Post APE Installation Results - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2012, 5:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Looking For Post APE Installation Results

I'd like to find out from those of you who have installed the APE Pro Series Manual Cam Chain Tensioner what you've noticed. I have a 2007 GT and am curious what the status is with this improvement to your bike.
1) Are you happy with the reduction of noise at startup?
2) Is it running quieter overall?
3) Have you noticed any reduction in vibration?
4) Have you had the need to readjust the tension?
Thanks!

Last edited by ItsPhilD; Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:06 pm. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2012, 7:46 am
Enthusiast

1) Yes

2) The same - (It has always been quiet)

3) No. Didn't notice any to begin with.

4) Yes, but not due to the APE. After the install and getting the engine hot It needed to be snugged down a tad more due to the chain expanding

Last edited by moymurfs; Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:52 pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2012, 9:34 am
Addict

I'll be doing #4 also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2012, 10:23 am
Addict

I don't think the manual tensioner could make much difference in terms of noise on my bike (and apparently many others judging from a prior thread) because since upgrading the auto tensioner I hear zero startup noise, nor do I hear any noticeable noise while running. I might install the manual tensioner one day (still deciding) but if I do it will be solely to prevent the possibility of a chain jump because I don't think that manual tensioner really has any other advantage. Or putting it another way, a properly working current-revision auto tensioner should result in a 100% quiet chain. If it doesn't you likely have some other problem at work such as a sticking tensioner or stretched chain.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2012, 1:07 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
I don't think the manual tensioner could make much difference in terms of noise on my bike (and apparently many others judging from a prior thread) because since upgrading the auto tensioner I hear zero startup noise, nor do I hear any noticeable noise while running. I might install the manual tensioner one day (still deciding) but if I do it will be solely to prevent the possibility of a chain jump because I don't think that manual tensioner really has any other advantage. Or putting it another way, a properly working current-revision auto tensioner should result in a 100% quiet chain. If it doesn't you likely have some other problem at work such as a sticking tensioner or stretched chain.

I agree, for me it was solely a "preempive strike" to avoid any issues , or worse...a trip to my local dealer ($$$$). Since there are cases for both the old (what my 08 still had) as well as the newer, redesigned cam tensioners failing, I elected to remove them from the equation alltogether. 98 bucks (APE and Jump Guard) and 45 mins....vs the alternative?......it speaks for itself.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPhilD
I'd like to find out from those of you who have installed the APE Pro Series Manual Cam Chain Tensioner what you've noticed. I have a 2007 GT and am curious what the status is with this improvement to your bike.
1) Are you happy with the reduction of noise at startup?
2) Is it running quieter overall?
3) Have you noticed any reduction in vibration?
4) Have you had the need to readjust the tension?
Thanks!
1) Definitely; and no more nightmares about exploding motors.
2) Still so quiet it can't be heard. Stealth speed.
3) Never had any
4) Nope, but after 4k miles I should probably should check it

06 K12GT DGM - Bavarian 'Bahn Burner
08 X6 Sapphire Black - The Batmobile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode