Best cover for the Big K? Show yours, eh? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2012, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Best cover for the Big K? Show yours, eh?

So, I've searched the threads for info on bike-covers and I'm comin' up a little short...

The threads I've seen are all a few years old and I'm hoping you veteran K-Bikers will show off your latest & greatest covers. Not the ones on your waterbeds, rather the cover you use on your bikes... (sorry, but I knew Meese was about to snap a pic of his bedroom & post it )

I saw one in MI a while back (which a guy was using to cover his Aprilias) and it was pretty cool. It was like a Geza, but smaller. I can only describe it as a "pup-tent" for his bike. It covered the gauges, bars, seat and wrapped around the tail. Kept the dust and rain off, but was micro-stowable and I think that's what I'd like to try and find but, searches have only turned up full-covers, Geza's and EZ's...

Anybody want to show me a pic of your bike's raincoat?

Biggest concern I have about a full or half cover is scratching the hyper-delicate CalSci windshield I'm currently sporting...

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2012, 7:44 pm
Addict

my cover is called .........a garage..lol

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 7:01 am
Noob

Here are the two I am looking at, I do not have either yet. The price for the BMW cover is much higher so I am not sure if it worth the extra money. Maybe someone else will add to this thread. Even if you have a garage a cover is a good idea if you have kids or animals that also use the garage.
http://www.carscover.com/BMW-K-1200-...-SP3492NB.html
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=24999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 11:26 am
Addict

Depending on its ultimate goal I have seen a camoflage bike cover (a subdued grey/brown) that did what I thought was its purpose.

That is...make the bike disappear amongst the background clutter. It was in a large parking lot with car, trucks and the islands that have bushed and trees.
On a quick glance of the lot by thieves a bike with a normal cover would stand out big time. This bike blended in with the clutter.

http://www.amazon.com/Dowco-50007-01.../dp/B000JFMGTO
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2012, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBite
So, I've searched the threads for info on bike-covers and I'm comin' up a little short...

Anybody want to show me a pic of your bike's raincoat?

Thanks in advance!
I'm fortunate enough to have a great workshop with space for my motorcycles but because I'm not always at the house, I'm very pleased with my Dowco Guardian covers. I first bought the heavy-duty one which has a breather tab, alarm pocket and flannel-type material for the windshield. This is a very nice cover but is large and takes up valuable space for the long trips.

For my regular travels and rally cover I bought the ultralight which I use for both my R bikes as well as the K75S. It covers the bike as well as the side cases to keep that morning dew away. After all it never rains at rallys!

I've attached pics of the ultralight and full cover in their respective bags and the ultralight on the K75S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04497.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	13920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	13921  

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2012, 6:41 pm
Noob

GT Covers

FWIW, here's my experience:

Geza - nice cover, won't scratch your bike (although I don't have experience with the Calsi screen), fits well, bit pricey. I had the elite series material and for indoor storage it was maybe just a bit of overkill. Not totally waterproof, but close. I used mine to cover both an RT and the GT while carrying it on the back of our motorhome. Never had an issue with quality or workmanship in 2 years constant use.

Sknz - nice well made cover, very similar to the Geza but for less $$$. A bit heavier material than the same size Geza. Has additional webbing/buckles on the bottom that Geza doesn't to secure the cover. Not waterproof, but very water-resistant. Also used this to cover GT while transporting bike on MH with no issues at all. The website doesn't list the 1200/1300 GT but I can assure you the K1600GT cover fits just fine (without saddle bags on the bike).

Sknz found here: http://goo.gl/DlesJ

Pilot Automotive - found on Amazon. Best $17.99 ever spent on a bike cover. With free shipping for Amazon Prime. XL fits the GT perfectly, would even cover with saddlebags, but it might be a bit tight. Not perfectly waterproof as the seams leak a bit, but overall a very nice cover for the $$. I use this when the bike is staying outside while traveling and when the bike is stored indoors. So far it's lasted over 6 months with no issues. Looks like it's still brand new. Available in colors, but per other reviewers, the silver cover seems to be the best for outdoor use.

Found here on Amazon: http://goo.gl/yCYVv

Mark Ackerman
'07 K1200GT
Connellys Springs, NC

''99 R1100RT - "aRTie", sold
'87 R80RT - "Mr. Beemer" traded
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2012, 11:39 pm
Enthusiast

I have a Nelson Rigg.Fits nice, and lifetime warranty.

2007 Bmw k1200GT (My Vroom Bike)
1995 BMW k1100lt (Sold) (My mini-bus)
1998 BMW k1200rs Taxi (Sold) (Didn't get to say goodbye)
1986 BMW k100rt (My classic and first, Restore in Progress)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHEMWICK
I have a Nelson Rigg.Fits nice, and lifetime warranty.

Agreed. I have two Nelson Riggs....one for home and one at work. It's faded due to the sun but is still hanging in there.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode