07 K1200gt moto/fog lights? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2012, 5:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

07 K1200gt moto/fog lights?

I have a 07 K1200GT, and i am looking for some options of fog/moto lights. Anyone have ideas or things they have tried? Also want to know what to stay away from. I want to do this once and do it right. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2012, 7:34 pm
Veteran

There are several guys on here that I am sure will give you some good ideas.
Do you have or have you upgraded to a xenon low beam yet? i did that and helps some, also went to 65w high beam bulbs, some will change then to xenon too.

The add-on lights I have seen that I would try (if I were going to add lighting) are the kind that attach to the mirror mounting points, I will see if I can find a link for you.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2012, 6:28 am
Enthusiast

http://www.bmwofdenver.com/eshopprod...200GTK1300.htm

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
'05 R1200GS
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2012, 3:05 pm
Veteran

No no, those aren't it! LOL, yeah that's what i meant.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2012, 6:32 pm

I have moto lights installed by the previous owner, he was a big believer in them.
Their primary role in life is conspicuity, do not expect them to throw a lot of light down the road, but they definitely make people take notice of the bike.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2012, 6:35 pm
Veteran

three west, I saw the one pic in your profile, where in the UP are you? Sorry to go off-topic.
Gilly

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2012, 8:24 pm
Addict-oholic

Motolights are the way to go. Conspicuity is the main purpose. as fro more light, xenon, hid, a set of hella lights are the main ones.
I like the motolights, as most of my riding is during the daylight hours and i want to be seen!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2012, 3:48 pm
Noob

Aux lights added

I never understood why they made these bikes without a good method of adding lights. I've added 2 pairs of additional lights. One is strictly to be seen and are amber, the other are LED's for added visibility in daylight, and to significantly add additional lumens at night. The first addition were the amber (shows clear in photo below) small LED array "Photon Blaster" from Skene Design http://www.skenedesign.com/ . These provide the same function as the Motolights at lower amp draw, as well as have a slight flicker which draws attention. I then added a pair of LED floods in the space below the oil cooler opening from : Adv Rider equipment vendor forum. I used the model 44, 2000 lumens each. I added the IQ 170 controller from Skene design (above). The controller allows you to 1) turn on the lights at their high setting with your high beam switch (Jerry spent several months getting it to work with the Canbus system so we should take advantage of his work!) and can be set to lower settings in 10% increments when the high beam switch is off. If you add another switch in the circuit they can be set at 2 levels without the high beams. This is what I did, so they are set at 40% during daylight, switch on 60%, and with high beam, 100%. These lights with make the "high beam" seam superfluous, as well as giving much better fill light on roadsides. Note: they are not DOT approved for inroad use, but I would rather be safe, as I live in a rural area with lots of critters that come out at night.

Shows both lights, running lights on fork, floods below oil cooler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	13684   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo copy.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	13685  

Last edited by gloeb; Jun 18th, 2012 at 4:01 pm.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
three west, I saw the one pic in your profile, where in the UP are you? Sorry to go off-topic.
Gilly
Heya Gilly, I'm near Escanaba

and to stay near topic, I meant to mention that if my bike didn't already have moto lights on when I got it, after some research I probably would go with the Skene Photon Blasters.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Noob

so few to choose from

I have been wanting to pick up a set of riding lights for a long time, but never liked the looks of any of the ones on the market that I could find. I saw a pair mounted under the fairing below the air intake in person but it was too tight for big lights. Denali lights look nice and are kinda bright but to low for what I wanted. I went to Clearwater lights here in Sacramento today & talked to them. They showed me custom brackets they made to mount under the mirror on the fairing to hold the lights. They looked GReat. I'm now saving for a set. I will upload a video and pictures of my when installed. Super nice people & nice looking LED lights.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Krista_Nullarbor_Plain.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	13686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wade_S_2007_BMW_K1200GT.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	13687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Krista_front_Black.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	13688  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode