Extended warranty? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2012, 8:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

Extended warranty?

I want to know what you guys think and know about a extended warranty for the 2010 GT13,
Is it worth it?
How much?

The warranty on my 2010 will be due on 02/13

Any advices, experiences?

Thank you

Damian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2012, 6:45 pm
Noob

you see it useless now, but it is one hell of a tool for your bike I wish I had mine
Tony

2007 BMW K1200GT Love my Big Mexican Woman but very high maintenance.
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 RIP one Fast Jap Riceburner too deadly crash and total.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Rookie

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties but I really wish I had one on my 08 1200...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

www.talonsky.com

'08 K1200GT
'04 1150 GS w/ ADV Tank
'05 F650 GS (My Wife's)
'00 Yamaha Drag Star 1100 (Sold, When I lived in Japan)
'94 Yamaha 400 Virago (Wife's, sold)
'83 Gold Wing (Sold)
'80 GSXR 400 (Sold, From when I lived in Japan in the 80's)
'83 Yamaha Maxium 550 (I got that one brand new from the dealer, Gave it to my best friend when I joined the Air Force)
'71 Yamaha LT 100 (Rode to death!)
[/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2012, 5:03 pm
Noob

I purchased a 2009 K1300GT last April, the warranty was up in May. An extended warranty isn't available in Canada through BMW. I sure would be interested if an outside firm offers it though....
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 9:32 am
Veteran

I bought one after the cluster f#$k that I went through. Haven't used it once! Of coarse after the second engine rebuild you'd figure it was good to go for a while!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 6:57 am

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
I pay £300 (UK) per year for mine with Emergency Assist (breakdown cover) on a 2007 K12GT and it always seems a lot of money at the time - I choose mine with a voluntary excess of £100.

That was until 2 weeks ago - rode the bike for my weekly 100 mile jaunt to Dublin from Belfast. Parked outside the garage, went into the house, dumped my gear and then came back out to ride the bike into the garage. Bike wouldn't even turn over, just a click sound. Tried a bump - still nothing. Thought it may need a new battery as it had just been sitting for 3 weeks without being ridden and is still on the original battery so got a new PC680 Odyssey thanks to the advice on this forum - fitted the new battery, still nothing.

At this stage, thought it was about time I let someone else worry about it as I was busy at work and that's what I pay my cash for.

One recovery truck from Dublin to my house (around £500 worth), another truck from my house to the dealers the next morning (around £150 worth), 2 weeks in the dealers with a failed cam chain, tensioner, guide and damaged valves and me driving around for 2 weeks in a complimentary brand new and fully-loaded BMW 320D.

Garage bill was around £1000, bill for the hire car was £1031, total cost of the exercise was £2,731. Total cost to me was my £100 voluntary excess.

All of a sudden the £300 annual warranty fee doesn't seem as expensive any more!

I should point that my bike is kept fully-serviced and up to date at the main dealers and I ride around 15,000 miles a year in all weathers as my only form of transport. The bike had 54,000 miles on it when the cam chain went.

I won't be missing a chance to renew my warranty for another 12 months next year!!

I rely on my bike and use it to get to and from work every day as well as using it for work when I'm there - the warranty is a no-brainer for me.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 7:36 am
Addict

wing and a prayer for me...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 8:15 am
Veteran

Yeah it's a crapshoot and a risk either way. I haven't done it. Dealer was nice to me under warranty and fixed a few things I wouldn't ordinarily expect, plus covered the jump guard and updated tensioner as well, they said if the owner inquired about it they could do it.

The center stand broke on me earlier this year and they took a hard line on it and said no, offered to weld it back together, which my brother could do for me as a professional welder, so passed on that (they didn't offer to do it for free).
Found one on eBay, which is the improved K1300 design, and got that installed myself, all in all cost me less than the dealer's offer to repair it.

So just an example of how the warranty may or may not help.

On a "late" K1300Gt I'd say for the most part the bugs were all worked out as far as potential grenanded engine, final drive, other enhancements like that, you even should be good on the control switches that were a problem on the earlier K13's.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 8:27 am
Addict

pretty much why i bought the bike used ,i saved at least 10 grand and i looked real hard and long for the rite one,she had 28-k on her and was owned prior to me by a very maticulous motorcycle officer, my bike was his personal bike and was in pristine shape and like you said had all the bugs worked out.and was very well maintained ,so i figured that was a good enough bet to go with ,so far ,new tire's battery and she's a well runn' machine ,not even a front end woe...lol

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 2:00 pm
Addict

Extended warranties usually aren't cost effective in most cases, although BMW seems to be desperately trying to change this...

The problem is you have to make back the warranty cost before you save any money and whether this will happen is pretty much a coin toss, although again, the pricier the parts and service the better the odds are of coming out ahead and BMW seems to be a class leader in that regard. A lot depends on whether you will be doing your own after-warranty service... if you do and your out-of-pocket expense is only parts then it probably would be difficult to come out ahead unless you are extremely unlucky, but if you will be paying the full cost of dealer service then an extended warranty may make more sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode