08 K12GT final drive FAILURE - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2012, 11:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

08 K12GT final drive FAILURE

I may be the only one to experience this BUT my FD failed @ 39600 miles 7 months out of warranty June '12. Oil all over rear wheel by the time I feel grinding in rear drive. BMW won't reimburse.
anyone else have FD failure on the newer slant engine K12 GT?
answer here or PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 1:13 am
IBR# 366

I've had two final drive failures on my '07 K1200GT, both out of warranty on miles, but not time.

The first was at 63K miles, while on a cross-country trip. I paid the entire repair out of pocket (close to $2,000), then later BMW NA reimbursed me for just the cost of the part as a goodwill gesture. I still had to cover labor, supplies, etc., and whatever towing and trip interruption expenses I had incurred.

The second was 3 months and 10K miles later. I was at home when I caught it, and my local dealer takes great care of me. Plus it was the new drive they had just installed that failed so they replaced it all, no argument and no charge at all.

It sucks that this still happens on these bikes. And it sucks even more that BMW NA doesn't automatically step up to the plate and take care of it.

If you have a great relationship with your dealer, they can usually go to bat for you and get some consideration pushed through, especially if you're still close to the warranty limits. And if not, then it's a very expensive replacement . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 7:20 am
Addict

Mine went out on my '06 at about 60K. My extended warranty took care of all of it. I was never a believer in extended warranties, but I am now!

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 6:43 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
....... I was never a believer in extended warranties, but I am now!
For BMW, "YES" get the extended warranty. Their stuff just doesn't seem to last long. I keep looking for a 10 year old BMW car, Mercedes too, on the road and they are very rare. Maybe they to get too expensive in maintenance issues to keep as a car once paid off?

I'm sort of worried that my S1000RR goes off warranty next year. Some engines have failed since day one. I plan to get the valves checked prior to it going off warranty even if the mileage is too low as some cams have worn down early, and some as low as 600 miles. May as well get it checked and adjusted, and maybe replaced too, just to see how they wear prior to it going off warranty. Their connecting rod issue, even recently on all of the 2012 models they recalled and stopped selling for a while, has been enough. So far so good with it other than one minor recall that I did myself on some vent hose. Really is a fun little bike in that it weighs very little. One guy managed to do a SS 1000+ Iron Butt on one and did 1,186 miles in 24 hours, but those people are mentally sick too.

"BMW. The Ultimate 'has been' driven machine."

Mack
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 10:07 am
Addict

Yeah, normally I wouldn't recommend an extended warranty because most of the time they don't end up being cost effective. My single exception is for BMW slant-K bikes where the equation reverses and you have reasonably high odds of coming out ahead, sometimes far ahead. Pretty sad state of affairs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 5:28 pm

My 2007 K1200GT extended warranty cost $1200 and paid out over $10K in the 88,000 miles I owned the bike. I sold the bike and transferred the warranty so they will have to keep paying for a couple more years. The final drive was one of the items that did not need service while I had it. However my 06 K1200S ate the final drive at 45.000 miles-WHICH IS WHY I BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY WHEN I TRADED IT ON THE GT!!!

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 7:10 pm
Addict

warranty's are good for any mfgr's machine ,i know that 30 to 40-k mile's on the odometrer on a bike are a hell of alot differant than 40-k in a car ,everyone here that has had failure's in everything from batteries to driveline's to cam chain and some with very high mile's and still get it coverd and fixed but yet still diss the maker ,well i've been riding for over 4 decade's and dont see too many mfgr's (motorcycle's) running flawlessly with 80 to 100-k on the clock still running around other than beemers ,
i would even say that 50-k on the clock of any motorcycle would be the equivalent of 100-k on an auto ,so shit's going to break ,just my 2 cents

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 8:55 pm
IBR# 366

Extended warranties are only good if the warranty company actually pays out.

If they simply deny all coverage and refuse to pay for anything, then you're not only out the cost of repairs, but also the cost of the warranty itself . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Extended warranties are only good if the warranty company actually pays out.

If they simply deny all coverage and refuse to pay for anything, then you're not only out the cost of repairs, but also the cost of the warranty itself . . .
And that begs the question, "Which aftermarket warranty company is the best?" Also, my local dealer can't sell me an extended warranty since I bought my GT from a private owner (who was consigning it at the BMW shop) and I have no idea if any reputable company would even sell a warranty to cover my bike...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 7:03 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBite
And that begs the question, "Which aftermarket warranty company is the best?" Also, my local dealer can't sell me an extended warranty since I bought my GT from a private owner (who was consigning it at the BMW shop) and I have no idea if any reputable company would even sell a warranty to cover my bike...
I have Interstate Star and have been very pleased with them.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode