Cam Chain Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 10:14 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Cam Chain Question

My 2009 K1300 GT has had the so-called "box of rocks" noise at start up for a while including a start up at the Chief Joseph Rally that literally turned heads in the parking area. The noise does not happen every time my bike has been idle for a period of time, but when it does it usually lasts a few seconds until the pressure builds up and then is not noticeable. A few days ago I noticed the same start up noise, but after that subsided there was a residual noise sounding like a sticky lifter on an automobile or like a chain slapping against another surface. The noise accelerated with more throttle, but remained. BTW I installed the cam chain jump guard some months ago. I haven't started my bike up yet, but have made an appointment at a local BMW dealer to look it over. I'm thinking a failed tensioner or a stretched chain? I'd appreciate any thoughts you all might have. Thanks in advance.

Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 3:52 pm
Addict

If you have a 1300 making any significant cam chain noise then something is wrong and I wouldn't ride the bike until it is resolved. The jump guard is a last ditch measure to cover transient events and is not intended to (and won't) protect against a consistent tensioner malfunction.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 7:30 pm
Addict

shut her down and get her looked at...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2012, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the feedback. I have not moved the bike since discovering the noise. I have reserved a trailer to take it to a dealer next Wednesday. I'm lucky to get it in since most dealers are covered up weeks in advance this time of year. Thanks.

Denny
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 9:20 am
Veteran

You could always get and APE tensioner and install it yourself. Takes very little time. If it fixes it you won't have to wait for the dealer.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Robert. I considered that, but my extended warranty company won't commit that the after market APE manual tensioner wouldn't void my warranty.

Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
You could always get and APE tensioner and install it yourself. Takes very little time. If it fixes it you won't have to wait for the dealer.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 5:42 pm
Noob

MIne only does it in cold weather ????? go figure

IBA # 33267

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2012, 8:12 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackPug
MIne only does it in cold weather ????? go figure
That's not too surprising. A likely cause for tensioner issues is the piston sticking in the bore (possibly due to contaminants but more likely due to poor manufacturing tolerances) and if the fit is too tight you could well see more problems when it is colder.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 7:33 pm

APE tensioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
Thanks, Robert. I considered that, but my extended warranty company won't commit that the after market APE manual tensioner wouldn't void my warranty.

Denny
That is a conundrum. The APE tensioner is a great part, but because it is aftermarket the warranty company won't cover it.

I normally don't say stuff like this, but I think you should install the tensioner and keep the original close by in case the bike ever has to go in for repair..The APE unit clearly solves the issue of a loose cam chain at start up. I installed one an that was the last of the box of rocks noises. It is a quick, easy swap and I firmly believe that it would not cause damage.

Jeff

06 K12GT DGM - Bavarian 'Bahn Burner
08 X6 Sapphire Black - The Batmobile
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:42 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
That's not too surprising. A likely cause for tensioner issues is the piston sticking in the bore (possibly due to contaminants but more likely due to poor manufacturing tolerances) and if the fit is too tight you could well see more problems when it is colder.
not to get off topic but this is very true of g.m ls motors ,i know because i had a trailblazer ss with the ls2 the truck was tuned and i drove the crap out of it with no motor issue's at all ,even had the gto before that with the ls1 and had the same issue but was very slight ,some g.m dealers refferd the this as piston slap and is quite normal in big horse power motors at least from g.m anyway dont believe it's a poor tolerance and has never been a dependability issue ,but then again thats an entirely differant motor just thought i'de bring up the simularities...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode