Brake Pad Sensor Open Circuit - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2012, 5:46 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Brake Pad Sensor Open Circuit (Updated)

I have the brake pad wear indication on my dash. The pads are fine. I've seen mention of a zip-tie being a possible culprit. I've disconnected the easily accessable connector closest to the caliper and put a meter to the wires and get continuity so I'm pretty certain that the open circuit is somewhere else.

The question that I have is, has there been any relatively consistent location that this strangling zip-tie has been found to be? If it's pretty deep, I guess that I'm just going to have to tolerate it for the remainder of the riding season an try to sort it another time. Thanks Gents.

EDIT: I found a thread with some helpful info that pointed me to the front pad sensor. When I put the meter on it after disconnecting at the closest junction, it tests as an open circuit. Investigating further. I removed the pads and stripped the rubber/cloth covering from the wires and found the first attachment (sorry, the camera focused on the meter leads and not the wires, but you get the idea). This was located at the first zip-tie away from the brake pad moving toward the connector.

The second picture is my solution. I flipped the ignition on to see if the pad sensor indicator was still on, and it was. I don't know as yet if it will go away when I start it up or if I will need to find someone local with a GS911 (or wait until I get one myself) to clear it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-16 18.43.16.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	13673   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-16 18.58.42.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	789.7 KB
ID:	13674  

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison

Last edited by Wynnded; Jun 16th, 2012 at 8:26 pm. Reason: Found Information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2012, 10:30 pm
IBR# 366

Yep, that solution ought to do it. The only thing different that I did was to make a much smaller wire loop.

Some bikes will reset the brake pad wear sensor light after you ride the bike above 30 mph and brake a few times. Some will need the Dealer or GS-911 to reset the light. All depends on which software version you have . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2012, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

If anyone notices it, I'll tell them that it's my prototype red-to-green traffic light changer as once I've left the driveway on the bike, I really hate having to put my feet down til the riding is done.

You wouldn't happen to know if it's the older or new software would you? I can say the my bike has the old ECU (and most likely no updates)...but I guess that I know tomorrow hmmm....

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2012, 1:26 am
IBR# 366

The older bikes wouldn't reset, some newer ones did.

Might be time for a GS-911.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2012, 10:09 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Ahh...Murphy's Law. Thank you.

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2012, 6:34 pm

my bike is a 2007 and has a few software upgrades, and mine will reset on its own. I know because last summer the brake pad light was intermittent.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2012, 6:49 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks. I really have no idea if mine has had any flashes. It does have the BMS-K ECU in it, so I know that it's not sporting the most recent. I did go for a short ride this morning and it has not reset. I'm not surprised. At this very moment I'm ordering the GS-911 though.

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2012, 6:55 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnded
I have the brake pad wear indication on my dash. The pads are fine. I've seen mention of a zip-tie being a possible culprit. I've disconnected the easily accessable connector closest to the caliper and put a meter to the wires and get continuity so I'm pretty certain that the open circuit is somewhere else.

The question that I have is, has there been any relatively consistent location that this strangling zip-tie has been found to be? If it's pretty deep, I guess that I'm just going to have to tolerate it for the remainder of the riding season an try to sort it another time. Thanks Gents.

EDIT: I found a thread with some helpful info that pointed me to the front pad sensor. When I put the meter on it after disconnecting at the closest junction, it tests as an open circuit. Investigating further. I removed the pads and stripped the rubber/cloth covering from the wires and found the first attachment (sorry, the camera focused on the meter leads and not the wires, but you get the idea). This was located at the first zip-tie away from the brake pad moving toward the connector.

The second picture is my solution. I flipped the ignition on to see if the pad sensor indicator was still on, and it was. I don't know as yet if it will go away when I start it up or if I will need to find someone local with a GS911 (or wait until I get one myself) to clear it.
Could you elaborate just what you did here....? Did you cut and resolder the wire(s) to eliminate the open circuit. Thanks!

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2012, 7:02 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Exact-a-mundo...

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode