New to me 2007 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 8:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New to me 2007 K1200GT

Hi there,

Just picked up a K1200GT, I like most everything about the bike, especially the handling, however the wind noise is pretty bad. I am 6'2" with a long torso and the bike is fitted with Heli bar adapter that moves the bars closer and higher, so I think my head ends up above the protected area of the screen. If I take the adapter off and go to stock do you think it will be a big enough difference in height to quiet the ride down. On a separate note this bike has 30K miles, the ABS pump has been replaced as has the ring antenna. There is an occasional chain rattle on start-up so I trying to figure out if I should instill the later tensioner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Addict

For lowest noise you want to either be behind the screen or above it. If you are in the range where the turbulence off of the top hits your helmet directly (and it sounds like that might be the case for you with the bike in its current configuration) then it's going to be noisy. The K-GT isn't considered particularly noisy by most so I think you'll be able to find a sweet spot.

Regarding the noise at startup, sounds like you may not have the upgraded tensioner installed. I'd get that and install the jump guard pronto.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 4:03 am
Veteran

Is it the stock windshield ya think?
You should be able to move around to be able to tell what direction you need to go, at 6-2 you might need a taller windshield. Also the seat can adjust up/down, see what position it is at now. Also at your height you might need a peg lowering kit.
Yeah get the engine work done soooon.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 6:54 am Thread Starter
Noob

The seat is set on high, the windshield is all the way up, it is the stock shield. About the chain rattle it does not do that all the time, I was under the impression that it is kind of normal? The jump guard seems like a good idea and I will go ahead and do that really soon regardless, the upgraded tensioner seems easy to do as well. I am a half decent wrench so I guess these two items are really not that hard to do from what I saw on the youtube video.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 7:30 pm
Enthusiast

Did it a while back..

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25399

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2012, 7:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

Is there a preference regarding the manual adjuster or the automatic one that is oil filled
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2012, 8:50 am
Enthusiast

The preference is that the manual tensioner isn't going to let the chain produce slack (noise and the potential to jump a tooth or two and cause you $$$$). The BMW units need the oil pressure to build to produce the tension. There have been instances of even the "updated" BMW tensioner also letting the chain jump. Make sure you install a jump guard while you have the panel off. That part is like $8 (yes I know, "It's a BMW part and it's only $8 ????!!!!"). It's also very easy to install.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:37 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
That part is like $8 (yes I know, "It's a BMW part and it's only $8 ????!!!!"). It's also very easy to install.

It was $6....BMW should have upped it to at least $45 by now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Veteran

I haven't had the chain rattle with either the old or new/updated tensioner. I know I did read somewhere (MOA mag possibly) about some of the new style tensioners being bad out-of-the-box. You won't find a complaint like this about the Ape manual tensioner. I am happy having the updated BMW tensioner.
Lots of info on the net about the new tensioner.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode