Bad Luck / Good Outcome - extended warranties and great dealer service - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Bad Luck / Good Outcome - extended warranties and great dealer service

I own a 2007 K1200GT SE, ride every single day of the year as my sole form of transport (all year round) and average between 15-20,000 miles a year. My current steed has 54,000 miles on it (9,000 when I bought it) and I have taken out the extended warranty on it each year since (including breakdown cover).

Shortly after hitting 54,000 miles the bike mysteriously conked out after a 100 mile ride, failing to start and showing all the signs of a flat battery. With a quick dip into this forum, I ordered my new Odyssey and fitted it - to no avail, same problem. I availed of my warranty breakdown cover and after a short trip to the dealers I was notified that the cam chain had broken causing valve damage and all that goes with it. The bike was off the road for 2 weeks and the warranty had me driving around in a top of the range, brand new and fully loaded 320D. The final bill (inlcuding car hire and recovery) was in the region of 2,700. It cost me my 100 voluntary warranty excess and not a penny more.

The bike was back on the road for 1 week before the rear ESA shock collapsed and sprayed damping oil all over the rear tyre, shaft, etc. Thankfully nothing worse than that and the bike was back off to the dealers with a very clear steer from the warranty booklet that the rear shock was only covered up to 30,000 miles. I was back in a 320D - this time an estate version. I have to say that my dealer was superb, knew me and my bike and also knew that it goes there for all of its servicing. They also know that this was the second bike I had bought from them (having an 1150GS before this) and that I was likely to be buying a third maybe next year sometime. With this in mind, they made out a "goodwill" case to BMW who agreed to pay 80% of the bill - the total excercise cost me around 400 rather than nearer to 2,000.

In short, whilst I'm a bit fed up with so much major stuff going wrong with my bike in such a short space of time, I was pleased with the end result and now have a sparkly new rear shock to show for it which will hopefully last me until I want to get rid of the bike.

The extended warranty (for me at least) was a no-brainer and something that I will always stay on top of - at 300 per year it just makes sense and takes all the worry out of it for me. And, just for a change, I have a good word to say about the dealership who couldn't have been more helpful and understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 12:15 pm
Addict

Smart man...

Glad everything worked out.

I think all would agree that considering the price of these bikes, none of this should be happening in the first place.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 1:41 pm
Enthusiast

Glad to hear a positive dealer/customer relationship . I would continue to support them also given your experiences.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
Glad to hear a positive dealer/customer relationship . I would continue to support them also given your experiences.
What happened to the BMW's that could go 200,000 miles? This is definately the bike to have an extended warranty on. Good luck to those who don't. Has anyone ever put 100,000 miles on a slant 4 K bike with no major problem?

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 9:31 pm
Addict

very nice glad it worked out...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:00 pm
Enthusiast

Good to hear Dazzle, although I also have a Co Car, I have put 25,000 on my K13GT in the last year, my Factory Warranty runs until January and Im sure I will be having the extended afterwards. The factory warranty has so far saved me 2000 odd in the first year of ownership!!

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2012, 4:16 am Thread Starter

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
As a side note, I also have to say that the level of service from the warranty company (Mondial in the UK for BMW) in a breakdown situation was stand clear superb. Not only did I get treated like royalty (rare for a bike rider), my every need / requirement was catered for concerning onward transport, etc. and 2 weeks later I received a full case of M&S red wine through the post for the inconvenience caused when they were an hour later than promised! As they say, Carlsberg don't do breakdowns........

(interesting to note from the hire car company that if you are a BMW customer, then BMW insist that you have to be given a BMW car / bike as a replacement).

I would agree with the earlier comments though concerning reliability and the fact that these bikes are meant to be near the top of the food chain for two wheels.

I really did not expect BMW to stand over the rear shock when the warranty was explicit about the fact it was no longer covered - to offer to pay 80% was a result as far as I'm concerned and whilst I was showing a bit of interest in the new Triumph Trophy for next year, this whole positive experience has swung me back round to the BMW brand.

I know from these forums that not everyone's experience has been as positive as this and there is still a good argument that the stuff that went wrong on my bike shouldn't have happened in the first place but (and my reason for posting in the first place) I would be the first to come on here and start moaning if things had gone badly so why not "spread the love" when it goes well for a change!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode