Booster Plug & Fuel Smell - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 2:07 pm Thread Starter
jsh
Noob

Booster Plug & Fuel Smell

Thought I would inquire of the experts here again. I installed the Booster Plug and wondered if any other folks here have experienced any fuel smell after install. It is intermittant sometimes while riding and other times while parked? I have read on the other threads where the male quick disconnect can be problematic, but before removing the plastic again and replacing the quick connect thought I would see if quite possibly the Booster Plug with additional en-richment might be what I am smelling? Otherwise I may have just bunged up the male connector or gasket on assembly.
Thanks,
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 8:35 pm
Veteran

I'm voting you bunged something up. That mess down there is a big crack just looking for a fuel leak around that fitting. I'm sort of surprised mine didn't just go up in flames when it leaked while I was riding it and 40 miles from home. I thought it was traffic around me until I got it in the garage and then saw the dripping. Soaked the mat under the tank and it came loose and then it really smelled.

If you want, Harbor Freight now has those video cameras on a flexible snake that you can fish in there and look. I used one and caught the video of the thing squirting when the key was turned on and the pump pressurizing the line. Came from a small hairline crack around the plastic sprinkler pipe like connector on the pump flange. Made a circular clamp to hold it together and a lot of JB Weld (slow-dry one) over paying the $500 for a new pump plate.

I doubt if the Booster is making it that much richer. If it smells worse over a period of several minutes to an hour, it's most likely a leak and that mat under the tank is soaked.

Mack
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 9:22 pm
Addict

Almost certainly a leak, all it takes is to merely look at the pump fitting wrong. Cracks/leaks at the pump flange (as GMack described) are very common and obviously dangerous, but BMW will not cop to a problem... yet the fuel pump has mysteriously been updated and now includes a metal ring surrounding the flange to reinforce it. Just coincidence doncha' know, as there is no problem.

Beemer Boneyard sells a clamp to assist in a home repair. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it works for a while. Hopefully you will experience the former as the only other fix is replacement of the expensive pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 10:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Beemer Boneyard sells a clamp to assist in a home repair. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it works for a while. Hopefully you will experience the former as the only other fix is replacement of the expensive pump.
I just had to look for their clamp: Fuel pump clamp.

Wow! That looks much like the one I made back in 2009 or so here, other than I used a long hex socket screw for the clamp-screw part. Still in there along with the JB Weld too. I'd be curious as to what BMW is using. Probably 2x the price of $32 B-Boneyard one too. I think I made mine for $2 or so out of garage debris.

Mack
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2012, 10:56 pm
Addict

BMW's mod is a metal ring crimped onto the flange, done during manufacture. It isn't a separate part. As usual BMW's solution is to simply replace the entire $500 pump assembly.

Also FWIW I've read of a few cases of JB Weld being permeable to high-pressure fuel when fixing this type of leak, and I experienced something like that myself when fixing a radiator leak with JB Weld... the joint looked completely solid but it still seeped coolant. For the fuel pump fix I might prefer a thread sealant product that is designed to resist high-pressure fluids, available from Permatex and others.

Last edited by smiller; Jul 7th, 2012 at 11:03 pm.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 10:51 am Thread Starter
jsh
Noob

Thanks for all the responses. I inspected the area around the front of the fuel tank while the bike was running and when stopped. No visible spraying or leaks. I went ahead and replaced the male qd and re attached everything and still fuel smell. I followed the fuel line to where it connects to the fuel rail and no leaks there either. Also inspected where the injectors? go into the head and no leaks as well. Noticed a slight amount of rust on a small vent tube? that comes out of the front of the fuel tank and cleaned that up a bit, no change. I inspected the fuel tank and mat and no signs of moisture. I am a little baffled at this point. I think I will just put it all together, ride it and hope she doesn't blow........

If I ever locate the issue I certainly will post up.

Thanks,
J
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 11:47 am
Addict

That's good news if there is no leak. But sometimes it can be more of a slight seepage than a leak and it's easy to miss. It takes amazingly little fuel to be detectable as a fuel smell. If you still can't find anything no matter how close an inspection then you don't have much choice than to do as you plan and just monitor closely for any future issues.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 2:04 pm Thread Starter
jsh
Noob

Thanks SMiller - I guess at this point - like you say just ride and monitor. Hopefully I will not be in too much of a remote location if it decides to really let loose......

J
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 3:23 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh
Hopefully I will not be in too much of a remote location if it decides to really let loose......
You do have adequate breakdown and towing coverage, right?

Well, you are riding a modern BMW, so of course you do.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 8:04 pm Thread Starter
jsh
Noob

Hey ya Ken - I have towing insurance, that is if I am cell range. Also carry the BMW Anonymous with me. I like your new bike - I hope it serves you well.

J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode