Sargent seat owners - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Sargent seat owners

Greetings. I've known for a couple years that a K1300GT would be in my garage at some point. This summer I figured it was time to upgrade my beloved Kawasaki ZRX1200 and purchased a 2010 K1300GT (arrest me red) with 4,000 miles on the clock. I have issues with two things on the GT. One is the windscreen and the other is the seat. I can't believe that I had quieter air on the tiny screen on the ZRX than the huge windshield on the K1300. I found lots of information here, and other sites about the windscreen. Seems like everyone is different and has different expectations so I will start the trial and error process with Cal Sci, as they are near me and they have offered to let me try one. The stock seat is just too soft for me and too slippery for my wife. I feel like I am riding on a water bed. I would like to get some feedback from the Sargent owners here. Specifically, it says on their website that the standard Sargent seat is one half inch lower than the stock BMW seat. The stock BMW seat is just right for me and I don't want a new seat to be any lower. Do you feel the Sargent seat is hard enough that it offsets the soft spongy stock seat and you basically end up at the same height? Is the Sargent pretty level or does it slope forward? If you get the heat option, is this feature done in a quality manner and work as well as the stock seat? What are your overall thoughts of the Sargent? If you carry a passenger, is the passenger happy with the Sargent?

Sargent has a loaner basis where you basically purchase a "returned" seat at a discount and you have the option of sending it back (or you can keep it). I can do this, but am looking for opinions ahead of time so I can decide if it is worth going through the process.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2012, 9:54 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I have the Sargent seat, it is much firmer than the stock BMW seat. So there is less compressing of the foam. For me it is about an 9-10 hour seat than I want off the bike. My wife likes it, we have done several long days and it is much better for us than the BMW seat.

I wanted the low Sargent which is lower than the low BMW seat. Short inseam, and I road mostly sport bikes before the GT, the tight knee bend that some complain about on the GT is roomy after an Yamaha R1.

You could always add lowering pegs if you want more room, things don't drag on the GT unless you ride it like an R1

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2012, 9:33 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks . I was beginning to think no one with a GT had ever used a Sargent. I think I'm going to try a Rick Mayer. I am only 5 hours from him and he seems to get pretty good reviews overall, considering how individual seats are. He does "ride-ins on Thursdays and Saturdays, where he makes the seat while you wait. The price is very reasonable and he can re-use the BMW heating elements. Thanks again for your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2012, 11:08 am
Rookie

I bought my GT used and it had a Corbin seat on it, which to me felt as hard as I rock. I had wished it had the original seat as I liked the seats on my RTs. When I started looking for a seat at what I thought was a reasonable price I ended up with a Sargeant seat. It is a comfortable seat and much more reasonably priced than the Corbin. I'd recommend one.

TexSon
1979 R65
2007 K1200GT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
Thanks . I was beginning to think no one with a GT had ever used a Sargent. I think I'm going to try a Rick Mayer. I am only 5 hours from him and he seems to get pretty good reviews overall, considering how individual seats are. He does "ride-ins on Thursdays and Saturdays, where he makes the seat while you wait. The price is very reasonable and he can re-use the BMW heating elements. Thanks again for your post.
I had a Sargent and although it was way better than stock it was not good for a 800 mile day. I went with a Russell Day-long and my butt was happy for the last 60,000 miles! From what I have read the Mayer seats are very similar, go for it.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2012, 7:48 pm
Noob

I put on a Sargent only a few thousand miles ago but have found that:

-you have to change the electrical connectors for the heated seats. No biggie, but it's not as easy to swap back and forth.

-the overall quality is great, really well designed and well built.

-I find the extra stiffness and the slightly different cut to be more comfortable on the few longer rides I have done with the new seat. I would want to have a few more long rides is before saying its just a little more comfortable or a lot more comfortable.

-The material Sargent uses is much more slippery than the stock seats. It seems a little weird at first. Its easy for the driver to get used to but my wife found it too slippery when riding two-up. This was cured with an inexpensive rear seat cover. She liked the extra stiffness too, otherwise I would have put the original passenger seat back on ( but definitely kept the driver seat).

-If you frequently ride two-up the optional passenger back rest works great if you don't have (or want to use) a top case.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2012, 10:17 pm
Noob

In the minority here, but you asked...

Tried a Sargent Seat on my new2me 1200GT. For 30 miles. Took me two days to recover from the sore *ss syndrome. Not that the stock seat was any real gem either.

Granted I have a tender tush, but the Sargent simply felt like I was riding on a concrete saddle with little or no give in it at all. No I didn't give it a couple thousand miles to break it in, but I did turn around and resell it for what I had in it - took the money and ran to a local seat guru that refashioned the stock seat with new memory foam, a better front to back slide ratio, and covered the whole shebang in gorgeous black waffle weave vinyl ($200 out the door).

The seat makes the GT a truly great ride now. For the money, I'd visit someone that can fit the saddle to you, rather than you to the saddle.

Mark Ackerman
'07 K1200GT
Connellys Springs, NC

''99 R1100RT - "aRTie", sold
'87 R80RT - "Mr. Beemer" traded
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2012, 7:04 pm
Noob

I love my Sargent WorldSport.....Had a Corbin on my previous ride, and yes - it was a very firm seat. The Sargent is just right for me.....very comfortable all day long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode