Can you sell these bikes? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2012, 4:59 pm Thread Starter
DrD

Can you sell these bikes?

I am seriously considering selling my '08 K1200GT. Up to last fall I thought I would keep it for a long time, so I bought the Zurich extended warranty. This summer I realized I will not be riding the long distances that makes keeping this bike worthwhile. For 150 miles, or less, my '10 S1000RR does fine. ( )

So I ride to the local dealership to ask what the market is like, if they would take the bike in on commission, trade in value, etc. If anything, the sales manager is straightforward: He had no interest in the bike at all. He has three of them that aren't finding any interest. Owners of K1X00GT's are trading them in for the K1600GT(L) and the owners of the K1X00S's are trading them in for the S1000RR.

Is there a market for the K1200GT?

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2012, 5:33 pm
Addict

I think so.

Although I like the new 1600 I prefer the size of our GTs. The size of the proverbial two wheel Buick doesn't interest me at all until I'm forced on to it.

I'm sure there are others like me out there. I'd buy it again if I knew the faults were fixed. But since BMW dropped the version that would mean buying used or NOS.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2012, 6:44 pm
Veteran

eBay is a great way to tell. Search for what you want to find out about, then hit "advanced search" then check the box to search completed auctions. make sure you are searching in the motorcycle category.

In general you can sell them, but typically not for really big bucks, maybe in the $6000-$8000 range.
See if this link works for you:
http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.co...&_udhi=&_udlo=

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2012, 9:05 pm
Addict

Slow market on these bikes, not sure why, probably just because there are so many of them out there. When I bought mine I thought I got a good deal (maybe it was at the time, but times change) at less than half the new price but now you can't get even close to that for them. Doesn't bother me since when I buy a bike I ride it into the ground but wow, if I've learned anything about BMW bikes over the years it's never to buy new as the depreciation is incredible.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2012, 9:23 am
Enthusiast

Yikes ! kust looking at the IBMWR marketplace you would make the 3rd private GT for sale right there in that whole northern VA gaggle.... It is definately a buyers market for any used bike, hence the reason I picked up my 08. When I was looking there was a low mileage 07 that included full gear (my size), & 2 helmets and a rear BMW topcase. Ironically, it was up in Quantico. It lasted about 2 weeks, but was advertised pretty low below book, not sure what it finally sold for. So the bottom line...you either wait for someone with more money than sense.. or make a deal too good to resist.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2012, 6:12 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
... you either wait for someone with more money than sense..
Luckily, that defines a lot of BMW owners...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2012, 8:44 pm Thread Starter
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Luckily, that defines a lot of BMW owners...
+1,000!

Me, too!!

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2012, 9:33 pm
Addict

mite be a regional thing also ,mine and the few they had at the dealer seemed to have vanished ,not sure what they sold for ,i'm sure not a killing but then again who's selling anything for a killing anymore...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2012, 4:34 pm
Addict

I have never purchased a NEW bike. All have been used. I look for a year old version that the PO had farkled up.

Then I ride them for years.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2012, 5:14 pm Thread Starter
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
I have never purchased a NEW bike. All have been used. I look for a year old version that the PO had farkled up.

Then I ride them for years.
Or, you wait for the last model year. I bought my K1200GT for some 15% off MSRP because the dealership was clearing the last few out before the K1300GTs started arriving.

With my S1000RR, I am the third owner and the bike only had 750 miles on it when I bought it last August. It now has 2,500 miles on it and I don't plan on selling it. This bike is a hoot to ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode