Inquiring of the Collective Wisdom here.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 9:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

Inquiring of the Collective Wisdom here..

Just got back from a 1500 mile two day road trip and ran into something new on my 2007 K1200GT (15K) ...... and would like to run it past the collective wisdom on this site...

Part way thru the trip I started to experience a sudden drop in the rpms when rolling off the throttle ... so instead of rolling off the throttle and getting a smooth deaccelration of the engine.... it's like the rpms started to roll off and then a sudden drop off ... almost like I had snapped the throttle shut and of course the corresponding jerk of the bike responding to a throttle snapped shut....

and then when I would try to compensate by twisting the throttle to accelerate, I would get that same jerkiness ........... not a good thing to be happening when negoiating a sharp bend comming down thru the mountains of WV

After pulling over I would try and snap the throttle a few times and then would experience the throttle hanging up at a higher RPM ..... so I would end up just shutting it down........... and after the bike cooled down..... all the issues cleared up and I was off and running again .... but would experience the same problem at some point during the trip next day ......

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks for any Input ...
Roady.

[CENTER]ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!![/CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Veteran

I don't think there is any collective wisdom here, LOL.

It sound like maybe an airbox problem, I know this was an early problem that I experienced only ONCE on my 07, which happened, believe it or not, on my way home from the dealership on my first ride with it, taking it home. Hasn't done it since. Maybe check along those lines. Was it really hot when it happened? On the day I picked mine up it was a real scorcher, plus got stuck in a traffic backup, bumper to bumper stuff. Revving up and down and generally made me wonder if I was going to get it home. Then suddenly cleared up and was fine. Some interference btween the airbox and throttle, like it warps under high heat or something like that.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 5:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for response Gilly ..... and yes it pretty hot..around 100+ both days and little relief at night.... I was also wondering of the possibility of not being able to complete the trip....
I will be calling the dealer Tuesday to schedule them taking a look at things ..... do you know if the airbox was a recall issue for these bikes ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 5:39 pm
Noob

Mine did exactly the same thing. I believe that's what people mean when they say "bucking bronco syndrome." I fixed mine with a Power Commander. You might try replacing the O2 sensor first, as that's much easier and cheaper.

- Matt
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2012, 11:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Matt,
between the air box and the 02 sensor..... may lie the cure! ... I'm getting ready to head out to the Rally in another week and then on to CO to visit a friend ..... but no way wanted to have to worry about if I was going to make it or not ....
Thanks for the input guys..... I'll be passing on this info to the dealer as to things that I want checked out or replaced..

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2012, 4:07 am
Veteran

Not sure if this was a "recall" per se, or just a tech bulletin. I would assume a tech bulletin though, they never really addressed the 1 time issue with my bikem if it were a recall they would have done it I'm sure.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2012, 4:08 am
Veteran

Woul dfeel better if we could get Meese to chime in. I would just be aware of it and go ahead and go to the rally.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2012, 6:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

"Not sure if this was a "recall" per se, or just a tech bulletin. I would assume a tech bulletin though, they never really addressed the 1 time issue with my bikem if it were a recall they would have done it I'm sure"

.I agree.. I had also had an issue with the RPMs not backing down when I was headed to the Bloomsburg Rally. I pulled over and mess around with the cables a little and snapped the throttle a few times and the issue seemed to disapear ...
I was down to the dealer for inspection and service a few weeks ago and asked that the throttle cable assembly be checked out and had told them of the problem, but at the time they couldn't find anything wrong .......

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2012, 10:16 am
IBR# 366

If the problem specifically seems related to high ambient temps, I would suspect the airbox idle control valve sticking. The plastic airbox sits right over the cylinders so its internal temp can get quite high, causing the airbox to warp slightly and the valve to stick in its bore.

This is a known issue, and many air boxes were replaced under a Service Bulletin, but I doubt that all GTs have been retrofitted.

There's lots of info here if you search for airbox idle control valve or bucking bronco.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Rookie

Here's the Service Bulletin if anyone wants. http://bit.ly/PHJgv0

The most recent part number for the air box (aka intake muffler) is 13 71 7 705 568

The part number for the Idle Control Valve (idle system) is 13 71 7 705 442

The two screws to affix the two together are part number 11 61 7 535 849

The original air box/ idle control valve and new parts are not interchangeable, they cannot be mixed and matched.

It's probably prudent to have the software checked to be sure it's up to date as well if you find that you must take this path.

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison

Last edited by Wynnded; Jul 9th, 2012 at 4:23 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode