Brake pad light again - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 3:17 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Brake pad light again

I had the pad light come on this spring, now just came on again, I was just driving down the road, not on the brakes at all. I didn't think that on an 07 that the light would go back off without the dealer restting something in the cluster, but the last time it came on it went back off itself, I had only checked the wiring a little didn't try very hard as I didn't think it would clear by itself. So don't know if I should try again or just hope it has a momentary open circuit and might take some time to clear itself.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Addict

A couple weekenda ago wife and I went on a ride in Northern California. Late in the day after riding we were getting on and off checking motels. The bike made a strange sound while I was shutting it off..more like a computer whirring....servos?...this while I was holding the brakes.

Upon restart with wife on we started to move and I noticed I had no brakes.
Pulled to the side of the road and shut down....restart all was good again.

I guess I didn't let the bike shut down properly...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I had the pad light come on this spring, now just came on again, I was just driving down the road, not on the brakes at all. I didn't think that on an 07 that the light would go back off without the dealer restting something in the cluster, but the last time it came on it went back off itself, I had only checked the wiring a little didn't try very hard as I didn't think it would clear by itself. So don't know if I should try again or just hope it has a momentary open circuit and might take some time to clear itself.
my 07 was intermittend last summer Gilly. This summer its stayed on
Haven't gotten around to shorting it or fixing it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2012, 6:24 am
Enthusiast

I took my front sensor off the pad and merely zip-tied it nearby, the rotor had just started to scuff the plastic housing. I'll relocate the rear soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2012, 11:58 am
Addict

Oh I took those sensor wires off the pads the first pad change. Like you did I zip tied them close by and they've been there for thousands of miles. No light for that hassle.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2012, 7:15 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks all, am taking the bike to get a 18K service done early next month, serv manager said they will see what's going on.
This might be a better time to start a new thread, but what are you guys paying for a major service? I will need the coolant replaced, and plugs i suppose. Dealer said they could skip the valve adjustment if i want as they haven't had to adjust one yet, he said I can save $300 by skipping the valves, but even then I think we're talking $700?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2012, 9:30 am
Veteran

Gilly, if you're not going to have the valves checked spend a hundred bucks on the vacuum kit and do the coolant yourself.

What the hell are they doing for $700 if they aren't checking valves?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
What the hell are they doing for $700 if they aren't checking valves?
It must include tire(s),

My 24K check up included the 18K stuff( waited till 24K), valve check, spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, ALL fluids changed including oil, rear drive, brake fluid, and anti freeze and the cam chain jump guard added and it was $600 and pennies. All valves in spec.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Last edited by Meese; Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:00 pm. Reason: fixed quote tags
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2012, 7:28 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the input. I did email an alternate dealer for a quote as a reality check.
I just hate to switch dealers, the one I use is closest, although still a ways to go, the other would be even further and more suburban to get to. Plus I have been going to this dealer for like 25 yrs, they have always treated me right, but certainly a sticker shock when he told me a grand for a service. Am getting a price from the other dealer with and without valve adjustment.
Don't think I'll be buying the vacuum kit to do it myself though.
I do know he said that included the final drive oil change, FWIW. Air filter, fuel filter, etc.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2012, 7:30 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840
It must include tire(s),
NO it sure can't include tires. I've gotten a quote on them for tires before, they are high on tires too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode