Repair your own defective K1200GT etc, ABS unit - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

Repair your own defective K1200GT etc, ABS unit

I am currently repairing my 2007 K1200GT ABS unit that has fault code "No power to ABS pump". The pump is repairable as the problem associated with this code is sticking brushes in the motor.

(This is the generation of ABS that does not power assist, but does emit continuous "clicks" when you activate the front brakes as it apportions a percentage of the front brake force to the rear.)

I have separated the pump from the ABS (to disassemble the pump and get at the motor brushes) but both the separation and reassembly is quite a nightmare and requires machine shop involvement. The ABS was not designed to taken apart.

However, I feel there is a way to access the brushes without taking the motor to bits. This involves strategically drilling access holes in the motor body and brush carrier plate to access the brushes.

Does anyone have a non functional ABS that I could have?? I am happy to pay for postage and will post my results if I come up with a successful procedure!

Thanks

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 4:54 pm
Enthusiast

Sorry no spare unit. But I do have a question... Is everything you are doing + still have to do, worth significantly less than $150 ? I ask because that's what Module Masters is charging to fix them (with a warranty). I completely understand if you simply like to tinker, but timewise is it worth it? After defeating the pressed points in the aluminum that hold the motor onto the valve assy what are your plans for re-attaching it securely back on? I'm just curious since my unit is also toast and I was looking at it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 7:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yes I do like to tinker and I like a challenging project. I got their quote too and suspect they are drilling through the sides to access the brushes.

A machine shop will pin the motor back to the body with a bar that spans two motor tabs on one side and then screws to where the tabs were pinched. It is hard to explain what I have in mind without a picture.

I have disassembled far more than needed as there was no repair manual for this one. I expect to spend about $125 in parts and machine shop time to fix it.
But, now that I know the insides, I think the way to go is to access the brushes by drilling into the motor casing with no disassembly needed. This would be a very fast fix (I think a half hour max) but to know where to drill, I need to have disassembled one completely and make measurements!

I hope to post a procedure for accessing the brushes if I can get a non-working unit to play with.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 9:19 pm
Addict

I admire your ingenuity and all but since you can get it repaired for about what it would cost you to attempt to fix it I might consider sending it in, if only because if you mess up you'll be out a couple grand for a new unit.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:02 pm
Enthusiast

Dennis, you would definately be on to something if you can find a simple (inexpensive), reliable way to access and replace the brushes. If I had a unit, I would send it your way for the experimental surgery. Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2012, 6:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

having opened it up the hard way, I am certain I can simply drill into the motor casing to expose the brush carriers.

I just need one to play with in case my drilling is imprecise! I don't want to destroy my ABS !

Dennis
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 7:15 am
Addict

Good luck. Very admirable. Brave. As others have said, since MM is now fixing this for those that don't want the $1886+ installation of BMW, I see little incentive to pursue self repair.

After all, if you mess up it's only your brakes on a 150mph bike

(BTW: I understand it is just the ABS, and you will have braking even if the ABS fails)

Your pioneering spirit may get you honorable mention in the Hall of Wisdom (or Folly).

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 12:29 pm
Noob

Sending mine to module master

I had a whole string going about my failure of K1200gt ABS module. I agree with Moyfurfs that tinkering with it is tempting but for the price of modulemaster.com how can you beat sending it in $150.
First I am an engineer and a former machinist. I love to tinker as well and think I can find a way to machine out the motor and reattach it... however what happens when the motor comes out? Do things go ping and pop out? (note nightmare from taking first BB gun apart at 6yrs old).
What brushes do you put back in? Are the brush holders bad as well? Where do you find brushes? Are you going to damage them while trying to modify them to fit?
I asked myself all these questions and just went and got a vacuum pump bleeder rental and drained the top part of the system. I am sending the unit off. I figure these guys at MM have figured it out, why let my self make a stupid little mistake and ruin the entire thing (like drilling into a hidden passage in the block?
Anyway that is my two cents. Good luck if you do it yourself. Once I get it back I will see how they did it and then may rebuild it the next time myself. As you can tell my confidence in this unit lasting if very high!!

Boggsy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Noob

modulemaster.com

I just contacted and they now charge $250, reasoning that they have had enough experience since last year that this is a fair price. I'm fine with it if it works vs. $1800 for a new unit. I'm waiting on a return call from the tech.

This site has helped me on a lot of topics that I need info on. Thanks to all that participate. Dean
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2013, 7:13 pm
Noob

Talking Module Master and Mortons BMW

I'm comfortable with removing the module myself but have decided to have Morton's BMW (they serve northern VA) reinstall it. The module master rebuild is $250 and the BMW install is $200. This way I get the 5 year warranty from MM as well as the Morton's guarantee on the work. Close to $500 but still much better than $1800. I wish I had a little more experience tinkering but as an accountant my mechanical knowledge leaves much desired so I'm fine with this fix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode