Busted my center stand - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 3:51 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Busted my center stand

I know I've seen this online, probably here too. The part you step down on snapped off yesterday. Dealer is referring me to BMW customer service, so i called and am going to wait to hear from them, the guy who speciallizes in cycles will talk to his boss about it.

Dealer is offering to weld it for $78/hr and should take about an hour he says. I don't know if this is just a weld job or if they reinforce it. There is some way I read about to reinforce or stiffen it up I thought? Anyone refer me to that? I have a brother who would probably do a better weld job than the dealer, he's really good, does it for a living too. Although the dealer has probably done a few so have more experience with this particular job, given this set of circumstances, which would you choose? Brother would probably just take a beer or two sometime for payment, we both help each other out with stuff, me doing mechanical sort of stuff for him once in awhile.

Also does anyone know, if I would get a new center stand, would a new one be improved over a stock 07 center stand?

Thanks all
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:00 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I know I've seen this online, probably here too. The part you step down on snapped off yesterday. Dealer is referring me to BMW customer service, so i called and am going to wait to hear from them, the guy who speciallizes in cycles will talk to his boss about it.

Dealer is offering to weld it for $78/hr and should take about an hour he says. I don't know if this is just a weld job or if they reinforce it. There is some way I read about to reinforce or stiffen it up I thought? Anyone refer me to that? I have a brother who would probably do a better weld job than the dealer, he's really good, does it for a living too. Although the dealer has probably done a few so have more experience with this particular job, given this set of circumstances, which would you choose? Brother would probably just take a beer or two sometime for payment, we both help each other out with stuff, me doing mechanical sort of stuff for him once in awhile.

Also does anyone know, if I would get a new center stand, would a new one be improved over a stock 07 center stand?

Thanks all
Gilly

Looking at the unsightly welding job on the frame, I'd say BMW welders are capable of welding, just don't do a very good job of cleaning their welds. In that case, I'd trust a professional welder to weld and leave the mechanical work to mechanics. There is a writeup floating around where the folks whom have already had their centerstand improved over the factory.

Of course this begs the question: Are BMW engineers so underqualified to design a centerstand for a motorcycle? Unfortunately, the answer is a big, YES, THEY SURE ARE!!!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:04 pm
Rookie

Here it is:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18643

FS: 2007 Silver Metallic K1200GT - 21,000 miles. PM me if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:06 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

I talked to one guy about it and told him it was a tube, he can't believe it's not solid. Of course that would be heavier, but maybe just this section should be solid??? Never broke on my K75 but was starting to wear through so I replaced it once on that as well, but at least it never actually broke.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:22 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsaltybastard
Thanks ya old salty bastard!

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 5:34 pm
IBR# 366

Welcome to the club.

I see someone linked to the center stand thread already. That has all the info you, or your brother, will need.

As I see it, you have several options.

1) Get your brother to weld it, using the bracing techniques in the linked thread. Probably the cheapest and most sturdy option.

2) Pay the dealer to weld it. Why, when your brother can do it better and cheaper?

3) Replace it with a K1300GT center stand. Good option, but the most expensive.

Hell, if I was closer, I'd come by and weld it up myself.

If it was me, I'd get your brother to do it as specified. Also have him look at the center stand stops while you're in there. Might as well get it right.

And just be glad that it didn't break when the bike was fully loaded, such that you dropped it onto a concrete floor. Or fail when you were far from home and needed to get the rear tire replaced . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 8:03 pm
Rookie

I'd also go with having your brother weld it. He's probably going to take a little more at an be more patient about it resulting in a much better job and likely better than factory....I can just feel it.

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 9:14 pm
Veteran

Interesting that on MAX BMW the center stand part number for the K1300GT is now the same for the older K1200GT series as well. Out with the old.

46 52 7 719 350 Center stand $265.79

Mack
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:03 pm
Addict

head over to a local custom muffler/tow hitch shop ,one that is privately owned ,we have a few in our area down here in san diego and i know a couple in L.A ,i have the one guy here weld everything from suspension parts on my rhino .custom weld's on my truck bed and hell if i broke off my stand i'de hit him up ,just a suggestion good luck..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:43 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Interesting that on MAX BMW the center stand part number for the K1300GT is now the same for the older K1200GT series as well.
That's a common engineering change. If a part is a drop-in replacement, but improved in some significant way, then the old part is simply discontinued and replaced with the new part number.

No sense for BMW to weld up and sell an obsolete part when there is a better replacement assembly available.

Hell, if we wait long enough, we might see the entire K12 replaced by K13 parts. Oh wait, the K13 is also obsolete, replaced by that 6-cylinder behemoth . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode