'06 KGT stalling at speed woes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2012, 8:40 am Thread Starter
Noob

Angry '06 KGT stalling at speed woes

I've read up on all the stalling issues mostly related to low-speed, in-town riding and how it was fixed by a new airbox. However, my KGT seems to have developed a stalling problem while at speed with the cruise on or as I start to roll on the throttle it'll hesitate and die. I've been using either Shell or BP premium gas and have run a few bottles of injector cleaner through a few tanks, but I don't think the injectors are necessarily the problem. The bike idles and does low speeds just fine. But from 60mph and up, I'll intermittently have the stalling problem. I've almost been hit from behind during the stalls.

Additional information: just purchased with a little over 24k on the clock. Dealer stated all recalls/TSB were up-to-date and performed a 24k service. The problem didn't rear its ugly head until 25.5k or so and now I'm at 26k. It doesn't seem to stall in the morning when its cooler and I have issues typically in the afternoons and evenings when its warmer out (80į +). I have noticed that the lights had been flickering while using turn signals at night - I've found this to be an issue with low/dead batteries, but I don't have a solid battery light on (it does intermittently come on at start-up and stay on until I blip the throttle).

Any suggestions for this newb? I'm hoping someone has had the same problem and can help me out. I don't want to go to the dealer with my new-to-me bike and get poked in the rear.

Regarding hi-viz gear: "It's better to be seen and laughed at than not to be seen and cried over."

"Every motorcyclist starts out with a bag full luck and a empty bag of skill. The trick is to fill your bag with skill before you bag of luck runs out."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2012, 7:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Update

So on my ride home from work today I had to limp along at about 45-50mph - any attempt to go faster and the bike would go into limp mode until it returned to 45mph. I attempted a WOT run and the engine started to cut at 6k, then went to 8k but wouldn't give anymore juice.

Regarding hi-viz gear: "It's better to be seen and laughed at than not to be seen and cried over."

"Every motorcyclist starts out with a bag full luck and a empty bag of skill. The trick is to fill your bag with skill before you bag of luck runs out."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2012, 1:23 am
Enthusiast

Difficult, could be so many things. My 1300GT had a similar issue in that I couldnt accelerate, but mine would also cut out occasionally when Idling. The dealer replaced a coil pack to start with but then had to replace the Oxygen sensor too. Thing is my bike was still under warranty so had to be fixed by dealer. Could prove expensive for you to try, sorry cant help more.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2012, 8:52 am
Veteran

So just how old is the battery? Also, if I remember correctly the air box was never an official "recall" item...maybe it was...it was years ago. But if you're having troubles only when it gets hot that would be a very good place to start.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2012, 9:34 am Thread Starter
Noob

I'm unsure of how old the battery is. I checked last night and while idling, I'm getting 12.6V.

I would agree that there may be a heat issue - but I find it very odd that the bike only seems to have a problem in the upper rpm ranges and at speeds greater than 50mph. I checked to make sure I wasn't getting any vapor lock as has been reported (no evidence of it when opening the filler cap). I'll check and see if possibly the crank sensor is going bad but otherwise, I think it'll be going to the dealer

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2012, 8:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation

UPDATE: Consulted the dealer before physically taking it in. They reiterated how much fuel containing ethanol can cause issues with this bike and recommended not to go anywhere else but Mobil or Shell (Tons of BP's, Marathon's, and Speedway's, but apparently there gas is not recommended [and I've been using it]). Said to ride the tank out, fill with Mobil or Shell gas and put some BMW fuel system cleaner in for the first two tanks and once every 3k miles.

I did this and have yet to have a stall issue since using the new fuel and cleaner but have had some slight hesitation (I'll take that over stalling). Is this bike THAT susceptible to issues related to ethanol? I've read a little about here and elsewhere, but geez! I'll post another update if it doesn't ultimately solve the problem...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2012, 8:34 am
Addict

swap out that battery also especially if your not sure on the age ,when i did mine ,everything just seemed better good luck

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode