Hesitation & Stalling on 2007 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2012, 9:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Hesitation & Stalling on 2007 K1200GT

Hi. I am a newbie to BMW and motorcycling; I purchased used 2007 K1200GT from dealer in MN in Jan. 2012, with 22,600 miles. At 23,400, I just had 24,000 mile service and new tires installed, in prep for July 4-8 ride. After 40 mile ride home from dealership, I had to take it back to service due to leaky rear transaxle seals (didn't leak before). With work travel, I couldn't take it back to dealer until 2 weeks later, and finally today I picked it up after new transaxle seals were installed. However, as I drove it home today, about 40 miles in 90F temps (warm), it seems to have slight missing at highway speeds, but more troubling is that it died unexpectedly as I approached stop sign, and is hesitating as I start out from stops. I need to give it more throttle and work the clutch some to keep it running at about 60% of my starts, but not every time. It didn't do this before and at cooler temperatures I have ridden in so far. I read some of the forums on "stalls" but so far I haven't seen anything about hesitation / sputtering when starting out from a stop. Does anybody have any ideas or solutions? After spending $2,000 for tires and "routine service" and 2 trips to dealership in the past 4-weeks I am running short on time to fix this new bug and running short on experience with this bike. I need some experienced K1200GT folks to help me decide if this is something that will likely get worse and cause a real failure on my 1300 mile trip, or that it is not likely to be a "show stopper"? My buddies will be unhappy if my BMW wrecks our trip. Also, I have a F650GS (single cylinder) that I could ride instead, if K1200 is likely to get worse. I doubt the dealer will get time by Wednesday to help me with K1200, and after reading some posts, I am not sure another trip to the dealership is worthwhile? Should I have avoided BMW if I am looking for "dependable / reliable" machine? I expect to service a machine routinely and to be paid back with consistent and reliable service by machine. Is that unrealistic with this bike? Are the new ones better? Should I risk taking K1200 on the 1,300 mile trip or take the 650 instead? THANKS so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2012, 8:54 am
Noob

Hi,
FWIW .... I also have a 2007 K1200GT and I also had the same "more than occasional" problem of hesitation when pulling out from a stop sign and stalling when comming to a stop ....
the short version of the long story was that the problem my bike was having was related to the ethanol in the fuel I was using ...... I went and bought some "Ethanol Shield" and religiously started using it everytime I fill up .... .. my hesitation and stalling went away ......
since then I've done 2,000 mile trip with no problems ...and I usually ride every day..

I don't know if your problem is related but for under $10 ... maybe worth a try!

[CENTER]ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!![/CENTER]
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:25 am

Because a 5 year old bike only has 22,000 miles on it, I suspect the fuel as well. My 07 GT started stalling at 36,000 miles and the dealer tried everything they could think of with no luck. Finally at about 83,000 miles on it they got the OK from BMWNA to do a "deep" fuel injector cleaning. I am pretty sure it was more involved that just putting additives in the tank as it took 3.5 hours. It totally cured the stalling. My guess is your injectors are a little gummed up and the ethanol is not helping. Try fuel injection cleaner and a fuel additive. My dealer used GS650's for loaners so I have logged thousands of miles on them but can't recommend them for a road trip over the GT. I assume you have upgraded the cam gears, chain, tensioner and added the jumpguard, if not take the 650 anyway.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2012, 7:11 pm

Run to Chevron and grab a bottle a Techron. I would agree that the Ethanol is your likley culpret. Good place to start at least.
Lucky up here in Canada to have Ethanol free 94 octane.
My 07 runs very clean and very strong with it. Might have somediffert opinons on this fuel issue but my. 02 says that ethanol does nothing good for our bikes..
Try the Techron, cant hurt and may do the trick.
Hope you have a good trip.

Kbikeinbc
07 kgt
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2012, 9:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile

Thanks all for your input. I had put in some Sea Foam (best I could find locally) yesterday when it first started to happen, thinking it might be a fuel issue. Today after seeing your responses I rode it back to the dealer (about 100 miles round trip) to purchase either Techron or E/S, and by the end of trip it seemed a lot better. I purchased Techron and a new battery (turn over seemed sluggish when engine was hot). I'll use Techron or Ethanol Shield going forward. Thanks so much; your experience helped rebuild my confidence in this K1200, and I am sure the trip will be great! I'll sleep a lot better tonight!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 8:17 am

The leak issue is likely not going to be future problem. I had the same thing happen to me on my 08 GT. The dealer put the wrong o-ring after filling the final drive I made it to the end of the driveway of the dealer before bringing it back. They fill it through a sensor behind the rotor and between the years there are different size o-rings and if its not the perfect size it will leak.

The hesitation and stalling issue does sound like some type of fuel issue. I would agree with the others in some type of additive or just try to burn most of the tank and fill with fresh gas (93 Octane). I had some issues with a hesitation when I back down to 2300-2500 RPM and ended up putting in a Booster Plug. It took a little time to put in but fixed the hesitation issues.

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 6:00 am

I've read quite a bit on the forums about ethanol and hesitation with our bikes. There's times where I can get up to a 2 second lag from when I twist the throttle to where it actually starts to accelerate. Kinda scary when you're in a hurry to cross traffic or get around a corner and it just doesn't go. I've read that cleaners or stabilizers help with the ethanol issue. I haven't really tried it yet though. I've also read the booster plugs and such help quite a bit.

One of the products pushed you can get at the marine section of WalMart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-8o...itive/16351036

StarTron claims "Instantly cures fuel jelling caused by cold weather and E10 alcohol fuels" and is also a fuel stabilizer for storing fuel. It goes a long way. Not sure how much it actually cleans like Techron would do, though.

Dave
2008 K1200GT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 11:02 am
jsh
Noob

The hesitation and stalling issue does sound like some type of fuel issue. I would agree with the others in some type of additive or just try to burn most of the tank and fill with fresh gas (93 Octane). I had some issues with a hesitation when I back down to 2300-2500 RPM and ended up putting in a Booster Plug. It took a little time to put in but fixed the hesitation issues.[/QUOTE]

I had the same hesitation issues as well and the Booster Plug has helped considerably.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh
The hesitation and stalling issue does sound like some type of fuel issue. I would agree with the others in some type of additive or just try to burn most of the tank and fill with fresh gas (93 Octane). I had some issues with a hesitation when I back down to 2300-2500 RPM and ended up putting in a Booster Plug. It took a little time to put in but fixed the hesitation issues.

I had the same hesitation issues as well and the Booster Plug has helped considerably.[/QUOTE]

I installed the Booster Plug today and rode about 30 or so miles, some highway and some in town. The hesitation that was there at low RPM's is now gone completely. I can putt around in 1st or 2nd gear and keep it at a constant RPM without the jerking and fueling issues that occurred previously. Our bikes run lean, the BP helps richen up the mixture. Pain to install but sure worth it.

Our gas in Texas is 93 with 10% ethanol. I thought it was the problem before but will put more miles on with the BP installed to see if it's cured.

Dave
2008 K1200GT
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2013, 12:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Booster Plug - What is it? How is it working out?

Hello folks. Long winter in MN, so 2007 K1200GT has been in storage for ~ 4 months now, but hope to take her out soon. Planning 3,500 mile ride around 4th of July. Could those of you who installed booster plugs tell me more? What is booster plug? How installed? What is cost? Who installed (trained service tech or you)? In past posts, 2 or 3 of you said it really helped reduce hesitation and stalling related to fuel issues, so how is it working out since last posts? Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode