post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 3:49 am Thread Starter

Garage
More reliable than you may think ....

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...0/14413-2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 7:38 am
Addict

exactly ,unfortunatefly the complainers on some forums are louder than most!!!

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 10:26 am
Rookie

Not a single peep about broken center stands, final drives, cam chain tensioners, or those incredibly cost effective ABS pumps that are not failing. Since they didn't interview me (an owner), I didn't figure it important to inform them my fuel gauge doesn't work either.

No doubt that there are owners whom have never had any issues and many of us join message boards to resolve issues we may be having. I've owned the bike for over 3 years now and certainly though I thoroughly enjoy riding it, it's hardly reliable. Of all the motorcycles I have owned, it's the least reliable by a considerable margin; a hard fact to swallow as it costs a whole lot more than my reliable rides.

Machines fail; I earn a living on this fact. Defects happen to the best of manufacturers no matter what sort of quality assurance is put into effect. Dozens of failures on the same component is a different story.

FS: 2007 Silver Metallic K1200GT - 21,000 miles. PM me if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2012, 7:28 am

More reliable than I think? No....

About half of the owners in their sample report one or more problems. "Overall these arenít not [sic] very good scores for such new bikes."

That's pretty consistent with my impression, especially when you figure in the reluctance of motojournalists to criticize anything too harshly.

Problem with "switchgear failure...stalling... self-discharging battery... clutch issues... antenna ring... issues with the airbox, typically causing a fast idle... cam chain tensioner problems... fuel gauge issues (often the sender)... gearbox problems... leaks from the shaft drive [by that they mean total final drive failure?]... faults with the suspension.... [various] electrical... one ownerís engine did lunch itself [probably cam chain jump]." These overlap well with what I'm hearing here. The only things they seemed to miss in a sample of 104 owners is the center stand and ABS module, but I may have forgotten others.

"Overall the faults are fairly minor and reasonably easy to rectify." I guess that depends on what you mean by "minor" and "easy."

For the record, I've have/had 5 of the issues in their list over the past 99,000 mi.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2012, 2:18 pm
Enthusiast

I think the numbers would be different if the poll was recent...the article is 2 years old..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2012, 6:34 am
Rookie

I find it reliable so far. The only thing that needed attention was the switches but now that they have been replaced everything has been fine..
I just try to ride and not think about it and if it breaks get it towed and go on with my trip. I rode a quick 8 hours to va with only stopping for fuel and when its on the highway cruising at legalish speeds i feel like its unstoppable..

09 K1300GT
06 K1200R (sold)
05 R1200GS (sold)
99 K1200LT
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Noob

2007 an "IFFY" investment

1st BMW a 1999 K1200RS - 60K Miles and ZERO problems. Traded for a new 2007 K1200GT that, after the early ECU and airbox problems were resolved, has been a joy to ride for the past 38K miles - UNTIL - this summer:

First - replace the throttle grip and cable set-up due failed return spring - a $280 job.
Second - the ABS pump failure problem - $2,100 P&L including diagnostic time.

HOWEVER - two years ago, during the "Final Drive" era and prior to a cross country trip, I "invested" $1,250 in a three years warranty extension policy that expires in April '13. Both repairs were paid for in full without any hassle. Clearly my first experience with an extended warranty, after 300K+ M/C miles (Harleys + BMWs) paid off.

While it was a relief that someone else paid the above $2,380 (less the $1,250 premium), I'm still concerned about the final drive issue. Major problem with BMW has been, first, their refusal to acknowledge there is a problem, and, second, their refusal to even subtly indicate that the problem has been resolved as of ???, or VIN #, etc.

Still love the bike! Thought about going for the K16 but after a 160 mile test drive find the K12 a more enjoyable ride.

Hal
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2012, 9:19 am

2006 K1200S: Cam Chain tensioner and final drive failure
2007 K1200GT: Center stand, air box, stalling, final drive leak, front brake master cylinder and calipers, cam chain jump and

BMW is 0 and 2 with me. As far as final drives; you can just carry a spare like most the IBA riders that still ride BMW's do. Especially the GS folks.

They didn't use me in the survey either.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Noob

I'm gonna chime in here....bought my 07 GT with 12,000 miles on it last winter, in a fit of emotion. Bought from my local dealer, where it had all its' services performed. Turns out original owner only lives a couple of miles from me and we converse regularly. Plus, my Parts Manager gave me its' warranty repairs history, which was only the key thingie. Didn't read these forums until after I bought the bike. Not a newbie, this is about my 10th BMW in 20+ years. Every different model, from Airheads to Singles to K Bikes ...you name it. Usually at least 2 around here at any given time. And never a new one. In over 200,000 + miles, I have never had a major repair on any of them. But after getting the GT and reading this and other K bike forums, I really wanted to get rid of the bike, at almost any cost. I wanted to take it to Colorado this past summer, but at the last minute I took my faithful GS for fear of the GT breaking down and costing me $ 1,000's in repairs. Keep in mind, the bike has never done anything to lead me to beleive me that it might break. But reading everything here sure had me worried. But here we are, at the end of another riding season, the GT just got it first replacement battery today( 5 years on the stock battery). It has fresh tires put on by me, an anti freeze flush done by yours truly, and fresh oil and filter. I've put 6,000 miles on it since I bought it without so much as a hiccup. Bike runs like a top. I think switching over to Rotella Syn 5w40 really made a big difference in how it starts ( quietly ) and just how much smoother everything seems to be. Never thought I would say that about an oil. I have finally learned how to shift the bike without it sounding like something is going to fall off, or out of, it. And I have given up the thought of having to trade it, along with my beloved GS, just to get rid of it. It always puts a smile on my face whenever I ride it. I have had several fast R bikes ( 1150 RS and 1200R) but the power of this bike is intoxicating. And you don't have to wack it open to feel it. During the 18,000 mile service, I will have the jump guard put in as well as having my timing chain measured. If it has stretched to out of spec, and I doubt it has, I'll have them replace it. But so far, the bike has been everything I was looking for, and has continued to maintain the BMW quality I have been fortunate to get out of all my BMW's. Perfect ? None are. But no complaints either.

Last edited by mikesbikes; Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:48 pm.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 7:09 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesbikes
I'm gonna chime in here....bought my 07 GT with 12,000 miles on it last winter, in a fit of emotion. Bought from my local dealer, where it had all its' services performed. Turns out original owner only lives a couple of miles from me and we converse regularly. Plus, my Parts Manager gave me its' warranty repairs history, which was only the key thingie. Didn't read these forums until after I bought the bike. Not a newbie, this is about my 10th BMW in 20+ years. Every different model, from Airheads to Singles to K Bikes ...you name it. Usually at least 2 around here at any given time. And never a new one. In over 200,000 + miles, I have never had a major repair on any of them. But after getting the GT and reading this and other K bike forums, I really wanted to get rid of the bike, at almost any cost. I wanted to take it to Colorado this past summer, but at the last minute I took my faithful GS for fear of the GT breaking down and costing me $ 1,000's in repairs. Keep in mind, the bike has never done anything to lead me to beleive me that it might break. But reading everything here sure had me worried. But here we are, at the end of another riding season, the GT just got it first replacement battery today( 5 years on the stock battery). It has fresh tires put on by me, an anti freeze flush done by yours truly, and fresh oil and filter. I've put 6,000 miles on it since I bought it without so much as a hiccup. Bike runs like a top. I think switching over to Rotella Syn 5w40 really made a big difference in how it starts ( quietly ) and just how much smoother everything seems to be. Never thought I would say that about an oil. I have finally learned how to shift the bike without it sounding like something is going to fall off, or out of, it. And I have given up the thought of having to trade it, along with my beloved GS, just to get rid of it. It always puts a smile on my face whenever I ride it. I have had several fast R bikes ( 1150 RS and 1200R) but the power of this bike is intoxicating. And you don't have to wack it open to feel it. During the 18,000 mile service, I will have the jump guard put in as well as having my timing chain measured. If it has stretched to out of spec, and I doubt it has, I'll have them replace it. But so far, the bike has been everything I was looking for, and has continued to maintain the BMW quality I have been fortunate to get out of all my BMW's. Perfect ? None are. But no complaints either.
i hear exactly what your saying ,thats why i dont take the info on these forum's to heart also what i find funny is that the few people with failure's all have had several thousand mile's on them and were all coverd under warranty (most anyway) and from what i've read the dealer if not coverd did what they could aswell and they still bad mouth the brand .bottom line is i know many more k-bike owner's MANY MORE that are totally thrilled with their kbike aswell as myself so thats why for me it is the ultimate...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode