2001 M5 - mostly stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 1:41 pm
Addict

I bought my 2006 with 18k miles...now has 44k. I don't notice a vibration at lower speeds but the acclaimed jerkiness when trying to keep a low speed.

Make sure you read up and update all the maintenance needed on these well engineered machines.

Basically:

cam chain guard
cam chain tensioner
change rear gear oil
shift lever roller bearings (optional)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 1:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
I bought my 2006 with 18k miles...now has 44k. I don't notice a vibration at lower speeds but the acclaimed jerkiness when trying to keep a low speed.

Make sure you read up and update all the maintenance needed on these well engineered machines.

Basically:

cam chain guard
cam chain tensioner
change rear gear oil
shift lever roller bearings (optional)
You're talking K12, but mine's K13, slightly different but don't know precisely how much.

The original owner just had 12k service done (prior to even hitting 11k miles!?) so I assume BMW did everything properly and it has all been checked, but I may have my local dealer inspect it just to be sure, since it's got warranty remaining until Sept 2013.

Another thing I noticed was somewhat sluggish throttle response. Like there is a delay between twist and "go" - I wonder if this is also normal.

Brian
2010 K1300GT <- for sale
2003 540 touring Sport - supercharged, 6-speed, headers, exhaust, 500hp
2001 M5 - mostly stock
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 5:37 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift
You're talking K12, but mine's K13, slightly different but don't know precisely how much.

The original owner just had 12k service done (prior to even hitting 11k miles!?) so I assume BMW did everything properly (Don't assume that...read up on the problems...even with the 1300)and it has all been checked, but I may have my local dealer inspect it just to be sure, since it's got warranty remaining until Sept 2013.

Another thing I noticed was somewhat sluggish throttle response.(same of what I refer to as trying to keep a low speed. Either its on or off at a certain point) Like there is a delay between twist and "go" - I wonder if this is also normal.
I'd advise to check into the items noted.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 7:03 pm
Addict

Quote:
On the way home, in my limited 300 mile experience on the bike so far, I noticed that the engine was very smooth, except when you close the throttle very slightly, like say to slow down by a MPH or two. Doing so introduced a noticeable vibration. Is this common?
My bike (a 2007 K1200GT) does exactly the same thing. I think it has to do with fuel being shut off during deceleration (as is common on most modern FI systems.)

Quote:
Another thing I noticed was somewhat sluggish throttle response. Like there is a delay between twist and "go" - I wonder if this is also normal.
There were frequent complaints of touchy throttle on the earlier bikes so BMW dulled the throttle response a bit. Then people complained that the bike wasn't as responsive. Sometimes you can't win...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 9:57 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
the K is smooth at all times EXCEPT decel.
That's BMW's way of telling you not to slow down, but to go faster . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 9:58 pm
IBR# 366

cam chain guard - good idea
cam chain tensioner - already done on K13GT
change rear gear oil - good idea
shift lever roller bearings - already done on K13GT

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2012, 10:08 pm
Addict

mine runs like a raped ape ,fast or slow ,only time it's slow is when i'm pulling in the garage...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode