Do I have a shot at getting this covered by BMW? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2012, 4:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Do I have a shot at getting this covered by BMW?

Long story short, I've been having some problems with my K12GT which were thought to be related to fuel and battery issues. Monday morning I went out to start the bike before my commute and an EWS warning came up. I thought it was odd, so I turned it off and then back on - same warning. Then I used the emergency switch and powered back on - no dice. I had no choice to ride the cage into work.

I came home and started to diagnose the problem. I started with my extra keys and still got the same warning. I then started to look at the "key antenna" and found the wires going into it to find that one of the wires had completely severed. I am starting to wonder if THIS is what was causing my issues...

I hastily ordered the part but started doing some research on the forums here and elsewhere no find nothing related to my problem. Then today I stumbled upon a technical bulletin (not sure if it is quite a recall or not; see attachment) stating that this is an issue and should be repaired. My bike being an '06 and with 28k miles, I'm thinking I have no chance in hell of getting a goodwill repair from BMW. But I have seen others on here get some help, so...is it even worth me trying to get some help from BMW/the dealer on this issue? Or should I just go ahead and rewire the thing myself? Just lookin' for insight....

Thanks guys and gals...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 61 001 07 (001) - K1200GT cable routing of EWS ring.pdf (202.1 KB, 29 views)

Regarding hi-viz gear: "It's better to be seen and laughed at than not to be seen and cried over."

"Every motorcyclist starts out with a bag full luck and a empty bag of skill. The trick is to fill your bag with skill before you bag of luck runs out."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Addict

BMW assistance often seems to be based on the phase of the moon, but there's no harm in trying. At the very least they might split the cost, or cover parts but not labor, etc. You won't know unless you ask.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2012, 6:44 pm
Addict

i think alot of it is going to be based on you and your dealers relaitionship,i've alway's preached the fact that with these bike's it's best to have a on going relaitionship with your dealer and it's service dept i feel that with my relaitionship with my dealer and if i had your problem i feel they would take care of it.like they do everything else on my bike..good luck i hope it work's out for you

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-ss
i think alot of it is going to be based on you and your dealers relaitionship,i've alway's preached the fact that with these bike's it's best to have a on going relaitionship with your dealer and it's service dept i feel that with my relaitionship with my dealer and if i had your problem i feel they would take care of it.like they do everything else on my bike..good luck i hope it work's out for you
I think you may be covered under a recall. I had an 06 and it was recalled for the key ring. I am not sure what the issue was but they should be able to run your VIN. I just wish they would have had a recall on the cam chain, gears, tensioner and center stand. That would have been helpful. Good luck!

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951vbs
I just wish they would have had a recall on the cam chain, gears, tensioner and center stand. That would have been helpful. Good luck!

You forgot the final drive.

If BMW says no I wouldn't waste much time and energy fighting it. I would break out my soldering gun, exacto knife and heat shrink tubing and repair it.

And ditto on the "Good luck!"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2012, 9:28 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
and the ABS modules

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
If BMW says no I wouldn't waste much time and energy fighting it. I would break out my soldering gun, exacto knife and heat shrink tubing and repair it.
I agree. Fighting the issue will take 10-100x longer than just fixing it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2012, 2:12 pm
Rookie

I spoke with a BMW Rep about my transmission issue -- Not covered.

The process they go through
  • Are you the Original/First Owner? (No, you're SOL)
  • Are you within One Year of Warranty (Full Coverage could be yours)
  • Over one Year( 1/2 Parts )
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 4:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90jimmy
I spoke with a BMW Rep about my transmission issue -- Not covered.

The process they go through
  • Are you the Original/First Owner? (No, you're SOL)
  • Are you within One Year of Warranty (Full Coverage could be yours)
  • Over one Year( 1/2 Parts )
And this is what I thought..because admittedly, if I were in their shoes, I would think the same way. I am the second owner of this bike and lets not forget the fact that its now 6, maybe 7 years old!

Anyways, I ended up ordering the part for $36 and followed the instructions for repair that I posted above. Took about 2.5 hours taking my time. I did note that the air filter was damn-near black - I wonder if its ever been changed! I also noted that this has been worked on before (see the pics). It was apparently cut from within the connector before and someone sliced and repaired the wire with some other wire. Then it was all taped together.

Despite the kick in the pants with all of this, the bike is now working and ready for some more smiles!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-22_16-34-09_431.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	13845   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-22_16-34-16_954.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	13846  

Regarding hi-viz gear: "It's better to be seen and laughed at than not to be seen and cried over."

"Every motorcyclist starts out with a bag full luck and a empty bag of skill. The trick is to fill your bag with skill before you bag of luck runs out."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode