Hey this only happens to OTHER guys! Stalled on me today! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2012, 9:24 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Hey this only happens to OTHER guys! Stalled on me today!

Was driving home, weather not too hot today, we had that bout of 100+ weather last week, which is unusual for us to top 100 much less 3 days in a row....

So anyways, everything is fine, I was a couple blocks from home and pulled up to a stop sign, and it kills on me, I thought maybe I pulled in the clutch a bit too late before stopping??? Huh....

So I still couldn't believe I would have pulled such a rookie mistake, so I made my turn after restarting the bike, got it going a little and pulled in the clutch and sure as heck it is NOT idling! Running fine but not idling. So went on my way towards home of course, "what else am I going to do". Next stop sign I came up to it stalled again, weird thing is no warning lights came on, except the normal ones that come on when you start the bike, but when it died, there were no warning lights on at all. At that point I have only one short block to go (couple hundred feet), then a left turn and another left into my driveway. Pulled in to my driveway and then it was idling OK, no problems at all.

Just seeing if anyone had ideas for me, will ride it to work again tomorrow and report back.

My used center stand showed up today so will plan on hanging that tomorrow as well.

BTW the bike will have 15K on it by the time I need gas again, it is a 2007

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 8:46 am
Veteran

Gremlins....

You got the new air box on that thing?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 9:30 am
Addict

Hey, I don't want to hear that! My 2007 has never stalled once (yet...) If you have a GS-911 you could look for codes (although not sure you would necessarily see any), but otherwise I think the next order of business is to simply wait and see if it happens again. As Robert said... maybe just gremlins...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 12:54 pm
Enthusiast

Sounds exactly like what was going on with my '10 K1300GT. After fighting all of '10 and most of '11 with the shop and BMW it was finally determined that the software update didn't help and it wasn't due to poor quality fuel. Your local shop should have a service bulletin on this, I'll see if I can get the specifics from my shop, but in the end it was an adjustment to a servo (?) that was slightly out of adjustment, causing the fuel to be cut off.

The symptoms you describe are identical to mine... Driving along without a care in the world, pull in the clutch to down shift and ..... nothing. No warning bells, lights or anything unusual. The shop checked the computer and found no error codes either. It actually feels like someone just turned off the engine. I originally thought it might be the kill switch causing the problem, since there is no sputter or anything when it shuts down. My mechanic was actually at a BMW class during 2011 and they showed them at that time how to make this change. Typically this is one of those things that they tell the shops to NEVER EVER TOUCH UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH. However, in this case, it's what does the job.

So, since purchasing my '10 GT in early 2010...

1. Hot start problem, which they replaced the battery to 'fix' last summer, is now back.
2. Left switchgear failed in 2010. Replaced. No problems since.
3. Stalling for all of 2010 up until 2011 which resulting in one injury. Twisted my knee trying to keep the bike up. No problems since.
4. Cam chain noise. Replaced cam chain and placed guard in 2011. Replaced cam chain and sprocket this year.

I now have a little over 13,000 miles on this bike. It's been back and forth to the shop so much that I don't trust it. My previous bike, an '03 GT I put 60,000 miles on in the last 3 years... This bike has been disappointing. I'm about ready to sell it back to BMW!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 1:32 pm
Addict

On rare occassion this also happend to mine. Usually after an extended time at highway speeds.

I have 44k on my '06. It has been through the usual BMW shop review a few times.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 2:50 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks guys. I had been running it at only "sort of" high speeds, maybe 80ish, but not that long. My usual commute time is in the half-hour range, but if I am in a hurry I can shorten it to 20 minutes or so, yesterday would have been closer to that .
But again not what any of us would consider any real length of time, what's 20 or 30 minutes to a bike like this? Nothin'.

At any rate it acted fine today. The usual service manager must be on vacation but got a reply back from the dealer owner (who I also really trust, he had his start in the BMW shop) and he is recommending trying some fuel injecton cleaner. Now oddly enough, the day before the bike did this (2 days ago) I did top off the fuel, and the station I use I think does have ethanol "in all grades". Ordinarily I would go elsewhere to got premium with no ethanol, but I have an account at this particular station so really easier for me to go to this particular station.
So anyways I will try this to see if it might solve anything, if anyone has a particular brand of injection cleaner they favor I am all ears.
I don't believe the airbox has been done. Reason I am not 100% about it is the bike was a new leftover 07 bought in 08 and they may have done this while the bike was at the dealership before I bought it.
Thanks to all for the replies.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 3:44 pm
Addict

Chevron Techron Concentrate seems to be the most widely recommended.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
I intend to try this. My otherwise normal 07 GT quits once in a while just as discussed. Usually when I'm rolling up to a stop sign. Too often, in my view, to be my fault. I'm beginning to hear that the injectors could be getting a little plugged up.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
+1.

For what it is worth, I've been using it in the last tank full before every oil change. All my fuel has ethonol.

No stalling or idle ussues (270 k km- 1100Rt and 70 k km -07 1200GT)

Worth a try. I just picked some up at a Walmart in the US for $6.50.

Cheers
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 6:46 pm
Rookie

K1300 GT stalling

My 2010 K1300GT has stalled numerous times under a variety of circumstances since I purchased it new. It's been to the dealer several times, the last of which they claim to have fixed it. After the last time to the dealer, I drove it home & haven't ridden it for almost 3 weeks because I just don't feel safe on it, so I don't know if it was fixed. If it's a problem with the fuel, every bike would be having the same problem. Ethanol is a cleaner; how is it ethanol is claimed to gum things up? Dealer said it adjusted throttle bodies & remapped the software, the latter it did every time I took it in (and didn't fix the problem). The work order didn't list any replacement parts or explain of what was done. I am not sure if I will keep it much longer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode