2008 K1200GT brake failure light constant now - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 6:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

2008 K1200GT brake failure light constant now

My 2008 K1200GT with ABS has just over 7k miles on it (bought it used last year) and now the brake failure light, which flashes as normal at startup, is staying on constantly. I still have brakes but have read many threads that say this may be ABS module failure.
I can feel a difference in the braking and actually got the real wheel to lock at very low speed in my neighborhood. I have read that it is OK and that you will just not have ABS.. I have also read other horror stories.
I am going to the dealer today.. Just wanted some tips from you to help keep my wallet from being drained.

Help!
Boggsy64
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 7:41 am
Addict

it could also mean that you just need brake pads ...good luck on the outcome..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 8:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

Lets hope so, got so used to the ABS, just locked up the rear turning into the dealer lot. Luckily no car in the other lane as I overshot the ingoing lane and into the outgoing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 1:55 pm
Addict

It could be the sensor or the wire to the sensor. If either are bad, it throws the light on all the time. However, I don't know if that would cause the ABS to stop working.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2012, 3:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Just heard from the shop and some good news and bad news. They said it was simply a canbus fault that they were able to clear. The good news is that it was not the ABS module the bad news is that they don't know what caused the fault. They said I may have hit a bump and the computer quit for a moment, causing a fault that needed to be cleared.
This doesn't sound right to me but they say it is now working again... keep my fingers crossed. I will talk to the technician myself to get more info.

Boggsy64
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2012, 8:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

Well it wasnt just a canbus fault after all. 5 minutes after leaving the shop the brake failure indicator came back on and constant.
Called the shop back and they don't know what it is. I guess a trip back for more troubleshooting.
I am going to download the service manual and maybe get a GS 911 code reader and diagnose it myself first. I hate to think of the shop hourly rate to find the problem if they couldn't get it with their diagnostic analyzer.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2012, 3:47 pm
Addict

I thought you were being a little optimistic. The easiest thing the dealer can do is 'reset the latched fault code' and you think it has gone away.

What a competent dealer should have done is read the fault code first before clearing it and told you what it was. That is why they are stored. I do not have your later bike, but most real and serious ABS faults disable the ABS completely, yet you posted you were able to still activate the ABS? You may therefore not have the serious ABS problem you think you have.

If I had paid their hourly rate already and it was BMW franchise shop, I would go back and ask to see the scan report they did on the bike and get the fault code before they reset it. If they stupidly reset first without getting the fault code (as serious as a brake fault could be) I would insist they did the first job properly and get them to scan your bike again with no charge.

As you posted the story and as I read it. You took your bike in with a potentially unknown brake fault which should have stored something in diagnostics memory. The shop cleared the fault memory then let you ride off and the brake warning came back on again?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 7:22 am
Addict

For what it's worth, my brake failure light came on when I hit a pot hole. Turned out to be a pinched wire to the sensor.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2012, 12:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks to all for you input. I have the official shop manual on order and will get it tomorrow. First thing I will check are the pad wear indicators, pads, wiring, and master cylinder levels.
I also bought the gs911 code analyzer and will be able to read and clear my own faults once I get it.
Yes Voxmagna, when the fault come on the ABS goes. I thought (still think) this is terribly irresponsible of BMW to program this way. If at all possible the ABS should work, I don't like the brake fault, but really don't like losing ABS!

Will keep you posted and if there are any more hints let me know!

Thanks
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2012, 8:12 pm
Addict

The freakin' brake system is broken! That light says as much. If anything, I'd be lovin' on BMW, not hatin' on 'em - they came up with a "limp home" mode to keep you from kissing a wall at speed because the brakes aren't 100%.

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode