Cruise control diagnosis - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2012, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Cruise control diagnosis

My cruise control no longer works...
('08 GT)
It was intermittent at first, now it doesn't work at all.
I'm still covered under an extended warranty, but I'm the type that wants to know what's going on before taking it in.
So...here are my symptoms:

Turn switch on, red light is on. Try to set it, and get nothing (no "SET" light on dash).
Previously I was able to switch it off and on and get it working.
I've checked the clutch switch, and it appears to be working properly. Also, the SET light illuminates during the startup check.

Is there a procedure that anyone knows of that can pinpoint the problem? I know that the switch is the most likely culprit, but that red light has me wondering if it's the cruise module that's having trouble.
I'm going to have it repaired under warranty, but I want to be armed with info beforehand.
All other switches also appear to be operating normally (brake switches, both clutch switches, etc.) and when the cruise does work, it also disengages when rolling off the throttle.
I initially thought my clutch lever switch might be out of adjustment (or failed) because I had installed a set of Synto brake and clutch levers, and getting the switches adjusted was kinda tough. So that's the first thing I checked, but not with a meter because I didn't want to take all the plastic off...so I'm just listening for the click to make sure it's adjusted right.

If the first clutch switch is failing, what other indications would I get (if any)?
And, if the red LED is lit on the cruise switch, is it still possible for the cruise switch to be bad?

I'd like to pinpoint the issue if possible. I have a day off, and am considering opening her up to check all of the switches with a meter.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks folks...

EDIT TO ADD:
During the time I was fiddling with the new levers, my GS-911 would report a clutch switch failure. I do not currently have this fault when diagnosing. However, I think the fault only occurs if the 2nd switch is out of adjustment (lever fully pulled)...but I'm not 100% sure about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2012, 2:54 pm
Addict

For what it's worth, mine is doing exactly the same thing. I wish I knew where the problem is.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2012, 4:13 pm
Rookie

I'll bet it is the switch gear, left side. My 1300 gt experienced the same thing. Have the dealer test and replace.

McWideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2012, 7:34 pm
Telepathetic

My cruise control pretty much stopped working last summer while riding to AZ. I could fiddle with the switch and it would sometimes work for 30 minutes or so. No fault codes. It was strange that when I got back to the NW the cruise worked. The dealer replaced the cables and I haven't had a problem with my cruise since. The explanation I got was my original cables would stretch just enough in the heat of SoCal and AZ to effect the cruise. I have had no problem since while riding in WA or AZ.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2012, 11:01 pm
Rookie

I had the same problem last year and I think there is a thread here on the same subject. My problem was that that the toggle switch simply wore out and was replaced under warranty.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2012, 11:09 pm

'07 Kgt

I would set my cruise and then it would shut off at random times (last fall.) Then the time between failure got less and less. At one point I happened to be looking at the red light and saw it go off and the cruise disengage. I then tried holding the on/off button in the On position and no failure after that. We were in the middle of a long trip. I needed the cruise to work and my thumb got tired of keeping pressure on the switch so my wife suggested a rubber band to hold the on/off switch in the On position. It seems my switch is not holding the contacts inside the switch well enough to maintain current flow even though it was in the On position. The rubber band works very well. Eventually I'll get around to fixing it...

Remember, your temporary better be good 'cause it'll probably be permanent.

2016 R1200 GSA, 2007 K1200 GT, 1981 CBX, 1975 Norton, 1968 Moto Guzzi
The Banks Tour - Fair to Outer
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 7:05 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwideglide
I'll bet it is the switch gear, left side. My 1300 gt experienced the same thing. Have the dealer test and replace.
Switch gear on the handlebar?

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 9:33 am
Enthusiast

I dont have cruise on my K1300GT, but my electric screen has packed up and the dealer is having it iin next week, he has ordered a left switch cluster in advance as he says its quite common for the switch cluster to fail, at one point my screen would stay up if I held the button in but its totally gone now.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2012, 11:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-K
I dont have cruise on my K1300GT, but my electric screen has packed up and the dealer is having it iin next week, he has ordered a left switch cluster in advance as he says its quite common for the switch cluster to fail, at one point my screen would stay up if I held the button in but its totally gone now.
It's common on the 13's to have failed switch gear (read any forum on K13's). It was redesigned for them but possibly by engineers with a degree from Primate University.

Dave
2008 K1200GT
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2012, 1:15 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowbee
It's common on the 13's to have failed switch gear (read any forum on K13's). It was redesigned for them but possibly by engineers with a degree from Primate University.

New switch installed now, typically, the day I took it in it started working again, but fair play to the dealer he swapped it out anyway saying they had replaced quite a few, in fact more on the R1200RT's than the K bikes. new switch actually feels totally different to then old one, much more positive action.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode