New York Show today! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

New York Show today!

Well, the new GT looks fine, I'm sure it's quick, however, IMHO when sitting on it I don't
Have the same feeling I have on my 04, it feels and looks like the many big touring bikes I have owned, and of course that's what it is, the 04 has a raw edge and great flowing lines and I can't wait to ride it again. Did I say this right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 8:24 pm
Enthusiast

At least in my case, I just am not ready to buy another bike. The most likely of my two bikes to be replaced is my '98 K12RS. I have ridden the new S. A fine bike and I probably will one day have one, just not today. Mostly because I'm happy with the two bikes I presently have. I suspect you are in a similar situation.

Jim
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 5:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgo
Well, the new GT looks fine, I'm sure it's quick, however, IMHO when sitting on it I don't
Have the same feeling I have on my 04, it feels and looks like the many big touring bikes I have owned, and of course that's what it is, the 04 has a raw edge and great flowing lines and I can't wait to ride it again. Did I say this right?
I sat on the new GT at the Javits show yesterday - strongest impression is that the riding position feels like the R12RT. Much bigger difference between this GT and the S than between the previous GT and the RS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:31 am

Seems we all had the same impression. The bike looks very nice in person, but the seating position was too vertical for me. I do like a little lean forward, but the GT felt like I was sitting on an LT.

I'm sure it would be a blast to ride, but I'm a little put off by the seating position. To be fair, the handle bars were in the high postion.

I'm now thinking more about the S. Just wish they'd put cruise control on it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:01 am

Cycle Show........

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclarkson
I sat on the new GT at the Javits show yesterday - strongest impression is that the riding position feels like the R12RT. Much bigger difference between this GT and the S than between the previous GT and the RS.
Sorry, I still think the thing is ugly. The lowers are just straight, no clean "flowing" lines like my '04. I like the mirror position though, being wide shouldered I have a tough time looking behind me. I want that motor, but will wait to see how it lasts/performs in the next couple years. Javits Center pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00010-1.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00006.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00002.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00004.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00015.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1582  

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 8:16 am

The GT looks good to me in pictures; perhaps it will look even better in person. Most of those complaining are owners of the current GT, which is just a lightly modified RS. (It reminds me of a Pontiac with all the body cladding.) Seems they are just defending their investments.

Ken
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 9:55 am
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencorsun
The GT looks good to me in pictures; perhaps it will look even better in person. Most of those complaining are owners of the current GT, which is just a lightly modified RS. (It reminds me of a Pontiac with all the body cladding.) Seems they are just defending their investments.

Ken
Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:27 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
The GT looks good to me in pictures; perhaps it will look even better in person. Most of those observing are owners of the current GT, which is a marked improvement over the RS. (It reminds me of a Contach with all the body cladding.) Seems they are pretty discriminating when it comes to good motorcycle design.

Ken
Fixed!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Angry New GT........

Quote:

Ken
PONTIAC, I'LL GIVE YA PONTIAC !!. Besides, I'm a Chrysler man.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2006, 1:59 pm

I agree. Waited to see the new K1200GT up close at the motorcycle show in NY to firm up my purchase.. And it hit me.......I went from being totally excited to totally dissapointed from my first look up close..The blinkers near the headlight and all that fairing enclosing the engine??? Even the bars seemed cheesy and the way they adjust..

IMHO all they had to do at BMW is take the new R1200RT styling as a base and add the K engine, drop the bars to make it more sport touring and install a lower fairing...Done. I think BMW put very little effort into designing this bike and it's a big dissapointment in my eyes..

I really tried to appreciate the bike and must have gone back to the BMW booth six or seven times to see if the bike would strike me.....I tried from every angle...NOPE???...

Love the product (BMW), So I went and purchased a 2005 K1200S on Sat..It's a nice bike and will do fine for sport touring. The bike fites me well at 5'10" and a 32" inseam and I find the fairing was well designed..No buffetting as I had on my older K1200RS...I love the lines also. The only thing I'd ask for is cruise and a larger usable gas tank and the K1200S would be complet..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode