BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

2008 K1200GT brake failure light constant now

41K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  lhendrick 
#1 ·
My 2008 K1200GT with ABS has just over 7k miles on it (bought it used last year) and now the brake failure light, which flashes as normal at startup, is staying on constantly. I still have brakes but have read many threads that say this may be ABS module failure.
I can feel a difference in the braking and actually got the real wheel to lock at very low speed in my neighborhood. I have read that it is OK and that you will just not have ABS.. I have also read other horror stories.
I am going to the dealer today.. Just wanted some tips from you to help keep my wallet from being drained.

Help!
Boggsy64

#4 ·
It could be the sensor or the wire to the sensor. If either are bad, it throws the light on all the time. However, I don't know if that would cause the ABS to stop working.

#5 ·
Just heard from the shop and some good news and bad news. They said it was simply a canbus fault that they were able to clear. The good news is that it was not the ABS module the bad news is that they don't know what caused the fault. They said I may have hit a bump and the computer quit for a moment, causing a fault that needed to be cleared.
This doesn't sound right to me but they say it is now working again... keep my fingers crossed. I will talk to the technician myself to get more info.

Boggsy64

#6 ·
Well it wasnt just a canbus fault after all. 5 minutes after leaving the shop the brake failure indicator came back on and constant.
Called the shop back and they don't know what it is. I guess a trip back for more troubleshooting.
I am going to download the service manual and maybe get a GS 911 code reader and diagnose it myself first. I hate to think of the shop hourly rate to find the problem if they couldn't get it with their diagnostic analyzer.

#7 ·
I thought you were being a little optimistic. The easiest thing the dealer can do is 'reset the latched fault code' and you think it has gone away.

What a competent dealer should have done is read the fault code first before clearing it and told you what it was. That is why they are stored. I do not have your later bike, but most real and serious ABS faults disable the ABS completely, yet you posted you were able to still activate the ABS? You may therefore not have the serious ABS problem you think you have.

If I had paid their hourly rate already and it was BMW franchise shop, I would go back and ask to see the scan report they did on the bike and get the fault code before they reset it. If they stupidly reset first without getting the fault code (as serious as a brake fault could be) I would insist they did the first job properly and get them to scan your bike again with no charge.

As you posted the story and as I read it. You took your bike in with a potentially unknown brake fault which should have stored something in diagnostics memory. The shop cleared the fault memory then let you ride off and the brake warning came back on again?

#9 ·
Thanks to all for you input. I have the official shop manual on order and will get it tomorrow. First thing I will check are the pad wear indicators, pads, wiring, and master cylinder levels.
I also bought the gs911 code analyzer and will be able to read and clear my own faults once I get it.
Yes Voxmagna, when the fault come on the ABS goes. I thought (still think) this is terribly irresponsible of BMW to program this way. If at all possible the ABS should work, I don't like the brake fault, but really don't like losing ABS!

Will keep you posted and if there are any more hints let me know!

Thanks

#10 ·
The freakin' brake system is broken! That light says as much. If anything, I'd be lovin' on BMW, not hatin' on 'em - they came up with a "limp home" mode to keep you from kissing a wall at speed because the brakes aren't 100%. :wtf:

#12 ·
Just joined the club
32,000 miles '07Kgt
Solid brake failure light
Starts out flashing goes to solid at 3-4 mph
Friday it goes to the dealer to have the fault codes read
Then parts ordered??? and service date set

A&S shows the module at $1000 (non servo Teve unit, not the FTE servo)
Probably 4 hours to change out, 3 hrs to R&R the plastic and 1 hr to change the part, bleed and clear codes.

Maybe I can go test ride a K16GT or an S1000RR :drool while they do the work.

#13 ·
When mine came on at 12,022 miles, I thought it was something having to do with the recall fix I had done a few weeks prior.

The low quality ABS pump BMW uses cost me $1,889 plus labor!! This is becoming a popular failure so trying to get a spare from the boneyard is next to impossible. Not to mention that there is nothing to prevent the boneyard component from taking a giant dump on you a week after you install it.

#14 · (Edited)
olsaltybastard said:
there is nothing to prevent the boneyard component from taking a giant dump on you a week after you install it.
Or the brand-new BMW component, either . . .

Although I did hear that BMW has dropped the price of the ABS pump closer to $1,000.

#15 ·
Max BMW installed a new one with 2 year warranty on part, and split the bill with me since bike was just out of warranty.

#16 ·
Meese said:
Or the brand-new BMW component, either . . .

Although I did hear that BMW has dropped the price of the ABS pump closer to $1,000.

I am hoping that the dealership will offer some sort of warranty on the new component. No doubt you have had your share of brand new components failing; you have the patience of a Zen master to not have ditched BMW a long time ago.

There is a dark cloud that follows me everywhere I go. The price of the pump was lowered to $1,000 about ten days after I paid full price. It's not the fact that the dealership refused to compensate me (surprise, it's a BMW dealership) which is the source of my irritation, but I cannot get Cape Cod Russet potato chips anymore!! Humanity FINALLY creates a potato chip worth eating, and are discontinued shortly after I discover them. :boom:

#17 ·
Well an update:
Got the GS911 code reader and love it. I hooked it up last night and found two faults both for "ABS pump power supply failure".. not sure if that was the exact wording but both were the same. It also said that the fault was no longer present.
I used the GS911 to clear the faults and even was able to run some testing on the pump and other ABS components.
So far rode to work today and no problems. I am will be going through the service manual next to see if the power supply is separate from the ABS pump or what.
And yes I am glad that I still have brakes when the ABS goes out... just frustrating. I just hope I dont get into more parts and $$$

Highly recommend the GS911 - look it up. A little pricey ($300 for USB version, $400 for blue tooth version) but after a few avoided visits to the shop it will pay for itself.

#18 ·
Brake Failure Light

Took my 07 K1200 GT in to dealer today, 18,000 miles, the BFL is on constantly. They called and the light was out when they moved it, called me back later when moving the bike for me to pick it up, the light is on and stays on. The initial visit cost $90 to have then look at it, they wanted to know if I wanted to spend the money right now to take off the body panels and look at either a bad connection or if it needs a new ABS module, the cost being $1747 just for the part, I was laid off last week, no money at this time, have many of you had to replace the whole module- only 18,000 miles, street driven only?????

#20 ·
robert said:
Took my 07 K1200 GT in to dealer today, 18,000 miles, the BFL is on constantly. They called and the light was out when they moved it, called me back later when moving the bike for me to pick it up, the light is on and stays on. The initial visit cost $90 to have then look at it, they wanted to know if I wanted to spend the money right now to take off the body panels and look at either a bad connection or if it needs a new ABS module, the cost being $1747 just for the part, I was laid off last week, no money at this time, have many of you had to replace the whole module- only 18,000 miles, street driven only?????
though these bike's have their quirks ,the abs going out on them that soon is un common but not impossible..

#21 ·
There are people rebuilding/repairing the ABS modules, especially the electrical side of the unit, which seems to be the major failure point of the K bikes. Very reasonable costs (a few hundred $) compared to replacement by BMW. I will try to get a link to the information for you, as I recall it was over on the AdvRider site where I waste time on my R1200GSA.

#22 ·
I haven't found a big price break yet on the ABS unit. MAX, and A&S as well, shows this:

34 51 7 698 296 PRESSURE MODULATOR, PARTIAL INTEGRAL ABS (to 08/06) $2,286.81

I believe it was around $2,800 a while back, so maybe it is $500 cheaper. Still outrageous though. I'll await for a rebuild at that price once we find out who the ABS rebulder is. That or donate it to Goodwill and take the write-off and let someone else deal with it.

Unfortunately, BMW ownership comes at a very high price and downtime for their issues and quirks. Even among their cars which is very rare to see one on the road more than 7-8 years old (One of my riding pastimes, fwiw.). Cheaper to find and fix an old Ford Model T than a recent BMW (friend's going through that scenario now.).

Mack (Luckily not looking for a ABS unit right now.)

#23 ·
It was suggested to enter a vehicle complaint with NHSTA regarding the ABS module failure.
Looking at the number of failures mentioned on this board and other boards (different individuals not just names but locations) indicate this is an unacceptable failure rate of a safety item. Maybe we'll get lucky and NHSTA will decide this is a recall item and we get it fixed or reimbursed for already fixing it by BMW.
I am not holding my breath, but if it happens I will go buy lottery tickets

#24 ·
WELLLL CRRRRRAP !

Add me to the list :boom: 08 with only 12k miles..

..I was in WVA all weekend, just got back,,, BFL light came on Saturday after pulling away from the gas pump and going 30 yards to the Hardees next door. Went in, ate, fired bike up to leave (still on). I checked the brakes in the parking lot and was able to lock them up. Drove about 80 miles, stopped and got some beer. Light went off when I fired it up to leave...was still off when I got to camp (20 miles later. This morning after about 20 miles (right as I hit a gravel repair patch) it came back on. I got to a red light and shut the bike off and refired it..light stayed off.....light came back on after 10 miles and stayed on the through the last 300 miles (including gas/food stops).

#25 ·
Well I was able to get the light to go back into flashing/diagostic mode by cycling the ignition on/off 3 times :confused: . However, I haven't taken it back out on the road yet. I have a GS-911 headed to me in the mail so I'll see what it has to say...

#26 ·
moymurfs said:
Well I was able to get the light to go back into flashing/diagostic mode by cycling the ignition on/off 3 times :confused: . However, I haven't taken it back out on the road yet. I have a GS-911 headed to me in the mail so I'll see what it has to say...

With GS911 I expect you may see a code and message for low voltage on ABS power supply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.