Oil Filter Tool - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2012, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Smile Oil Filter Tool

Has anybody found an oil filter tool that is thin enough to fit over the oil filter in a K1300 GT without loosening the shifting lever and bracket? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2012, 10:50 pm
JCW
contributor

i cut a v notch into one of those metal strap filter wrenches I had lying around.

BMW sells their filter tool which fits on the end of the filter I believe.

If you bring the filter to an autoparts store, there are generic filter wrenches that will fit as well.

marc parnes, A&S, san Jose, bob's bmw, and others all carry some type of aftermarket filter wrench.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Last edited by JCW; Sep 20th, 2012 at 10:57 pm.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2012, 12:19 am
Addict

I use a pair of oil filter pliers. They are available just about everywhere and require no clearance on the end of the filter..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2012, 4:07 am
Veteran

The REAL tip is that there are 2 different filters a longer and a shorter. The shorter you can install and remove without any real tricks, the longer one you have to take the plate off, or at least I've had to. The wrench doesn't matter, if it's the long filter, you can't even get the thing to come out from in between there without loosening or taking off the plate.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2012, 8:40 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
I use a pair of oil filter pliers. They are available just about everywhere and require no clearance on the end of the filter.
2nd on those pliers.

The cup types often slip and are messy to clean up. Sometimes the filters are a little off and the cup won't fit at all. Other times they will bind onto the filter and you have to knock them off with a hammer (or use wax paper between them and the filter, which is still an oily mess.). I use the pliers on the S1000RR as well as the car. Doesn't take too much turning to get it loose and just a little "Umph!" to get it tight.

I have used a small strap wrench but they can be difficult to get a handle swing on and are also messy to clean up. So the pliers it is.

Mack
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2012, 8:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
The REAL tip is that there are 2 different filters a longer and a shorter. The shorter you can install and remove without any real tricks, the longer one you have to take the plate off, or at least I've had to. The wrench doesn't matter, if it's the long filter, you can't even get the thing to come out from in between there without loosening or taking off the plate.

What he said...!

Kbikeinbc

07 Kgt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 6:55 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Off topic: I have wondered if the longer can does a better job at filtering the oil, because I assume that it has more filter material inside. Which one is the "official" filter for my K1200GT? Is it the same "official" filter for all 2006+ K1200/1300GTs?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 7:58 pm

I am not too sure which one is actually the 'listed' item for the K bikes but I figure with regular oil changes I would have little to worry about with the difference in size...the way I am thinking only if I would go to the max time/mileage/service indicator would there be a difference in filter flow

kbikeinbc
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 8:17 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbikeinbc
..the way I am thinking only if I would go to the max time/mileage/service indicator would there be a difference in filter flow
And probably not even then. If you keep to any kind of sane oil change interval then I think either filter type would be more than adequate.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2012, 8:22 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
And probably not even then. If you keep to any kind of sane oil change interval then I think either filter type would be more than adequate.

+1..
When I went in to order but a couple of the short filters I gave the dealer the part #. Then, of course, he wants to know what bike they are for. I tell him and as he is getting ready to tell me it's not the correct one I tell him I'm not inclined to make an oil change more difficult than it needs to be . He chuckled and agreed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode