2008 K1200GT fast idle when really HOT! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2012, 4:34 pm Thread Starter
Addict

2008 K1200GT fast idle when really HOT!

I remember that some K12GT's had this issue of a fast idle/rough running at a high idle when very hot. I even think this was related to the early "airbox" issue but that may be wrong. Any ideas. I have 10,000 miles on it and no other issues.

Yesterday in the Northeast (on I-95) it was 95F and I was stuck in heavy traffic and it was really unpleasant.

The bike is out of warranty so I hesitate to ask the dealer, but wasn't the fix to this a software update/air-box replacement?

When I bought the bike (private sale) my local dealer ran the VIN and said all "campaigns" had been taken care of on my bike.

I otherwise love this bike, but when the idle is fast the clunky shifting in low gears makes it a pig to ride slow.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2012, 5:20 pm
Addict

I believe the worst of the fast idle problems was caused by the idle bypass valve (which supplies bypass air to the intake system to allow ECU control of idle speed) sticking in its bore, causing an uncommanded high idle speed. Since part of the bypass valve is integral to the airbox an airbox replacement/update was required on affected bikes. But... I think a late 2007 or 2008 build date would pretty much guarantee that you have the updated part and software. But you could be having trouble in that area even still as any part can always fail, even if it is the latest version. Anyway that's where I'd tend to look first for a hot high-idle problem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2012, 6:36 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks! I wonder if my GS911 will show any faults? Will advise...

Found a great post here describing how this all works...http://www.bmwsuperbikes.com/forum/v...14801&p=109775

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

Last edited by lhendrick; Jun 29th, 2012 at 6:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:10 pm
Veteran

I got a new air box and software on my '07 cause it was really bad all over the place idle and for the most part it's been OK since. You could actually see the plastic had warped a bit on mine. But it's never been perfect. I still get occasional hiccups and fast idle at start up. Never anything that lasts more than 2 seconds though. I sort of just learned to live with it. Figure it's just the computer brain and mechanics catching up to each other.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2012, 3:34 pm Thread Starter
Addict

From my reading it seems the design was changed before I got my bike, so it may be that the idle bypass valve has gummed up from dirty fuel and air and dirt and life - combined with high temperature expansion, since it only happens in HOT temps.

It is bad enough that it was dangerous in heavy stop and go traffic, causing me to use a lot of clutch and brake (or just backing way off) to keep from getting way too close to the car bumper in front of me. Most unpleasant when combined with our clunky shifting transmission and low speed roughness in general.

It's too damn hot to put on the GS911 to hunt for faults and look at actual operating parameters, but I will get around to it.

I'm not in the mood to buy a new airbox (since that and the valve design should be alright on mine), but changing out a valve (or a least cleaning it up) might work.

I am at 10K miles. I'll probably wait until I do the 12K service to take stuff apart, as I want to check the cam chain tensioner and jump guard status on this bike too and isolate the brake wear sensor wires too. Fun bike, no? My GSA just keeps running....

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2012, 3:40 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Fun bike, no? My GSA just keeps running....
Yes, that's the price we pay for 150 hp per liter vs. 100 hp per liter. Sometimes it just isn't worth it, but then again sometimes... it is...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode