High Beam HIDs feedback needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:47 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

High Beam HIDs feedback needed

After searching, I still can't find anyone's experience/results in installing HID lights in place of the 2 high beam bulbs...

As it stands now, I currently run the Osram (off-road) 85w bulbs, I'm just not that impressed. I saw that a good amount of the light is put down in front of me on the road...I mean JUST in front of me (like a low beam should..and yes, they are seated correctly in the sockets). My stock xenon low beam is quite capable and I'm happy with it and the adjustment of it seems about perfect. I commute at night, mostly 2 lane roads. I thought they (high beams) were so crappy that I have experimented by running the high beams against oncoming traffic (not something I wish to do) and never got flashed...not once I do run a Cee Bailey's clear headlight guard where the crease is just at the top of the high beams but I wouldn't think it would screw up the pattern that much...

Anyone here installed the HIDs in their high beam? What is your opinion? I have the slim ballast H7 HIDs ready to go but before I tear the bike apart I'm wondering if it's worth it. No LED driving lights yet...those will be forthcoming (I have no doubt that they would out perform the high beam I have now)...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 11:37 pm
Enthusiast

H7 Hid

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
After searching, I still can't find anyone's experience/results in installing HID lights in place of the 2 high beam bulbs...

As it stands now, I currently run the Osram (off-road) 85w bulbs, I'm just not that impressed. I saw that a good amount of the light is put down in front of me on the road...I mean JUST in front of me (like a low beam should..and yes, they are seated correctly in the sockets). My stock xenon low beam is quite capable and I'm happy with it and the adjustment of it seems about perfect. I commute at night, mostly 2 lane roads. I thought they (high beams) were so crappy that I have experimented by running the high beams against oncoming traffic (not something I wish to do) and never got flashed...not once I do run a Cee Bailey's clear headlight guard where the crease is just at the top of the high beams but I wouldn't think it would screw up the pattern that much...

Anyone here installed the HIDs in their high beam? What is your opinion? I have the slim ballast H7 HIDs ready to go but before I tear the bike apart I'm wondering if it's worth it. No LED driving lights yet...those will be forthcoming (I have no doubt that they would out perform the high beam I have now)...
Well the soft copper tubeing fits prety good if it is like the old k1200rs , look at my post in that section too see if it will work for you , I did have to sand/file the outside of the copper tube ( standard household size) down a bit , if it was perfectly round you might not have to sand it some , or just make sure the hole is nice and clean/round .
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2012, 3:58 am
Veteran

He wants to install HID's, not make a still.....

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2012, 5:25 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
He wants to install HID's, not make a still.....

cool, I thought it was just me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2012, 10:54 am
Addict

If it helps I run both low and high Hids on my K1200RS. The problem you have with a single low HID and tungsten high is the tungsten lamp is probably not the same color temperature and it gets washed out by the HID low. That is what I found before I hidded the high beam. If the headlight guard has any pattern to it, it might scatter a HID light and that will also cause annoyance to oncoming. It is the main reasons why headlamp glasses with HID lamps behind need to be kept clean.

I don't know what the lamp and reflector is like on this gen of bike, but on the older K12 you could never really see what the high beam lamp pattern was. Now I have hidded mine, I can see it is a long straight pencil beam and quite tightly focussed. That makes it a bit eerie to drive with because it seems like the bike is on the end of a pendulum string,

I do not do flashing anymore so the second or so pause for the high beam to reach full brightness from cold does not bother me. However, the high beam will bother oncoming and you will get flashed. If you are going to try hidding the main beam, it will work fine if you ride long roads with infrequent oncoming when you can kill the main and bring it back up whilst the lamp is still hot. But you will not find it so good on busy roads or in cities. Make sure you match the color temperature to the low beam lamp you already have.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2012, 10:23 pm
Rookie

I'm running HIDs in all three of the headlights on my '07 GT. When you turn on the high beams it throws a huge amount of light down the road. It's truly the best way to light up any road at night. You will have to dim them for oncoming traffic - when they're all on it looks like a nuclear furnace.

Bruce Hodges
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2012, 5:20 am
Addict

Yep, I got the K12 high and low plus two 35w auxiliaries that come on with high beam. I swear oncoming could easy see the light a mile away!

Oncoming on unlit dark narrow twisty country roads is the biggest problem for oncoming, Some do not even like the low beam hid, although I had the beams checked out on a tester.

That is worth doing, because you can get away with a bit of misalignment and light spill with tungsten lamps, but not Hid.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:12 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I'm all about nuclear furnaces. Tks that's what I wanted to hear.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2012, 1:00 pm
Noob

I have high and how beam HID bulbs in my '07 K1200GT. I absolutely love them. Got them from ddmtuning.com
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2012, 2:24 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Is the light adequate as the HID lights fire up in high beam, and how much time delay in going to full bright on the high beams.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode