bought a K1200GT and drove it 2000 miles home! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

bought a K1200GT and drove it 2000 miles home!

Hi all

After much debate, I finally bought a BMW. I bought a K1200GT in San Diego and rode it home to Canada. A distance of 2000 miles, or roughly 3000 km !

Not a mechanical problem the whole way. Fantastic bike on the highway - especially at around 85 mph. So stable. In town and at low speeds, the weight shows.

I'm happy with my purchase. I'm still finishing up the import process with Canada regulations. The one negative item? BMW Canada wants $500 for a "recall letter" which states the bike is up-to-date as far as any recalls go. I think this is just a cash grab and a way for BMW to try to dissuade people from importing their cars and bikes from USA.

I went through Arizona and New Mexico on the way home. Let's say being from Canada, I'm not used to 100'F + temps! Colorado and further north were slightly cooler at 90'F.

Now to scour the forums for wisdom and hints for my bike....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:14 pm
IBR# 366

Congrats on the new bike, and what a great a way to get to know it well.

You're gonna love it.

Too bad you couldn't just get a Recall Letter from the selling dealer . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 8:01 am
Addict

awesome report ,i also have the gt and though i havent put that many mile's in one trip yet i have done several 2-300 miler's and the seat sucks ..did you have an aftermarket seat ,how many mile's per day did you ride ,and yes for me its the best darn machine i've ridden...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 8:45 am
Enthusiast

Congrats mate, Im one of the few who find the stock seat ok, in fact Ive got a Airhawk but on this bike it makes things worse for some reason, also I use my bike a fair bit round town and for a big ol bus find it pretty nimble, in fact easier than an S I tried. $500 for a letter? And I thought it was only us in the UK who got shafted, no pun intended. Enjoy your new steed.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:01 am
Enthusiast

Yea, I remember the guy I sold my GS to needed to get one of those (he was from Alberta). He asked if I could get one from my dealer, which I did. It was a simple printout from the BMW dealer on their letterhead that stated "No Campaigns" with the VIN #. He thought it would work but I never heard back if it worked. My dealer did it for free.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 2:54 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordsaid
I think this is just a cash grab and a way for BMW to try to dissuade people from importing their cars and bikes from USA.
Yes, and a rather brazen one at that. But as the others mentioned contact your selling dealer and they should be able to provide you the documentation... although that's not to say that BMW Canada will then say that the printout must come from Canadian dealer's printer or something. Pretty much legal theft.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 5:24 pm
Veteran

How about the selling dealer sends it to a Canadian dealer and they in turn print it for you on their printer?

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 5:25 pm
Veteran

Or the selling dealer sends it directly to you, for that matter, and you print it yourself?

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 5:33 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
How about the selling dealer sends it to a Canadian dealer and they in turn print it for you on their printer?

Or the selling dealer sends it directly to you, for that matter, and you print it yourself?
Won't work either way.

First, this is bureaucracy. It's their rules, it doesn't have to make sense, and you have to follow them or you're screwed.

And second, it is done as a punishment to those who buy cheaper bikes in the US and import them, thus bypassing BMW Canada's profits. So they just grab $500 directly for running a simple check and printing out a piece of paper.

It's just the way the world works, I'm afraid . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Hey Winterpeg. Call the US dealer and run the vin for updates. If the basics are done, airbox, dog bone, stablizer etc, there is little that the Canadian dealer will have to add. Actually, likely nothing. If you have no remaining waranty, its nothing but a BMW dealer cash grab.
I dont think you need the 500 dollar paper for licence and insurance so I would be inclined to change the oil, check the brakes and ride the snot out of it.
Good luck

Kbikeinb
07 Kgt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode