on board music - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage
on board music

After searching around for ages I think I may have found a suitable candidate for music on the KGT.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SINGLE-DIN...-/280819682984

same thing in Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denver-CAU-4.../dp/B006GD5RY4

It's a 1/2 depth so would fit easily into the glove box of the K or even possibly into the body work on the left side (if a suitable waterproof cover can be made).

Plumbed into the autocom etc, and as it has SD slots mp3's etc can be popped in easily, and the face plate comes off for security.

Have to do some measuring

Anyone got any ideas for a cover if it was installed in the left side of the cowling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 1:17 pm
Veteran

Just go the glove box route. Easy to make a template and then let a plastics shop cut out a faceplate to fit in there. They may have an idea for a exterior cover, but it will look odd on the left fairing upper no matter what.

My experiences with radios on bikes has been dismal though, even with an expensive Kenwood I put into my RT when I threw the old BMW radio/cassette player in the trash with all the BMW harness/switches and the squeaky BMW speakers too. FM range is sketchy out of town and lots of static too even on AM. The CD side of the Kenwood was prone to skipping on bumps though and enough bumps would overrun the buffer. Satellite on the GT was better for touring, but the compression and audio quality was sort of yucky with decent phones. BMW has to be the worst for audio quality against anything out there.

Best I've found for "audiophile quality" on a motorcycle is a Sony X-series MP3 player (not Apple, they suck on audio quality as did the defunct Zune) piped through some musician's phones, or what they call as "Custom In-Ear Monitors" or "Reference Monitors" like the Ultimate Ears (link) which have to be made from an impression of your ears and are pricey, like $1,200 up to $2,000 for the multiple-speaker units (Mine has 4 speakers per in-ear phone, UE-11). Even with an Autocom in the middle of them you will get amp background hiss, but it is only heard in silent spots. They have to be one of the best accessories I have used on the bike as they kill off exterior wind noise in the helmet and I can listen to them at a lower level while they still deliver the full acoustic range. No tinnitus after a long ride either.

Mack
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 3:25 pm
Addict

I have AutoCom on my GT.
Tried using their speakers in the helmet but when at a BMW rally a guy there was making in-ear (molded) system. The speakers are very small in a pod that splits to plastic tubes which are through the ear piece. Very clear sound. $200 I think it was. As said the in-ear pieces make a better sound proof to road/wind and make talking/music so much better.

Now we plug in a MP3 player SanDisk into the Autocom and listen to all our music. I can even just plug the MP3 into the ear connection sans the Autocom when solo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2012, 5:05 pm

I've put a Pure Highway 300Di http://www.pure.com/products/product...1716&Category= on my bike.

Main unit fits between the airbox and ABS main unit on the left side. Display is fitted on the left handlebar. Only catch is that the display unit is not waterproof.
Sound is further routed via Autocom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode