Rick Mayer seat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2012, 7:02 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Rick Mayer seat

So I'm ready to concede, not ready to give up the bike but my ol butt needs more assistance than the stock '10 seat is capably of giving. A recent post included the Rick Mayer seat...anyone got any input? What I like about it is that it looks alot like the stock seat, not an arm chair. Good...bad..neutral?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2012, 12:03 am
IBR# 366

Folks I know that have Rick Mayer seats do like them.

I've heard a few complaints about poor communications with Rick, but he is a one man show, and he's much better at sculpting seats than he is at email/phones.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2012, 9:07 am
Addict

Here's a long ramble on Rick Mayer seats:

Executive Summary: Rick Mayer seats are good, buy one.

Long Boring Version:

I've had a lot of Rick Mayer built seats on BMW's over the years. They work. He dishes out the seat so you sit IN the seat, not on it, but not so much as the "radical" tractor seat like Russell Day Long, which I also had and hated on this bike, but many love them. He also widens the seating area with small wings to add more surface area for your ass. This works well and does not interfere with your legs when stopped like the Russell does (for me anyway).

The seat is almost stock in appearance, unless you want to tart it up with custom finishes,etc. The vinyl covers look as good as leather, and I recommend that over the leather for durability and easy care. The foam layering is very supportive, and after break in mine have always been more comfortable than any stock seats I have had. They hold up well over the years and I always sell them on and recover my investment to buy a new one for a new bike

I rarely experienced any issues with Rick during our transactions. Some have. He gets busy and seems to forget customer service. He did not lower my seat height as requested on my last order (2009 R1200GSA), and it took 4 months to get it, but it was half price. He runs sales during the "off season" so you can save some $$$ if needed.

I would recommend a seat from Rick with only the reservations noted and may get one for my GT which came with a Sargent which looks sexy but is mediocre in comfort in my humble opinion.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2012, 10:05 am
Veteran

There are several similarly priced alternatives to Rick Mayer, and you should take the time to investigate them considering how much money a custom seat costs.

Russell "Day Long"
Bill "Rocky" Mayer
Rick Mayer

The three above all "descend" from Bill Mayer Sr. Rocky and Rick are brothers. Russell bought the internal spring patent from Bill Mayer Sr.

Other choices include:
Corbin
Sergeant
Kontour
Rich's
(There are surely some others I have forgotten - hopefully other members will chime in.)

----------

You can find fans (and detractors) for each. A few are known for slow turnarounds, poor customer service, or poor communications, especially after-sales communications.

Probably the most consistent results among my friends who ride very long distances is the Russell Day Long, which has the internal spring to support the extended flaps for wider support. Some riders do not like the way the more rigid flaps interfere with extending your legs for balance at stops.

I have a Bill "Rocky" Mayer seat, and am very pleased with it.

Most custom seats increase seat height, even if they say they can lower it. If you are already on tippie-toes to keep your bike steady at stops, a custom seat may worsen the issue.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Veteran

I've got one of Rick's seats. Quite happy with it. Did a ride in several years back. Seems like an OK guy if not always punctual. But as Ken said. He's pretty much a solo show and his product is good. Much better than stock.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2012, 4:51 pm
Enthusiast

The previous owner of mine had put a Cee Bailey's on the bike (yes the windscreen company). It seems it bridges the gap between distance comfort and the ability to quickly slide from side to side in the twisties.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesnkc
So I'm ready to concede, not ready to give up the bike but my ol butt needs more assistance than the stock '10 seat is capably of giving. A recent post included the Rick Mayer seat...anyone got any input? What I like about it is that it looks alot like the stock seat, not an arm chair. Good...bad..neutral?
Asking about aftermarket saddles is almost like starting another oil thread. There are many riders that have preferences and dislikes based on very valid reasons. You may want to seek out some riders that have them and have a seat.

I purchased my 91 R100RT with a Corbin "Dual Tour" a king and queen type touring seat that, while comfortable, was not the look I desired. When the vinyl side area started to split I contacted Corbin about repair prices and did not receive a response. I really wanted a more sporting seat so I ordered a Corbin Canyon Dual Sport in leather with piping to match my bike. Great seat that takes some breaking in which is why I suspect may regard the Corbin seats as hard. I've got about 20K on it with no complaints and was able to sell the old seat to another Airhead rider.

My K75S was purchased with a Sargent seat in vinyl which I like as well. I don't have a stock setup to compare it to but it was comfortable enough for a recent 1400 mile weekend and I'm not looking for a replacement.

As with most things personal preference will depend on many factors. Good luck.

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2012, 6:59 pm
Noob

I bought my 2007 GT in Oct. 2009 from a really nice gentleman in SC. It had a Rick Mayer on it. I sent it in to Rick to have it redone to fit me - I am taller and heavier than the previous owner. First owner put 40k miles on the bike and seat. I have put 33k on it. I am very satisfied with it. Rick has lowered his prices and I feel that you get a good seat at a very good value compared to others prices.

Good luck. Seats are kind of like who makes the best oil or tires. I have had Corbin seats and Bill Mayer seats on other BMWs I have owned. The Rick Mayer wins the prize so far.

Mark
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2012, 4:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokester
Asking about aftermarket saddles is almost like starting another oil thread. There are many riders that have preferences and dislikes based on very valid reasons. You may want to seek out some riders that have them and have a seat....
didn't think I asked about saddles n general, just Rick Mayer. thanks to everyone who responded.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2012, 5:28 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesnkc
didn't think I asked about saddles n general, just Rick Mayer. thanks to everyone who responded.
I've got a Rick Mayer on my 1300GT. Some times I love it, some times I hate it. Depends on the mileage. I've been good on it up to about 500 miles, after that, not so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode