lost aux lights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2012, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

lost aux lights

Lost both sides of the auxillary lights. the ones that go one when the key is turned. I have HID lighting.
Looked for fuse box but cannot find one so far.
what else might cause both lights to to not turn on? I can see one burning out but both at the same time?
Thanks in advace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2012, 5:12 pm
IBR# 366

Those are referred to as Parking Lights.

Are you sure they both stopped at exactly the same time? Or maybe one burned out, and then the other soon thereafter, but before you noticed the first one.

There are no fuses on the CanBus system, so bulbs are still the most likely failure point.

I'd say pull the bulbs and test them for continuity if you have a meter. You can also test the sockets for 12V.

If you don't have a meter, I'd suggest just swapping out both bulbs with new ones. Bulbs are cheap, and it's the simplest troubleshooting solution. And if it works, then you're done.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2012, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Talking

Thanks
Dam that is what i figured .
I was just hoping for an easy fuse fix.
I guess I will have to pull them and check them out.
They look on from the outside lookin in
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2012, 10:38 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Those are referred to as Parking Lights.

Are you sure they both stopped at exactly the same time? Or maybe one burned out, and then the other soon thereafter, but before you noticed the first one.

There are no fuses on the CanBus system, so bulbs are still the most likely failure point.

I'd say pull the bulbs and test them for continuity if you have a meter. You can also test the sockets for 12V.

If you don't have a meter, I'd suggest just swapping out both bulbs with new ones. Bulbs are cheap, and it's the simplest troubleshooting solution. And if it works, then you're done.
I agree with trying replacement bulbs, but wonder if the meter will show the 12 volts if the Canbus does't detect the bulbs? Will it shut off the voltage?

Another question - why isn't there a warning on the panel if the bulb is burned out? Are only certain bulbs on the "warning list"?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:08 pm
IBR# 366

Headlights and tail lights are safety items, so you get bulb out warnings.

Parking lights aren't as critical, so no warnings.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2012, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Talking

Actually there is a warning light and the arrow shows it is the front bulbs.
But it must only come on once both bulbs are burned out, unless they both went at the same time....that is unlikely though.
I probably had one out for a while like Ken suggested then when the other went I got the warning light thinggy .
Ordered some LED replacements, should have them next week.
I have not had time to pull the lights to check them out so I will wait for the new ones.
While I am posting I looked at the repair cd but has anyone here done a quick right up on how to get at them to replace?
Just lazy to look it all up, that is why I like this form
Kevin
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2012, 10:01 am
Veteran

The biggest pita about replacing the bulbs is there's virtually no room to get your hand in the space.

AND...if you're replacing with LED's ....check them after inserting into the socket and before you put them back in place.

They are easy to reverse. (If they don't fire just turn 180 degrees in the socket.) And then if you're a brain dead idiot....like me....you wont spend the next hour or two with a volt meter trying to figure out wtf is wrong. :

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2012, 10:37 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Headlights and tail lights are safety items, so you get bulb out warnings.

Parking lights aren't as critical, so no warnings.
Ah yes, I remember now. One of mine went out and there was no warning light. A week or two after that, the other one failed. The warning appeared only after the second bulb failed. I am not surprised that KGK1200GT's bulbs failed at nearly the same time - that's what happened to mine, too.

I also remember how difficult it was to fit my hands in there to get the bayonet mount turned. The right side was especially challenging.

Removal Hint: Feel the wires to guide your hand to where you unscrew the bayonet mount. It is deeper than you imagine. You will be asking yourself, "How the heck am I supposed to cram my hand in _there_?" If you have very large hands, you might ask a mechanically minded friend with smaller hands to help.

Replacement Hint: It helps to have a friend stand in front of the bike to talk you through aiming the bulb and mount to get it back into the hole. With your hand blocking your view, you can't easily see where you are aiming, but your friend can see it from the front through the hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode