Need/want new handgrips..... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 1:29 am Thread Starter
Noob

Need/want new handgrips.....

Hello,

I have a 2005 K1200GT that is nearing its 36,000 mile service. I'm considering replacing the heated handlebar grips with new one's as the OEM's are becoming a little worn.

My questions are;

a) Are there any alternatives to the factory grips that will work with the heated feature?

b) Is it a straightforward process or will I get the "This aint gonna be cheap" look by the the service manager?

c) Does anybody know of a decent looking "Barkbuster" style of hand/wind guards that I can fit to my bike? Live in NorCal so I ride year-round when morning temps can be as low as 25 degrees. Heated handlebars are okay if you don't mind blistered palms and frost bitten knuckles.

Thanks, Glenn

Glenn Damron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 9:10 am
Veteran

Grip Puppies....all you need.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/mo...P/GPSMALL.html

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 9:42 am

I replaced the grips on my R1100RS with standard replacement grips and I'm guessing that the same should be do-able for the GT. You need to very carefully cut the rubber grip off the heating element being carefull not to damage it. The ones on my old RS were only glued at the ends, so it wasn't too hard to get them off. Then you can slip on the new grips and glue them in place. You need to buy two sets of standard handgrips since both sides are the larger diameter that is typically only for the throttle side, wheras on most bikes the left grip slips directly onto the bar end. Even with buying two sets of grips, the cost is far less than the cost of even one factory heated one.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 2:20 pm
IBR# 366

If you want to stick with the factory grips, but don't want to pay outrageous prices, then order two of BMW part # 32 7 22 332 619. This is listed as Left Grip, Unheated, but the rubber grip is the same. What you do is carefully cut the old grips off, then remove the new rubber grip from its plastic tube (which you don't need), then slide the new grip over your existing heater elements.

Or if your existing grips are worn but not damaged, go with the Grip Puppies. They'll cover up the worn grips, and also give you a slightly thicker, padded grip. With my large hands, I add Grip Puppies to every new bike just because they're more comfortable.

As far as wind guards, you have two options.

The AeroGards work really well, and keep the wind off of your hands and most of your arms as well.

Or if you're mostly concerned with just the hands, you could go with the factory hand guards from an R1150GS. These will screw right in to the end of the GT's handlebars using the factory GS hardware. You'll have to make up some small brackets to hold the inner end of the guards, but that's not too difficult.

You want parts # 2, 3, 4 from the diagram below.

#2....32 71 2 328 693....$26.88....1 pieceÖ..Hand Guard, Black, Left
#2....46 63 2 328 694....$26.88....1 piece......Hand Guard, Black, Right
#3....32 71 2 328 841......$7.02....2 pieces....Clamping Bush
#4....32 71 7 660 005......$2.37....2 pieces....Countersunk Head Screw - M8X40

So for $72.54 plus a bit of work, you have an option that looks factory.

Or you can order from Countryside BMW and use the PROMO15 code to save 15%, although in such a small order it'd probably be a wash with shipping versus local sales tax.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Jul 7th, 2012 at 2:38 pm.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Veteran

I believe the bike being discussed is a Gen 1 K bike GT not a wedge. Most of the info discussed here does apply I think, probably not the heated grips or Aeroguards

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 3:20 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I believe the bike being discussed is a Gen 1 K bike GT not a wedge. Most of the info discussed here does apply I think, probably not the heated grips or Aeroguards
Ah, then this should probably be moved to the K1200RS/GT (Classic) forum, where he's likely to get more model-specific help.

In that case, the info on the hand guards doesn't apply, as that bike has no separate bar end weights, and thus no threaded fastener in the end of the bars. And the AeroGards don't apply either, as the Brick GT already has similar factory side fairing extensions.

But the info on the factory grips and Grip Puppies still does.

Yep, the parts fiche for the '03-'04 Classic GT does show the same grips used. Although they do note that 32 7 22 332 619 has been superseded by 32 7 27 694 809. So that should still work, and save him a few $$.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2012, 10:09 am
Enthusiast

These are available also http://pirateslair.net/Gripbuddies.htm

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2012, 9:01 pm
Enthusiast

I looked into the new grip buddies - a guy from NY makes & sells them here in the North East - anyway I had time to think about trying them out do to a log splitter accident in April - got my bike back & my finger - I've always had grip puppies in the bike - my only issue is in the rain or morning dew on the grips

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
'05 R1200GS
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2012, 9:29 pm
Noob

Grip Puppies. This is the fourth bike I have put them on. You cannot find anything better for $10!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode