Slip-on Exhaust - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2012, 6:12 am Thread Starter

Slip-on Exhaust

In my quest for modifying (which I don't do much of) I have been looking and pricing slip-on exhausts. Of course each brand has a different tone/sound to it. As I do enjoy the quiet of the stock exhaust I'm interested in a slip-on that isn't too loud.

I ran across a deal for a Leo Vince Oval Evo II (brand new) for $286.18, normally $349.99.

With slip-ons comes issues sometimes with fueling and other things. Would it be prudent to also upgrade the air filter to allow better breathing and a PCIII? I've also heard the PCIII will take care of the dead spot when you roll on the throttle and get nothing for about 1-2 seconds.

Just opinions and advice. When I had a Yamaha FZ6 it had LV exhaust (without inserts) that was way too loud so I switched it back to the stock exhaust. Different bike, I know. I'm not in this for the noise but for looks and great tone. I don't want my bike to sound ricey.

Dave
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2012, 10:05 am
Rookie

I put a Remus slip-on on my 07 K12 and love it. I didn't do anything else. I made no other changes and don't feel that I need to.

What options are even available for upgrading the air filter? Are you talking K&N? There is the Evoluzione, but that is discontinued.

I am interested in getting ride of the deadspot/lag you speak of. I am keenly aware of it, and can usually avoid it by simply keeping the RPMs above 4500.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2012, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

From what I've read on several forums the lag is there on just about every K12GT. I've also read the a PCIII will get rid of it with a custom tune. No tune from BMW or a dealer will get rid of it. Also a booster plug or similar seems to work too if you want to go that route.

Remus is nice exhaust, can't find any for under $550 unless used & damaged. I'll keep looking.

Dave
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2012, 5:35 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Pipe does not help the flat spot at about 3000 -/+ rpm on the 06/07/08s
Power Commander, Booster Plug or Power FRK cures that. So does keeping the rpms above that spot

I did the Power FRK, the Booster Plug was not yet available, naturally it became available after I sent the money

Local Power Commander guy didn't think it would work with the GT, it worked with the S & R (he said different ECU parameters, different cams??). It does work!!

Leo Vince pipe is nice with the insert, not loud but authoritive, and you don't have to touch the exhaust to change a tire.

If you put a pipe on, replace the O2 sensor with a new one and add either the Booster Plug or Power Commander

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2012, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840
If you put a pipe on, replace the O2 sensor with a new one and add either the Booster Plug or Power Commander
Those are pretty much my thoughts. Thanks for all the info. I found a guy about 3.5 hours away selling a Two Brothers M2 Carbon Fiber for $250 (used, on Craigslist) off an '08 K12GT. Listened to a YouTube of one, audio wasn't too great on the video. Might hit him up for it since it's CF. Don't know if it has an insert.

Dave
2008 K1200GT
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2012, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Just paid for a Booster Plug ($149). Not one complaint about them not working so am pretty excited about getting rid of the hesitation. Still haven't pulled the trigger on an exhaust.

Dave
2008 K1200GT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Hello,

I have the Akrapovic slip on my bike and the sound is (for me) just right. I kept the inserts in. It purrs just right when cruising along and barks out when the revs gets high. I wish I could erase the big lettering. It may draw unwanted attention and without the lettering the pipe looks oem.

I also have the Booster Plug that I still have to install. From what I've read on it, I should find the time to install it.

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2012, 1:54 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Find the time to install the booster plug.
You will be more than satisfied on how it runs in that 2600 to 3200 RPM range when you are too lazy to shift and just want to accelerate - no lag, no stumble.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2012, 7:56 pm
Noob

Booster Plug

Sorry to be so stupid but what is the booster plug and where is it on the bike, the hesitation on my 07 GT is terrible also, if there is a remedy I would like to try that, does the dealer have to install it or can a novice do it??
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2012, 2:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert
Sorry to be so stupid but what is the booster plug and where is it on the bike, the hesitation on my 07 GT is terrible also, if there is a remedy I would like to try that, does the dealer have to install it or can a novice do it??
http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html

It's an aftermarket piece that plugs into your existing wiring. You do have to partially disassemble your bike (fairing and gas tank) but lots of people have done it on their own. I plan to do it myself after it arrives.

The K1200's are twitchy down around 2,500 to 3,200 RPM range due to the bikes running lean (from the factory). This piece fools the computer into thinking it's running more lean than it is so it sends more fuel to the combustion chamber. In a nutshell that almost completely eliminates the low RPM snatchy throttle. For many it also helps increase fuel mileage. The bikes run smoother and are easier around town at slower speeds.

Dave
2008 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode