The rear was a bear! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 7:43 pm Thread Starter
Lieu

The rear was a bear!

I have been trying to increase the amount of work I do on my bike instead of spending the big $ at a shop. This time it was putting on new tires. Front change went pretty well. The rear however was a bear just removing the old tire. Anyone have any tricks for making getting that tire off easier? The second lip would NOT come off! I used soapy water, but that didn't seem to make the tire slid as much as I apparently needed! Does tire lube make the job a bit easier? Gotta go rest before trying to put the new one back on... maybe have a few beers while I recover!

Ken
Elgin, IL

2007 BMW K1200 GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded-in)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 8:07 pm
Enthusiast

What kind of tire changer are you using

Real Pretty Blue 09KGT
00 REX 1100
01 REX 1200
08 ZX14 Dark Blue Metallic

93 Supercharged Lytnin
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:06 pm
Veteran

Yeah. That bead can be a tough one to break off the rim lip at times. I bought one of those large steel C-looking bead breaker things and use it with piece of plywood on the opposite side of the rim and tighten it until it breaks off the bead lip. Some large wooden parallel wooden clamps from Harbor Freight help too to keep it pinched and from sticking back to the rim.

Another approach is to get that hard nylon bead popper thing that looks like a wedge and handle and a large 8 pound (or heavier) dead blow hammer and beta the dumb thing off the bead lip. Lighter hammers don't work and just recoil back and hit you in the head, so heavy it must be. Sort of a satisfying tool to beat the dumb thing into submission.

Once it is free, you can pretty much lube it up and pull it free of the rim by hand. Take small bites with the tire irons too. I use 3 of them around the wheel and spaced pretty close and walk them around the rim with some nylon rim saves on ropes to get back if they go off into the tire. Yamaha Spray Tire Mounting Lube is good to use too and seals the bead well.

I've pretty much changed and balanced all my motorcycle tires/wheels myself doing it the old fashioned way. I see my local dealer has "Tire Tuesdays" now and only $10 to change the tire at the shop (No balancing.). Even when I get a good deal, I end up with the dead-blow sledge hammer on the lawn with a blanket spread out. Masochistic I guess.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2012, 8:25 am
Addict

Changing the wide and low-profile rear tire on the GT is a PITA for sure, much more difficult than the tires on any of my other bikes. I dread that one when it comes time. Using exactly the right technique is critical but another set of hands really helps so maybe see if you can round up a helper. Or if you've got a Cycle Gear or other low-cost tire changing place around, twenty bucks as never better spent.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2012, 9:02 am
Veteran

A tire changing system such as No-Mar is popular, though expensive. No-Mar has a lower-cost "Cycle Hill" brand as well. There are other changing systems - you might find one on your local craigslist. Some people like the cheap Harbor Freight tire changer which is no longer available new, but most hate them and say that they scratch the rims. There are probably lots of used ones out there. There are third-party products you can add to your Harbor Freight tire changer to make it more like a No-Mar (Mojoblocks, Mojolever).

No-Mar and Cycle Hill:
http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

Mojoblocks and Mojolever:
http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

Someone is selling something that looks like a Harbor Freight tire changer for $149 on my local Craigslist:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tld/3019796172.html

You can also make your own home-brew tire changer that is pretty good. I want to build one for myself like this one. This tire changer was created by a friend, who was nice enough to post it on the web for others:
http://www.ldrider.ca/fjrtech/tire-c...e-changing.htm

You will also need a wheel balancer. There is almost universal agreement that the Marc Parnes balancers are the very best. They are not cheap, but will last a lifetime and are oh so worth it.
http://marcparnes.com/
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2012, 11:41 am
IBR# 366

If you're serious about changing tires, or you have a lot of riding friends, then this is an option:

Weaver W-M807 Motorcycle / ATV Tire Changer

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2012, 7:31 pm

I used to change my tires on older bikes, but with these new wide and low profile tires, I beleive it's not worth the effort. Unless you decide it's worth it. I bring the kgt and the f800swheels to the bike shop and for $15.00 a wheel they mount and balance the new tires. I don't know how much your local shop may charge you but it's worth asking. I run 2 to 3 sets a season on my kgt, and 1 for the F800S. I change the /7 tires and off road bike as they are old style wheel with tube, and easier smaller (much smaller) tires.

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Addict

I agree that it's certainly worth $15 to have someone else deal with it, but that's if you have access to reasonably-priced service. In my area it's full shop rates to change a tire which means $50-$75 each... that is if the dealer will even mount a tire that they didn't sell, and if not then you're paying full list for the tire too. Which is why I change my own.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 12:05 am

I use the NoMar classic tire changer and they have a good selection of additional
tools to help the job go better. I like the Posi-Clamps better than the cam locks for
holding the tire still. The whole kit is a bit of coin but I do several tire changes/year
plus friends bikes. It gets easier with repetition. The NoMar makes getting tires off easy.

I've also found that a hot tire is much! easier to install. Lay it in the sun till its 120F or so.
I'm thinking of getting a tire warmer like the racer guys use for days when the sun doesn't
cooperate.

2016 R1200 GSA, 2007 K1200 GT, 1981 CBX, 1975 Norton, 1968 Moto Guzzi
The Banks Tour - Fair to Outer
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2012, 12:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
If you're serious about changing tires, or you have a lot of riding friends, then this is an option:

Weaver W-M807 Motorcycle / ATV Tire Changer

Sure....now you post this......where was this post BEFORE I bought my No-Mar ?

Quite happy with it BTW.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode